RAASA & PART 62 UPDATE

Discussion of all official legislative, legal, licencing and operating matters

Moderator: John Boucher

Sam
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

RAASA & PART 62 UPDATE

Postby Sam » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:58 pm

Just to keep you all up to date with what is happening regarding RAASA and Part 62. The latest version of Part 62 amendments is the "First Amendment to Part 62v2" together with Schedule 17 below which is the one that will hopefully be promulgated shortly. These must be read in conjunction with the version available at http://www.caa.co.za/resource%20center/ ... onVol2.pdf . The CATS for Part 62 are presently being worked on and will hopefully be available on date of implementation.

The implementation of RAASA (Recreation Aviation Administration SA) is happening on 1 November 2008. Part 62 was promulgated on 1 January 2008. Subsequent amendments were phased in. Some were promulgated as part of the 33rd Amendment to the CARs. Some amendments are in the process of promulgation and should be part of the 34th Amendment which is expected to be promulgated by the end of this month. RAASA will be up and running from 1 November and will be taking over from CAA for the issuing of both your Authority to Fly and all crew licences. Aircraft licencing and change of ownership will remain with CAA. RAASA will start with dry runs 6 weeks before to try and get out all the glitches.

RAASA will be hosting a road show in major centres around the country to inform the aviators who will be affected by Part 62 as well as the new examination procedures and what RAASA’s functions will be. The meetings will be open to all interested parties but it is in the best interest of all instructors and school operators to try and make it to one of the workshops if they are at all interested in knowing how Part 62 will change their operations and how RAASA will be administering licence applications and Authorities to Fly. It is vital for all CFIs to attend one of these meetings as well as many of their instructors.

Dates set up so far are:

Durban 28 August 2008 10h00 Emoyeni. Contact Geoff on 0823311104 or email geoff@lightflight.co.za

Cape Town 18 September 2008 10h00 Contact Louis van Wyk for venue on 083 675 3541 or email louisvw@iafrica.com

Johannesburg 25 September 2008 14h00 Aero Club boardroom. email nsteyn@aeroclub.org.za

After the first one in Durban, others will be set up for other major centres where required.

The agenda for the meeting will be:

1. Part 62 and examinations

2. Authority to Fly

3. Administration

4. Designated Examiners

Those wishing to attend the different seminars will need to register with the relevant contact person.

SCHEDULE 17

17. PROPOSAL TO AMEND SUB-PART 01 OF PART 24 OF THE SA-CATS-NTCA

17.1 Proposal to amend the index of Part 24 by the addition of the following

P. Light Sport Aeroplanes

1. Design standards

2. Classification parameters

MOTIVATION to allow for light sport aeroplanes

17.2 Proposal to amend sub-part 01.2.A of Part 24 of the CATS by the addition of the following

24.01.2.A.2 (k) ASTM standards on Light Sport Aircraft

MOTIVATION to include the FAA standards for light sport aeroplanes

17.2 Proposal to amend sub-part 01.2 of Part 24 of the CATS by the addition of the following

P. Light Sport Aeroplanes

24.01.2.P.1 Design standards

Non-type certified light sport aeroplanes shall meet the design criteria of either amateur-built aircraft or production built aircraft.

24.01.2.P.2 Classification parameters

(1) For an aeroplane to be classified as a light sport aeroplane, the following parameters need to be met:

(a) Maximum take-off mass of:

(i) 600 kilograms for land planes
(ii) 650 kg for amphibian and sea planes

(b) Maximum stall speed or minimum steady flight speed at maximum take-off mass of 45 Knots (no flaps – Vs1) at standard atmospheric conditions at sea level at most critical C of G

(c) Maximum air speed in level flight with maximum continuous power (Vh) of not more than 140 Knots CAS under standard atmospheric conditions at sea level

(d) Two place maximum

(e) Single reciprocating engine

(f) Unpressurized cabin

(2) For the purpose of establishing conformity with sub-paragraph (1) (a), the following payloads are to be included:

(a) 84 kg per seat,
(b) Oil and other liquids in the engine as required for flight,
(c) The lesser of full fuel load or 60 kg,
(d) luggage mass as allowed by the manufacturer,
(e) Safety rescue system if one is fitted,
(f) all standard and additional equipment and systems as fitted
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: RAASA & PART 62 UPDATE

Postby RudiGreyling » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:21 pm

Dankie SAM,

here are the MISASA links:
http://misasa.flyeaaforum.com/?p=557
and
http://misasa.flyeaaforum.com/?p=558

Rudi
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure - Aviation offers it all"
http://www.RudiGreyling.com
apollolight
First solo

Postby apollolight » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:59 pm

Great stuff, tks Sam and Rudi, it is starting to happen, look very forward to seeing more news and will certainly attend the Jhb meet...

Regards
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:40 am

Went to the roadshow held at Rand last night. The guys at the helm certainly is trying their best to look after our interest. It looked like a very very positive outlook and yes there will be issues in the beginning but at the ned of the day they are very much trying to be service oriented and to make it better for us - not worse. I walked away feeling very confident that the road forward is looking good. Well done to everybody involved - and good luck with the last work you have to do and best of luck at implementation time. I hope the guys will have the patience to help you get through it.
Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
apollolight
First solo

Postby apollolight » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:11 pm

Also went to the meet last night and I was very, very impressed, the guys at the helm have done a lot of really incredible work looking out for OUR interests and the formation of RAASA can only be a good thing for the industry.
I never appreciated how much effort, frustration and time is needed for seemingly simple changes to policy, it involves a huge amount of back and forth between commissioner, government and have a new found respect for these individuals, the RAASA management group I met last night are extremely experienced and experts in their roles... and active aviators so I think we are in very, very good hands.

Part 62 is very exciting and I think it is going to be a stunning success, much more will be revealed on the RAASA website in a few weeks.

Mention was made of the current Part 61 situation in which only 10 hours are allowed for a higher licence i.e., from MPL to PPL and RAASA is already into negotiations surrounding this and one or two other niggly issues.

A final word is before whinging and moaning about MISASA, RAASA, etc, get the facts, it is easy to log onto microlighters and vent without conducting research and checking facts, this fans panic, misinformation and is pretty much counter productive, rather call them yourself and get the straight story.
This whole scenario could very easily have turned a different way and then we certainly would have found ourselves fighting an uphill battle for our right to fly, with probable eye watering restrictions.

I wish RAASA the best and I'm eagerly awaiting to get with their program as an MPL/LSA instructor.

To all the eager potential MPL, LSA pilots or current fliers, I'm exited for you guys too...
apollolight
First solo

Postby apollolight » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:57 pm

http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 84#p517727

Some interesting comments about part 62 here...