TOYOTA YARIS ENGINE

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

smallfly
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Re: TOYOTA YARIS ENGINE

Postby smallfly » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:20 am

Just as a matter of interrest, has anyone ever tried to program a PLC for engine management ?

PLC's are common in millitary aircraft to perform other functions, hence reliabillity should not be a concern,

and you can program it to do whatever you wish.
diesel dog
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby diesel dog » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:48 pm

After following this thread for sometime I realized that this project needed to be fast tracked. As a newcomer to experimental aviation and at the risk of financial ruin I decided to continue the quest for a affordable alternative engine. . The YARIS engine is a good contender the only problem is a suitable ECU.After a lot of research it became clear to me that this problem was not going to be easy to solve. I made contact with a company in France that had developed a YARIS engine for experimental aviation use, their engine kits have been very successful in Europe and other countries were flying enthusiasts’ seem to be suffering [ BRAND FOR AVIATION BLUES] . After negotiating a deal an 80 hp kit was ordered and paid for the kit will be delivered by a representative of the French company in March when
he visits me for technical training on their products. To take care of a suitable airframe I bought an Explorer kit and to speed things up our BIG friend BOET was so kind to exchange kit [ for a not so small cash adjustment ] and delivered to my place of business a firewall back in tricycle landing gear configuration built to a standard that the Loeriesfontein team are renowned for. For the primary flight and engine instruments a MGL voyager has been fitted, admittedly departing from the classic panel for this type of aircraft, but for testing performance of the aircraft and engine this instrument will help to monitor and log parameters that can be downloaded and documented. I will try to keep you informed of the progress with this project failure is not an option and I hope the outcome will be to the good of all aviation enthusiasts. I have noticed that this forum is frequented by mainly well informed people and your comments’ , help , criticism and encouragement will be appreciated. Interested parties can contact me at 0832876816.
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:33 am

Suddenly I find myself sitting upright and listening, welcome to the Explorer club. We will follow this development with keen interest. (^^) (^^) I have also been toying with the idea of fitting an alternative engine to my own Safari, I am more leaning to the diesel route but any engine above 120hp will do the trick.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
AndyCAP
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby AndyCAP » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:40 am

Welcome Diesel dog!

thanks for sharing the initial progress on jour project (^^) . It sounds like you are in the process of finalising a deal with the French Co. Hopefully this will result in an affoarable alternative in the SA market, without a significant portion of the engine cost being ties up in Euros (which would be a killer for SA mortals paying in Rands :( ) . You have obviously had to fork out a significant amount to launch this venture and I hope for your sake and for the lighter side of aviation that you are successful.

No question the Brand for Aviation Blues (BFAB) has a great product, but they are slowly stifling aviation growth in SA through rediculous pricing :( . We need a locally available affordable alternative.

Please keep us posted with your developments. Reliability and affordability ...thats primarily what we all we are after in a powerplant (not even optimum performance).
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:10 pm

Like I said, we are living in exiting times. "Die Boere maak mos altyd n plan". Maar vlieg gaan ons vlieg!! My Yaris enjintjie is ook nie meer in die mark nie...... If you want to know more about this exiting product, go look in: ecoyota.neuf.fr Take note of the international dealers. Double congratiolations to Diesel Dog, for obtaining dealer status on this project, and for having gone solo last week. The man is driven. Now that his kit is assembled, he does not have long excuses for not flying his Yaris powered Bushbaby Explorer very soon!!! Like they say: WATCH THIS SPACE !!!
Grootseun :wink:
smallfly
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby smallfly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:13 pm

KFA wrote:Suddenly I find myself sitting upright and listening, welcome to the Explorer club. We will follow this development with keen interest. (^^) (^^) I have also been toying with the idea of fitting an alternative engine to my own Safari, I am more leaning to the diesel route but any engine above 120hp will do the trick.
I like the diesel idea !! IMHO the polo 1.4 diesel is a good candidate,

three cylinders, and only 28cm in length, dont know the weighyt though !

190nm at 1900RPM means you can go direct drive, saving the weight of the redrive and improved economy as a bonus !

Moet net werk .
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:44 pm

smallfly wrote:
KFA wrote:Suddenly I find myself sitting upright and listening, welcome to the Explorer club. We will follow this development with keen interest. (^^) (^^) I have also been toying with the idea of fitting an alternative engine to my own Safari, I am more leaning to the diesel route but any engine above 120hp will do the trick.
I like the diesel idea !! IMHO the polo 1.4 diesel is a good candidate,

three cylinders, and only 28cm in length, dont know the weighyt though !

190nm at 1900RPM means you can go direct drive, saving the weight of the redrive and improved economy as a bonus !

Moet net werk .

EEP! From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Vo ... el_engines) it looks like the weight is 127kg/280lb. May be a tad heavy for aviation applications ;-) .
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:01 pm

Currently I find only two real contenders nl the ford duratec and the Peugot 308 1.6 engine

Peugot 308 - For the THP150 maximum torque is 177 ft·lbf (240 N·m) at 1400 rpm, remaining flat to 5000 rpm. Power output is 150 PS (148 hp/110 kW) at 5500 rpm.

Ford - Couple of good contenders with very high torque at low rpm. Lots of duratec and zetec contenders.

The ford has all allu block and heads. I cant find any weight info so I have narrowed down the contenders and will now start visiting scrapyards and engine dealers with a scale in hand. (**)

We are hijacking this tread so I will start posting my findings under my Safari build (^^)
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
diesel dog
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby diesel dog » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:28 pm

ENGINE RESIZE.jpg
120HP ECOYOTA YARIS WITH ROTREX SUPERCHARGER
ENGINE RESIZE.jpg (69.7 KiB) Viewed 4026 times
This engine was tested for 3hrs in a destructive dyno run at a power setting of 132hp . After which it was disassembled and inspected all internal components, found to be with in OEM specs and no signs of abnormal wear was found.All parameters eg, oil press, oil temp, coolant temp and egts kept normal by tuning with the ECU.I will like to duplicate this test with Boets yaris if he agrees :lol: :lol: :lol:
turbo-nuit_1 resize.jpg
yaris on treadmill
turbo-nuit_1 resize.jpg (83.81 KiB) Viewed 4026 times
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:45 pm

:shock: Eeeish, now you have ruined the friendship. :evil: Go ahead anyway, bugger it up, just give me new one in exchange!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bulldog
Signed up at flight school

Postby bulldog » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:10 am

Hi guys.I have been following this thread with great interest,hope and anticipation.I have just been on the website and hope the pricing of the KITS is wrong!!!!!please note that the price excludes the engine:80Hp-Eu7918-80 90Hp-Eu9364-32 120Hp-Eu13377-92.These prices are anything but cheap-i hope im wrong.The 120Hp looks perfect for my new gyro-but not at that price!!!!!???
ystervark7
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby ystervark7 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:32 am

Keep up the good work guys! We need some affordable alternatives.
diesel dog
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby diesel dog » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:22 pm

LET US CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING.
1. Toyota yaris low mileage engine.
2. 120hp ecoyota kit.
3. Extras eg radiator ,expansion tank, coolant hoses,brackets,clamps,fastners,fuel pipes.
Price +- R16 000.00+vat
“ANYTHING BUT CHEAP” :( :(
But what does the buyer get for his hard earned money.
1. Light weight starter.
2. Light weight alternator 30 AMP.
3. Engine mounting to fit 912 firewall mount.
4. Stainless exhaust header 3 into 1.
5. Rotrex supercharger with drive and lube system.
6. High pressure fuel pump with pressure regulator and filter.
7. Engine ECU .
8. Engine wiring harness.
9. Engine sensors.
10. Redrive with Kevlar 80 mm belt.
11. Fasteners and special parts.
12. Low mileage engine.(blow by and oil sample)
13. Extras as per (3) above.
When assembled this will give you an engine with .
1. 120 hp vhpy
2. 11lt /hr@75% vhpy vhpy
3. Automatic altitude compensation :)
4. No carb icing :)
5. Tbo 1500 hrs vhpy
6. +- 85kg ready to fly vhpy vhpy
TBO parts basket OEM parts +- R18000.00 +vat
Prices dependant on exchange rate

E&OE
diesel dog
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby diesel dog » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:55 pm

Typing error should be R160000.00 :(
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:58 pm

And for R30,000 less, you can get a Jabiru 3300 with just about all the specs you list there...