TOYOTA YARIS ENGINE

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

diesel dog
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Re: TOYOTA YARIS ENGINE

Postby diesel dog » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:22 pm

The YARIS engine was started today but not without some teething problems . The engine was assembled and the redrive fitted a metal sump replaced the aluminium one . The engine I am using comes from a Daihatsu and has power steering pump and aircon compressor , it also had external exhaust gas recirculation which were all removed. The bolt pattern also differs from the Toyota ,Renault and Peugeot engines fortunately the guys from Ecoyota left the mounting holes and external profile of the redrive plate blank and with some old school engineering I indexed the bolt pattern using the crank shaft as a reference the holes were drilled and used to plot the external profile and milled in a cnc machine .The oil filter housing on this engine uses a cartridge filter element which is not freely available and bulky ,the housing was modified to accept a normal screw on filter . A union was welded on to the metal sump to accept a oil temperature probe the oil pump pick up is further away from the sump floor than on the aluminium sump ,as it is a plastic unit it not easy to extend ,I will machine a spacer with the necessary porting that will fit between the oil pump body and the plastic pick up .Fitting the adapter plate for the redrive required removing some coolant hose tails that press fitted into the cylinder head ,some minor cutting ,filing and drill and tap 3 m8 holes,plugs supplied in the kit were installed to blank coolant ports not required.The rest of the conversion required no special tools or machining
The fuel system consists of a non return valve on the suction side of the high pressure pump ,filter and pressure regulator 2.5 bar with return to tank.will fit a second pump.
The engine wiring harness is of high quality and fits perfectly ,the loom is split in two sections ,cockpit and engine bay, and joins through the firewall with a bulkhead plug ,the ECU is contained in a FARADAY enclosure and is equipped with a static port for altitude compensation a serial port is supplied to connect to pc for diagnostic and data transfer.There is no mounting holes in the enclosure so silent block mounting will require a clamp bracket to be made.
After all was installed ,wired,bled and ready for start ,with much anticipation I pressed the start button .The engine cranked vigorously at 350 rpm ,oil press indicating but nothing not even a miss fire.
To cut a 12 hr ordeal short the Daihatsu engine had a different trigger wheel installed and I had to strip the engine down to remove this offending part and make a new 36 -2 trigger wheel.After assembly the engine started immediately and settled into a smooth idle.
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:43 pm

Diesel Dog

Congratulations I know the feeling quickly fit the gearbox and start the engine. We are 6 years down the line with the BM and we are smelling success. Keep at it and you should have a sweet power-plant. Be tough do not listen to the critics to much . If I had listened to all the dooms prophets nothing would have materialized.

Good luck
looking forward to the final product. I'll come and visit you with the Bosvark.

Cheers Oupa-G
smallfly
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby smallfly » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:03 am

Ditto !!!!

Congrats and ignore the doomsayers !!!

This is the kind of courage and perserverence that makes experimental what it should be...........EXPERIMENTING !
JACO
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby JACO » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:24 pm

The Yaris Range of engines have two different crank sensor gears.
The South African versions have 36 - 2, So Called "Normal Crank Position Gear"
Where some of the imported engines have an "Odd" Gear. See Sketches below.

ENJOY. (!!)
diesel dog
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby diesel dog » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:26 pm

Thanks for the support guys and for the info Jaco (knowledge is power )I consider my misfortune with the crank sensor gear as education.This morning as news spread that the engine had started I was visited by a couple of interested parties and had to demonstrate that the engine in fact had started , all went well until the third person arrived . the engine started normally but soon started to splutter so I discreetly shut her done and to avoid any further embarrassment terminated any further demonstrations.
On my way to the office to contact my French colleague it struck me that the temporary fuel line we used to connect the fuel to 25l tank was a coolant hose.when I extracted the pump from the tank it was obvious that the rubber hose had become like the proverbial French letter and had ejected it self from the suction side of the fuel pump and fuel starvation was the cause of the splutter .After rectifying the problem the yaris was back to normal,(sweet)
diesel dog
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby diesel dog » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Difficult to login at the moment will again later
gerald photos 349.jpg
gerald photos 349.jpg (67.57 KiB) Viewed 6894 times
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:01 pm

Kan iemand asseblief vir Diesel Dog gaan help met sy komputor. Hy sukkel sy gat af om fotos op te laai, en om net terugvoering te gee. (**)
diesel dog
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby diesel dog » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:52 pm

My gat is OK maar my moer is niks lekker nie
diesel dog
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby diesel dog » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:25 pm

LETS try again
yaris 002.jpg
rear view of panel
yaris 005.jpg
radiator fitted
yaris 003.jpg
left view
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:28 pm

Very exciting Good Luck

Cheers Oupa-G
diesel dog
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby diesel dog » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:35 pm

some more pics
yaris 006.jpg
exhaust
Attachments
yaris 009.jpg
fuel pumps and filter in mounting bracket
yaris 010.jpg
diesel dog
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby diesel dog » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:08 pm

and some more
yaris 011.jpg
throttle linkage
yaris 013.jpg
fuel pumps
yaris 014.jpg
yaris 014.jpg (35.73 KiB) Viewed 6731 times
Attachments
yaris 016.jpg
still have to remove cap from radiator
smallfly
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby smallfly » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:09 am

I don't see check valves on those pumps, will it not return through the non working pump when you do run into a pump failure ?
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:38 am

Very nice!
Flying feeds the soul!
diesel dog
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby diesel dog » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:39 am

Good observation Smallfly . I have not run the engine under full load yet still waiting for the prop but at max rpm no load the fuel pressure remains constant with standby pump down.this is something that will go on my test list