TOYOTA YARIS ENGINE

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: TOYOTA YARIS ENGINE

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:28 pm

Ipersonally don't like belt drives. You must be able to find a gearbox. Have you looked at http://www.autoflight.co.nz/reduction/index.php
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
Wallaby
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Wallaby » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:07 pm

Hey, you okes mustn't make the belt drive so bad. The pikaninie-fly-a-ma-thingie that I use to fullfill my uttermost desires, only relies solemnly on one belt driven air screw. Now you makes me think that I will be screw(ed) in future time.

Personally I think the belt drive will have it disadvantages, but most of the times, you see the problem before the pawpaw hits the fan. But in a gearbox you cannot see what's going on inside, not to say the a gearbox will fail often, because I think the chances of the gearbox failing is quite slim. And the belt drive will be much less expensive than a gearbox.

Boet, what will the horsepower be with this engine? If it's 55kw, then it's 74,8hp, but how effective in comparison to the say, 80hp Jab engine, will it be? And does the torque curve determines what reduction you're going to need for the prop or how are you going to determine what the reduction drive must be? Is this motor fuel injected or does it have carbs?

Give us more info, aaghh please man!
Life- I did it my way.....
The world is not enough!
- Manie Rossouw
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:52 am

So many questions, so few answers. EK WEET NOG NIE!! :oops: But I am sure as hell going to find out. Hopefully NOT the hard, expensive way! vhpy
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:21 pm

After everyone left this afternoon, I pot "legs" on the Yaris engine, so it can stand upright, so we can get to know each other on a better eye-level. There is much work here, and a LOT to figure out, like the radiator inlet. (Or is it outlet??) That is moerse in the way of where, in my mind`s eye, I can see the top pulley of the belt reduction unit sitting. The wiring loom is as thick.......as uhmmm. There is moerse baie drade, PLENTY widgets and gadgets all connected to a flat computor box. It will be a steep learning curve.
I am trying to wheedle some know-how out of our friends in France, but my Froffie-friend does`nt seem very eager to part with his knowledge. He might as well, `cause I sure as hell `ain going to pay 8k Euros for his engine. I do NOT have it. :evil:
Attachments
100_5394.JPG
100_5394.JPG (56.31 KiB) Viewed 4175 times
100_5395.JPG
100_5395.JPG (69.01 KiB) Viewed 4170 times
Wallaby
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Wallaby » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:47 pm

Somewhere there must be someone who knows someone else who knows something about the electronics on this one. It's all so interresting with all this new developements in making our passion much more reachable, moneywise that is.
Boet, you've been looking a long time at The Animal and now you seems to understands what it's saying. Perhaps you must draw the chair next to the engine and start looking at it...perhaps it'll start talking to you and tells you the key to her G-spot :) :) .
Life- I did it my way.....
The world is not enough!
- Manie Rossouw
smallfly
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby smallfly » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:13 pm

Boet wrote:After everyone left this afternoon, I pot "legs" on the Yaris engine, so it can stand upright, so we can get to know each other on a better eye-level. There is much work here, and a LOT to figure out, like the radiator inlet. (Or is it outlet??) That is moerse in the way of where, in my mind`s eye, I can see the top pulley of the belt reduction unit sitting. :
Have you concidered putting the prop on the other end ?
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:07 am

Not a bad idea. Will look at it. Thanks. vhpy
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:47 am

I was thinking exactly the same thing..
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:12 am

Wallaby wrote:Somewhere there must be someone who knows someone else who knows something about the electronics on this one.
What about the Unichip piggyback system? Use what de Germans give us, just make it work better. :wink:
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Nothing for nothing. Putting the belt drive at the "front" of this engine is impossible. It has this big ally tittie in the way, and it can not be cut off. (marked yellow). It is part of the mounting system, so Flywheel side it will have to be. However, there are some water pipes on the cyl head that will be bothersome. Is there anyone out there that can tell me what the purpose of the pipe marked in red is supposed to be? The 2 heater pipes just get blocked. My time to work on this project is limited to about 2 hours in the evenings, so it will still take a while.
Attachments
100_5410.JPG
100_5410.JPG (39.56 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
in da way.JPG
in da way.JPG (35.89 KiB) Viewed 4107 times
pesky pipes.JPG
pesky pipes.JPG (37.72 KiB) Viewed 4103 times
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:40 pm

Boet, What does the motor weigh?
Vernon.
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:36 pm

As it came out of the car: 72kg, but that was with no alternator.
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:49 pm

I like the engine it is modern it is available and it needs just radiant thinking ,lateral thinking is not enough. Boet you can put on a belt drive and I will take a 1500 and put a gearbox on it with centrifugal clutch. The possibilities are endless . It is just wonderful to break away from the old stuff. When the Bosvark is finished maybe we can work on an engine for Bosvark III. Boet just remember all new things start of with a thought. The yaris computor box is much simpler then the 1200GS it has no side stand to take into consideration and a whole complicated safety programming . It would be nice if the transponder key can be programmed out of the equation . I would not fiddle to much with the engine at all Toyota has spent so much time to develop this engine and it is so good that Citroen and Peugeot are using it. The valve timing the induction system etc etc I would rather accept the weight penalty. Your getting very willing ponies in exchange for little bucks . So run the engine slightly harder pick up the weight and put in the fuel. You will find that you will be using about 235g of fuel per/ kw/hr . One advantage is with a gearbox you have no side load on the main bearing. One will have to look at design of the bearing. In the car it is also bolted to a gearbox. Boet good luck we need this.

Cheers Oupa-G
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:58 pm

Boet wrote:As it came out of the car: 72kg, but that was with no alternator.
Thanks, Just curious.
Vernon.
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:26 pm

I did take a long hard serious look at some form of gearbox for this engine. 2 Things put me off it. A: Cost.B: The THRUST LINE is too low with the gearbox option. So belt-drive it will have to be. Besides, it will suit my pocket better. It is important to hang this engine on the front of my aerie now, so I am looking at using the same engine mount system in use for the Rotax 912, this will make the engine much easier to fit. CG checks out OK. vhpy