Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Aircraft Projects Underway or Completed

Moderator: Tailspin

Johannvanniekerk
Signed up at flight school

Re: Building the new Bushbaby SAFARI

Postby Johannvanniekerk » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:21 am

As ek so na die projek kyk, lyk Oupa vir my soos 'n "box-type" soort ou.
Dit is daardie ou wat 'n hele trek se bokse kan toe plak sonder om erens 'n voutjie in die type te maak.
Mooi man.
Groete
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:12 pm

Beste Johan dankie vir daardie kompliment ek moet darem vir jou se dat op my ouderdom het ek al Alzheimer "light" ek maak maar my lysies en tick dan weer af sodat ek nie vergeet nie. Maar dit is lekker op so'n projek te voltooi. Ek moet nog net die fine tuning doen op die EboXi dit is anderste in die lug as op die grond die krag wat 'n static propeller absorbeer is anderste as die dinamika van vlieg. Sal my data pos sodra CAA my papierwerk verwerk. Dis ietsie wat my oneindig frustreer.

Cheers Oupa-G
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:32 pm

Today I received the autopilot servo's from MGL super quality and now I at least have something to do to keep my mind of the CAA paperwork. I am really pissed of that they do not want to give me a further proving flight extension. People in paper towers do not have a feeling for wanting to fly and advance aviation. Vliegvark made me a grip for the joystick. He knows how I like to fly the plane with finger control and the top of the grip is made so that the finger grip is optimal. If you grip the stick with your fist the control is out the fore-arm or shoulder which is fine for aero's but not for normal day to day flying. I must ask for an excuse for not posting the final progress, but this paperwork business has directed my energy elsewhere. I have been making EboXi harnesses. with nice teflon wire and double labeling to prevent making mistakes and it will also help the future builder. The last harness took 78 meters of wire at around R14/m just the materials not including connecters, a good harness is pricey, If you save on the quality you loose reliability in the long run, I'm including some photo's.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Autopilot1.jpg
Autopilot1.jpg (39.93 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
Joystick.jpg
Joystick.jpg (37.88 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
Joystick2.jpg
Joystick2.jpg (31.65 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
Goose
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Goose » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:05 pm

Oupa-G wrote:Today I received the autopilot servo's from MGL super quality and now I at least have something to do to keep my mind of the CAA paperwork. I am really pissed of that they do not want to give me a further proving flight extension. People in paper towers do not have a feeling for wanting to fly and advance aviation.
Cheers Oupa-G

Wurg hulle Oupa, Wurg hulle :!:
Ek sou nie so lank kon wag nie , ekt lankal daai sirkus tent gaan omgekeer s062 s071 .
Hulle wil he ons moet dinge onwettig doen :shock:

Groete
Goose
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:28 pm

Goose dit is so, maar die manne by Kitplanes doen hulle uiterste bes en ek wil nie hulle in die wiele ry nie. Maar dit is so dat CAA "criminalize" my en glo vir my as hulle my lewe wil moeilik maak gaan hulle 'n helse fight optel en dan sal ek hulle sue vir nalatigheid en nie terug kom op redelike vrae etc etc. Vir Kitplanes is dit hulle lewens aar en ek dink die Safari gaan vir hulle 'n lekker produk wees. Die aerie vlieg soos 'n droom, het 'n kajuit soos 'n droom en ek is seker dat hulle sal die vliegtuig nog verder afrond hulle koppe is oop vir die regte "refinements" Die manne wat belangstel moet maar solank hulle pennies eenkant sit. Het vanaand gou die PC12 getoets daar was 'n elektriese probleem 'n relay wat nie kontak gehad het nie, ek kyk toe weer na die wiring diagram van die PC12 en ek sien baie filosofiese ooreenkomste tussen di PC12 en die Bosvark in terme van sisteem "redundancy"

Cheers Oupa-G
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:20 am

Just an update on the paper work. The design data is complete and we have employed an very reputable Aeronautical Engineering firm to round off the last couple of papers. I am cautiuosly optimistic that by end of next week the powers that be will have all the right papers and we can atleast get the buildno's sorted and some planes registered. The end is near.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:43 am

KFA thanks for all your effort I will remember it with fondest memories. In ZU-OTT we have an aeroplane that has a lot of advanced features to be proven but at least we are moving forward. It is a great art to make use of modern thoughts and equipment and then on the other side to keep it simple and fore-most reliable. This can only happen under NTCA the CAA should cherish the undertakings of the entrepreneurs MGL is an example of what South Africa can produce stimulating the right people. There are brilliant oke's out there. The future is so exciting so we will have to bolster ourselves against the paperwork. There are all sort of questions that spring to mind , if one has been criminalized by the system is the criminal then allowed to fill in a logbook and if that criminal is now flying the PC12 with a valid ATP passing the 1 class medical at 68 is he then still a criminal , these are just funny questions that run through my head . I will deal with the problems when they arise. But I'm ready.

The RedX has a new NG new generation glass cockpit PC12 and I will have to get my brain around this new technology criminals have interesting problems.
I have my energy back and will keep the site rolling

Cheers Oupa-G
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jean Crous » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi Oupa-G , ek lees nou al n geruime tyd jou thread en moet se Oupa-G, jy is een geduldige en wetsgehoorsame "criminal" (!!) (!!)
Groete en sterkte
JeanTree
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:06 pm

JeanTree hows Barrydale today I concentrated on little convenience things first made a little bracket to hang my headset used a nylon block clamp so not to weaken the stucture and I must say it works well. I checked the new Pc12 has no where to hang their Bose headsets and so they are always in the way till they are on your head. Fitted the joystick grip that also works well it appears a bit big but for my dainty hands it is just right I can always reduce it if I find the dimensions wrong. Then I started on the autopilot servo brackets I'm cutting them by hand I sure have been spoiled by the Waterjet cutting, but I have to make sure the angles are such that it ensures free torsion-less travel, so I may want to alter it. Enclosed some pictures. I also ran the Eboxi from the banana boys's Explorer could not do the high power runs the wind was just to strong I was alone and the Bosvark would have gotten out of hand. All the EboXis that go out first get their run on the bench and then in the Bosvark and then I know that everything is OK. So far I have not sent any box back to Ystervark. But it is very easy to may a mistake in the wiring.

Enclosed some pics

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Joystick3.jpg
Little grip for little fingers
Joystick3.jpg (33.8 KiB) Viewed 3567 times
headset.jpg
this sorted the shambles in the cabin
headset.jpg (56.46 KiB) Viewed 3567 times
Autopilot4.jpg
we start with bare metal
Autopilot4.jpg (43.59 KiB) Viewed 3567 times
Mogas
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Mogas » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:58 am

I like the headset hangar bracket and will copy it if you don't mind Oupa.
Now do you have that picture of the gear yet?
Nottaquitta
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:23 pm

Mogas
You are welcome to copy the brackets when you weld the frame it is so easy then.
On page 79 the last two foto's is just to give you an idea of the gear these are censored pictures. As soon as I have a flying autherisation I will send you airborne pictures. The gear taxies very well. Have been busy with the brackets all morning also tasted the banana boy EboXi which is superb in the Bosvark. The final wiring inspection will now take place on the Explorer.

Cheers Oupa-G
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jean Crous » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi Oupa-G Barrydale is a good place... rustig, but our runway needs some nice aeries to grace it,.......for instance that lovely machine of yours. That being said, once those "rocket scientists" at CAA give your ATF!! I must say this: the way you do things on your aerie Oupa, is an inspiration to others . (^^) (^^)
Good luck with the ATF :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Jean.
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks JeanTree

Today worked hard driving to hanger and back measuring shaping running the Banana boys EboXi, and tonight I have the final mounting plates with the servo's mounted. I turned six spacers on the lathe and tapped the holes . Tomorrow I will fit the spacers onto the lugs that I had already welded in on the airframe . Then I will position the plates mark and number the lugs and then the welding ,then it should be a custom fit. The autopilot was planned from day one and I was waiting for the MGL autopilot I'm enclosing a fotie from the airframe welding, the attach points can be seen. That is all for tonight.

Cheers Oupa-G
Attachments
Gear autopilot fittings.jpg
documentation during welding note the lugs
Autopilot5.jpg
Adapter plates
Autopilot5.jpg (35.36 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:10 am

Oupa, your wheelspats are coming on very nicely. We are busy making the streamline covers for the insides. vhpy It should be ok for at least an extra couple of mph! vhpy
Oupa-G
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Oupa-G » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:36 pm

Boet thanks can't wait .The Eboxi went back to the Explorer we are checking the wiring loom with a big looking glass Tommy is at it and we will start it still this week. I'm fitting the servo's for the autopilot want to do some welding but Vliegvark has his birthday today so I think welding is out tonight. Will show the pictures later tonight

Cheers Oupa-G