Zodiac 601 XL Project

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Scotsman
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Re: Zodiac 601 XL Project

Postby Scotsman » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:04 pm

In the past few days I have attached the front end of the aileron torque tube to the main spar and drill through the spar (scary) to place the uprights for the dual control sticks. I had to remove the spar from the fuselage to do this accurately as the picture shows it sitting on the workbench.

Thankfully things seemed to go well and the control sticks seem well installed. A couple of tweaks required to ensure relatively frictionless movement but I will work on these later. Also decided to go for a matt black finish to all the steel components...so i primed and sprayed the control sticks and one of the gear attachments. It came out quite well in the end with some spray from the local hardware shop....hopefully it doesn't all scrape off though. :x
Attachments
Torque Tube.jpg
Torque tube
Spar_Controls2.jpg
Controls
James Roberts
Building Zodiac 650 - 50% complete
http://www.mykitlog.com/scotsman/
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:45 am

James

Looking good Squire !!!!
## ## :twisted: Yes the paint will scrape off in bits and pieces just enough to Piss you off :twisted:
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Scotsman
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Scotsman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:52 am

Another quick update...attached the NACA vents cockpit ventilation. Will have to start considering shelling out for some of those eyeball vents for the cockpit...I looked at the prices on Aircraft Spruce and they are not exactly cheap.
Attachments
NACA vent.jpg
NACA Vent
James Roberts
Scotsman
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Scotsman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:56 am

Thanks Gavin. Another word to the wise...don't spray paint with an on coming thunderstorm no matter how keen you are to finish the job!

Gavin - Please mail me the exact size of the aluminium piece you need and whether it needs bent or not. Don't worry about money...count this as your EAA Christmas present.
James Roberts
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:02 am

Hi James

I need a piece 1M X 700mm.
And i am sure we can arrange for a beer or two to be given in as Remuniration vhpy
I can also arrange for a xxx from one of the cleaner here ? ?
If you are serious then i will contribute to the Forum Again.
Scotsman
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Scotsman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:00 pm

Will place the order tomorrow hopefully...just have to send through some diagrams with other bits that I need done. Donate to the forum if you wish...your discretion though. j
James Roberts
Scotsman
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Scotsman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:03 am

I have been building and priming small sections of the aircraft (not as much as I should have been doing). The FAA has finally stepped up to the mark and grounded the 601 XL fleet in the US after another structural failure occurred on an XL. Frankly, after the previous accidents I have had my concerns. The LAA in the UK produced a set of modifications but Zenith have stepped up to the plate and produced a really comprehensive set of modifications which undoubtably strengthens the structure considerably (and arguably well in excess of the original specs).

There are a couple of changes outstanding (which I believe are in the post - so to speak) and Zenith is in the process of manufacturing and testing of the modifications. I am lucky that I have not closed up any of the areas that appear to require modification so other than the additional hours it should be a relatively easy job. I believe that there are couple of flying XLs in SA and I would expect that their owners will be less than amused at the thought of ripping their wings and fuselage apart to make the changes (not just the time but also the damage to the existing paint).

In the meantime I have replaced the rear spar carry through with an upgraded weight of material and place a couple of further braces where the longerons intercept the various uprights. This morning I got to work to securing the lower left engine mount to a modified attachment to the firewall...it seems to have worked well. I have also been tackling lots of irritating little jobs that I had procrastinated over which have to be completed prior to the forward fuselage being rivited up.

That's all for now...other than starting to requalify for my PPL this weekend past.

PS. The service at Alclad was really top notch...would recommend it to anyone.
James Roberts
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:46 am

Hey James

Been looking at some specks and your Idea of a console would work perfectly.
Did some virtual designs in my head and i think it will definately work.
When you got time again let me know. ($$) ($$) (^^) Will throw some ideas at you. ## ##
Scotsman
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Scotsman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:53 pm

I need to get some designs down on paper to get them through to Alclad for cutting and bending - any ideas would be appreciated Tailspin.

I spent a hour in the morning reinstalling the rear spar carry through that I "upgraded" to 0.63 of an inch to beef up the area...a bit of contorsion to achieve this without a helper but successful anyway.
James Roberts
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:23 pm

Will see how the day go's maybe come and make a mental note of that page of the plans and then will make some rough drawings to help.

## You see now you got me thingking about other stuff instead of what i should be concentrating on ## ($$) :!: :twisted:
Scotsman
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Scotsman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:09 am

Zenith has now published the modifications (final draft) for the enhancements of the structure of the XL and are now taking orders for the modification kits. I just placed my order...another R2600 excluding importation costs but at least I should have a safe flyable aircraft as opposed to a large aluminium paperweight!

Started refitting the baggage shelf recently with lots of awkward drilling to be done inside the fuselage through the lower fuselage access panel....unfortunately I have several hours of rebalancing and aligning the aircraft before this can take place.....bring on the lasers, plumb bobs and spirit levels.
James Roberts
Scotsman
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Scotsman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:53 am

:oops: Long time no pictures.

Made a reasonable bit of progress recently. Finished the access hatch under the fuselage and riveted that to the fuselage (see pic) only to have to drill it out as the beams supporting the fuselage prevent the door from opening and thus finishing the inside of the fuselage.

In the last weekend or so I added the horizontal braces for the baggage floor which run from an upright on either side forming a rectangular box shape (pic - inside fuselage). The lower corners of the rectangular shape are the location of the wings rear spar attach points (see other pic). In the last two pictures the rear spar carry through is the one that I replaced and upgraded to a thicker material to add further strength. The Zenith modifications mean that the rear spar attach point will also be upgraded to 0.125 and therefore I will use the existing ones as a drill guide to ensure that the holes are not elongated and placed accurately (instead of back drilling).

With the baggage floor mostly installed (cleco'd into place) the aircraft's structure has suddenly become quite rigid...which is reassuring.
Attachments
Access hatch door.jpg
Access Hatch Door
Baggage Floor Installed.jpg
Baggage floor installed
Inside Fuselage.jpg
Inside fuselage
Rear Wing Attach Point.jpg
Rear spar attach point
James Roberts
Scotsman
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Scotsman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:20 am

I haven't posted for awhile as there are only so many pictures of deburred holes that can post on a forum. I have spent most of January and the Christmas period deburring, scotch brighting(?) and priming mating surfaces in order that I can start to rivet elements of the assembly together.

Unfortunately the upgrade kit (one which amongst others strengthens the various spar attach points, the rear and main spar themselves and adds a couple of mass balance arms to prevent flutter at this aircraft's operating speed. The kit still has not arrived from the US which is quite frustrating so I am trying to go as far forward as I can without having to drill out rivets at a later stage.

I am waiting for a number of other replacement parts from the States which will allow me to close up the baggage shelf area permanently...hopefully these should arriv in the next week or so. Till next time...... ##
Attachments
DSCF2919.jpg
Riveting the final lower seat assembly with holes for the torque tube
DSCF2919.jpg (28.78 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
DSCF2921.jpg
Riveted the flap actuator mount to the seat assembly
DSCF2921.jpg (21.54 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
DSCF2927.jpg
Closed up the rudder fairlead holes
DSCF2927.jpg (23.94 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
James Roberts
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Looking Good Buddy.
Keep at it - it will get finished.
Scotsman
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Scotsman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:37 pm

Thanks mate...where is the on-line update on your progress??? :twisted: :twisted:
James Roberts