TOYOTA YARIS ENGINE

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: TOYOTA YARIS ENGINE

Postby Boet » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:47 pm

I was in contact with the guy at ecoyota in Froggies today. He says not to use Bosch system. Eese not good for 100hp..... ( His Angliase ise verry bad, but se companeee do work for se Renault F1 team) He probably knows what he is talking about. Sent me some pictures, and all the while I am learning. :wink: :wink: I have now seen what petrol pump he is using, what filter etc.
Spent most of yesterday and today planning an making the engine mount ring for the engine. Quite a puzzle! First had to plan and make a jig to weld everything together on, otherwise everything will just warp, and nothing will fit. The thinghy that I am pointing to, is a steel fitting that the engine mount tubes will be welded onto, I have 4 very strong mounting points on this engine. ( Almost like someone knew this engine will land up in an aircraft!! vhpy ) According the Froggie expert, weight the same as the 912. But depending on state of tune, 80 OR 100hp. A 120hp turbo charged model is in the pipeline as well. I now have to negotiate a deal with Ecoyota, to buy ONLY the components that I need. I do not have extra mula to throw around, for things that I can either make myself, or source locally. This is now getting very exiting!! (^^)
Attachments
yaris mount.JPG
yaris mount.JPG (65.15 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
Yaris mount 2.JPG
Yaris mount 2.JPG (54.53 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
Yaris mount 3.JPG
Yaris mount 3.JPG (54.38 KiB) Viewed 6316 times
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:25 am

Boet, keep going mate, the industry needs this...just remember we have the foundry in our complex, so ally castings are easy for me to source.

This project now needs a name, no fancy ecofly, diesel e power or whatever..this is a generic South African project the "Yarboet"...

Well done

Paul
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:07 am

All sounds easy I have been on just that path with the BM. But we need this kind of thinking. Summing it up just take the little fan of on the one side of the crank and put a big fan on the other side and ""Viola" bolt it on an engine mount in the aircraft and you are finished. We do not count the hours of thinking etc etc etc. It is a very exciting project and good luck and stamina.
I agree at making things locally. Pity only is the relatively small numbers of any production.

Cheers Oupa-G
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:26 am

Oupa is right. I just sat and looked at this engine, planning, finding out more and learning before I really started doing anything. It is not easy. I know abselutely buggerall about fuel injection. But I can learn. Letter off to France last night to see if I can milk out some more info...... vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:56 am

Boet wrote:I know abselutely buggerall about fuel injection. But I can learn. Letter off to France last night to see if I can milk out some more info
Boet, as this is a local development, why not keep it local.

Pieter de Weerdt - Dastek in Pretoria - over the years has developed the Unichip piggyback system for the GTi engines in the cars that he has raced. It is a complete fuel injection/timing control system, that works in conjunction with the engine's original Bosch system.

His development is fenominal. He has now took a Lamborgini Gallardo, fitted two turbo chargers and additional injectors, which help push the power on the motor to over 1100 hp. He has done this to show the capabilities of his new Unichip Q system. The power output of the engine can even be managed with bluetooth from his cellphone, if he gives the car to his wife. :wink:

I had the unichip on my Golf a while ago, a friend had a 2.0 l golf engine installed in his kombi, which he had the unichip managed, and I currently have it on an '84 Porsche Carrera with some engine mods. It works flawlessly, and the power/torque gains are significantly.

http://www.dastekpower.com/U-Connect-index.html

Read the Q & A on this website.

http://www.autodesigns.com.sg/unichip_faq.htm

Something to ponder about.
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:55 pm

Thanks for the info. I will contact these guys.!! The power of Microlighters at work!! Just lurf it when a plan starts going together!! (!!)
PeterH
Signed up at flight school

Postby PeterH » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:22 pm

Boet ek brand en kon nie hiervoor wag nie VW haak redelik tussen die rotse vas maar hierdie YARIS lyk of hy goed kan werk teen die Weskus. Hetjou ## ## ## ## ## (^^)
PeterH
Signed up at flight school

Postby PeterH » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:24 pm

Ek het vergeet BLOEMFONTEIN.Miskien te lig vir 'n anker. (^^)
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:06 pm

Go Boet Go! (^^)

We need a cost effective reliable engine option for homebuilts. With the experience Oupa & Co have on The Beemer motor I am sure you will be able to speed up the development. The biggest concern I have over the BM motor is availabilty but I do think its a brilliant machine and with the thoroughness that the Dville team have developed it, I am sure it will do well. THe two engines dont necessarily have to compete with each other, but could actually nicely compliment each other (Yaris in 65 - 80 hp range, and BM in 80 - 110hp range). I am a firm believer that one should not try and extract every ounce of power from an automotive-aero conversion. This has caused many a conversion to fail. Rather aim a little lower and have it reliable and last. In fact reliability is key

Yes the market is small in SA, but if you go the route of developing a conversion kit, I am sure it will be marketable - definitely in Aus which is Yotota country - they have plenty of Yarii (plural of Yaris? :twisted: )) running around there. I dont know about the US - but they have a MASSIVE homebuilt market. Allthough that may be a tad ambitious, I am sure that you will get sufficient support in SA to at least cover your costs and pay for your own engine or two.
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:19 pm

Have not touched the Yaris since Monday. A Bushbaby, an Explorer, a Safari and project X took up all my time. Seems like I will have to go local on the "Chips" vhpy
Giarc64
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Giarc64 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:56 am

Boet , I will gooi out the boat anchor from the cubby if you can get this right, come on boet!!!!!!

cheers
Craig
ZU-CYB (Cubby No 1)
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:27 am

Not to take anything away form Unichip and Piet de Weerdt but they are VERY expensive - specially if you want to be able to tune it yourself - you have to become a dealer and sing all kinds of stuff. You also have to buy special equipment to tune the chip. All in all too much money for a single once of installation.
But there is another option - www.perfectpower.com - also local - much cheaper and does the same job or even better. You can even get complete loose standing injection without having to run the bosch and then a piggyback. just my 2c (was in the car tuning industry for many years and have used PP products extensively).
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:05 pm

I get LOTS of advice....now to sift out the good from the bad... :roll: Priority no one is to hang this engine onto my aerie`s nose. The engine mount bits and pieces has been made up, must be tig welded together. Next step will be the belt-drive reduction, and then off to a performance workshop, with the fuselage engine and prop. I think I will put a little turbo on this engine.
Attachments
100_5580.JPG
100_5580.JPG (48.1 KiB) Viewed 5924 times
100_5581.JPG
100_5581.JPG (51.15 KiB) Viewed 5920 times
Massimo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Massimo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:31 am

Nah put a BEEEEG turbo on this puppy :)
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:53 am

Nawwww, smallish hairdryertjie ought to do the job! :lol: Size does matter. :roll: