Pietenpol Aircamper

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Pietenpol Aircamper

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:03 pm

Actually the bore is the same but the stroke is different. So you'll have to change the crank and most likely the pistons too as their height above the gudgeon pin will be different ( or the pistons might be the same - then the conrods will be shorter)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_C_engine
But they are relatively easily available from the japanese engine import places so realy no need to 'modify' a 2C to be a 3C - just buy it. Last time I priced them they were around R7800. Had one in my syncro combi.
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
koenie
Looking at the sky

Postby koenie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:48 pm

Hi Guys

Lots of questions. Lets try.

Weight wise the 2c weighs approx. 120 kg. depends on what you remove.

We had to make our own engine mountings. It was a bit of trial and error but as can be seen on the pictures it fits nicely.

As far as SACAA is concerned, they did not query anything as far as the motor is concerned as this has very little to do with them. This plane is registered as EXPERIMENTAL and we and the SACAA should see it as such. They cannot tell anybody that they are not allowed to use an alternative engine or prescribe to you what engine you should use. ( they might try )

We used the original starter supplied with the engine. The alternators that comes witn the engine doesnt have a voltage regulator so we had to use an altenative. Anything that fits can be used as it doesnt need the vacume pump on the back like it does in cars. Devise your own bracket according to the specific alternator. Make sure it has a W socket on the back as it enables yo to run a VDO or similar rev-counter, that can be calibrated, from the alternator.

As far as I know the 3C is the same weight as the 2C as the only difference is the Bore size. Everythig else is the same.
I do not believe in taking a perfectly good running engine that has been factory zeroed and modifying it to get more power or torque as it opens the whole project up to more problems. If it runs smootly .... leave it as is. Only fix what is broken.

My prop was handmade by myself. With a pitch of 48 inches and diameter of 72 inches i get 3000 rpm static and 3300 rpm when she releases. I think with openig the governor on the pump I might get a few more rpm out of her but do not thik it is necessary as she climbs well and flies at an acceptable cruise with thw current ( factory ) setting. This way the engine should last.

Hope it asnwers a few questions

Cheers
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:26 pm

koenie wrote:... My prop was handmade by myself. With a pitch of 48 inches and diameter of 72 inches i get 3000 rpm static and 3300 rpm when she releases. I think with openig the governor on the pump I might get a few more rpm out of her but do not thik it is necessary as she climbs well and flies at an acceptable cruise with thw current ( factory ) setting. This way the engine should last.
I assume that is engine RPM, not prop. What is the reduction ratio?

Pity about the weight though - 20kg too heavy for my plane :( .
koenie
Looking at the sky

Postby koenie » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Hi Justin

Reduction ratio 1.68 to 1. Rpm on prop is about 1800 rpm at 3200 rpm on engine.
smallfly
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby smallfly » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:18 pm

Koenie, with the figures you quoted, this does not look like underpowerred to me.

Looks perfect !!
Oldtimer
First solo

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:15 pm

As promised here follows an update on the progress.

The main undercarriage, tail wheel and the fixed portion of the empennage was mounted.

I will need to replace the coil spring in the tail wheel assembly as the current spring is compressed very near it's limits with only the aircraft own weight on it.

The wheels were fitted with second hand tyres just to have something for it to stand on temporarily (Thanks Gerrie!!)

I will fit the wheels this weekend and hopefully the empennage control surfaces.

All main wing ribs received the final coat of varnish and is ready for fitting to the main spars during the next two weeks.

All of the metal fittings and parts will also receive a coat of paint during the next two to three weeks.

A lot of people are showing interest in my project and I really appreciate each and every person who walks into my hangar and discuss the progress.

Following is a couple of photo's to show the progress and general status of the build.
Attachments
This is where I stopped on 17 October 2009
067.jpg (87.82 KiB) Not viewed yet
Beginning to take shape!!
064.jpg (94.52 KiB) Not viewed yet
Tailwheel assembly
059.jpg (79.11 KiB) Not viewed yet
Front view
049.jpg (70.07 KiB) Not viewed yet
Main undercarriage on
048.jpg (79.27 KiB) Not viewed yet
Attachments
048.jpg
Main undercarriage on
049.jpg
Front view
059.jpg
Tailwheel assembly
064.jpg
Beginning to take shape!!
Johan De Graaf
Scotsman
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Scotsman » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:15 pm

Nice looking work there Oldtimer. I could agree more with your comments regarding be motivated by the number of people swinging by to take a look at the build...the same goes even on this site.
James Roberts
Building Zodiac 650 - 50% complete
http://www.mykitlog.com/scotsman/
WollieW
Ready for the first flight

Postby WollieW » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:40 pm

Mooi man en geniet dit!
Wollie
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:07 pm

koenie wrote:Hi Guys

Lots of questions. Lets try.

My prop was handmade by myself. With a pitch of 48 inches and diameter of 72 inches i get 3000 rpm static and 3300 rpm when she releases. I think with openig the governor on the pump I might get a few more rpm out of her but do not thik it is necessary as she climbs well and flies at an acceptable cruise with thw current ( factory ) setting. This way the engine should last.

Hope it asnwers a few questions

Cheers
Hi Koenie

Can you maybe teach me or show me how to make the prop.
I have allways wanted to try but would not know where to start.

Regards
Gavin
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
koenie
Looking at the sky

Postby koenie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi Gavin

Good to now somebody else isnt scared to try. We used a book on propmaking to work out the dimentions and profiles of the prop. If you can let me have your address I can post you a copy.

Regards
Koenie
JACO
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby JACO » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:07 pm

Hi Daar,
Baie Mooi Projek. Waar kry jy die Reduction Drive of het jy planne daarvoor ? Ek is besig met beplanning op die Yaris enjin. :mrgreen:
Dankie en hou Moed !
Oldtimer
First solo

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:26 pm

Jaco,

Corvair 2,7lt flat six engine = direct drive giving 105Hp @ 3300rpm - 90Hp @ 2800 rpm.

Waarin gaan jy die Yaris engine gebruik?
Johan De Graaf
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:06 pm

Would you mind sharing your final costs on importing the Corvair, and getting it flying? I would be really interested to see how cost effective it works out!

Thanks,
Justin
JACO
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby JACO » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:00 pm

Hi,
Die Yaris word beplan vir 'n Cobra Trike. 4 Silinder 1300. Jammer oor die vraag van die reduksie dryf, maar ek verwys na die Foto van die Toyota Diesel Engine! van die vriend van jou.
Mooi gaan. 8)
Oldtimer
First solo

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:10 pm

Jaco,

No problem.

Justin,

The engine cost USD500 to buy and the full gasket set was USD200. I will still see how much the shipping and delivery to Pretoria will work out.

I will also only be able to calculate the overhaul cost once it is on my workbench. Parts are available locally as it uses VW pistons, rings and bearings.

Additional to the normal mechanical overhaul will be the replacement of the original sump with a deeper one, replacing the oil filter mounting with a modified version (with the option to fit an oil cooler or not) and replacing the existing heavy flat steel plate on the top of the cranc case with a lighter Aluminium one.

You also have the option of fitting a strengthened crankshaft (available from the USA) and a "Fifth Bearing" which mounts externally on the front of the crank case to assist with carrying the propeller loads imposed on the crankshaft. However, this is normally only required when the engine is going to be used for aerobatics.

The flywheel also gets stripped of most of the extra "meat" to reduce weight.

Have a look at the following website www.flycorvair.com in order to get much more info than what I am able to place here.
Johan De Graaf