MPL to RPL - What are the benfits?

Discussion of all official legislative, legal, licencing and operating matters

Moderator: John Boucher

Mat
Slow starter

MPL to RPL - What are the benfits?

Postby Mat » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:06 pm

Hi fellow guys and girls,

Would anyone like to shed some light on the new laws that have been implemented this year?

I would like to know the benefit of converting my licence to an RPL. I have a fixed wing MPL at the moment with about a 100 hours in my log. Does anyone out there know?

How much more weight can we carry? Can we carry more passengers etc etc.

Look forward to your responses. All the people I have asked have given me answers more varied than the ingredients of cheap boerewors.

Thanks Mat
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:17 pm

As far as I know the only difference will be planes will be allowed to weigh 600kg's vs 3 axis MPL which will be 450kg's. Thus none of the 912's (or very few) will be allowed in the MPL category and you will require PPL or RPL.

Pax remains 1.
I don't think you will be allowed to fly retract and there will be speed limitations as well as with MPL but they should be slightly higher.

Big benefit over PPL is medical an theory should be less taxing... :wink:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:25 am

RV4ker wrote:As far as I know the only difference will be planes will be allowed to weigh 600kg's vs 3 axis MPL which will be 450kg's. Thus none of the 912's (or very few) will be allowed in the MPL category and you will require PPL or RPL.

Pax remains 1.
I don't think you will be allowed to fly retract and there will be speed limitations as well as with MPL but they should be slightly higher.

I am not aware of any speed or retract limitations with a MPL ? Not in this country anyway.

If they limit speed and retracts for the RPL it will be a down grade, not an upgrade :D

Fly safe,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:40 am

Rudix wrote:
RV4ker wrote:As far as I know the only difference will be planes will be allowed to weigh 600kg's vs 3 axis MPL which will be 450kg's. Thus none of the 912's (or very few) will be allowed in the MPL category and you will require PPL or RPL.

Pax remains 1.

I am not aware of any speed or retract limitations with a MPL ? Not in this country anyway.

If they limit speed and retracts for the RPL it will be a down grade, not an upgrade :D

Fly safe,
Rudi
Yip. By same token any aerie over 450kg's is by def not a ML, but thre are plenty like this flying. Difficult to say as we don't know if they going ti use the US sport pilot guidelines. if so there will def be a downgrade from what we have been "getting away with" in the ML 3 axis category. They say they are going to enforce the 450kg thing in future.... :?
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
emil
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby emil » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:21 am

Rudix wrote:

Pax remains 1.

Fly safe,
Rudi

hi there
i will try and find out the correct numbers
but to make a plane a microlight it is not only there 450 kg limit
there is a min(stall) speed and a mx speed that i know for a fact

i do not know about the retract as there was a few stings's on MPL with retracts and VP prop...i did my VP prop rating on a sting
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:50 am

emil wrote:i will try and find out the correct numbers
but to make a plane a microlight it is not only there 450 kg limit
there is a min(stall) speed and a mx speed that i know for a fact

i do not know about the retract as there was a few stings's on MPL with retracts and VP prop...i did my VP prop rating on a sting
Stings, and many other types were overlooked and CAA did not police the regulations otherwise the Sting would never have made it in as a microlight.

Also no maximum flying speed - only a minimum.
24.01.2.E.2 Classification perimeters
(1) For an aeroplane to be classified as a microlight aeroplane, the following
perimeters need to be met:
(a) minimum flying speed at maximum take-off mass to be less than
65 km/h;
(b) maximum take-off mass of –
(i) 300 kg for a single-seater landplane;
(ii) 330 kg for a single-seater amphibian or seaplane;
(iii) 450 kg for a two-seater landplane; or
(iv) 495 kg for a two-seater amphibian or seaplane.
(2) For the purposes of establishing conformity with subparagraph (1)(b),
the following payloads are to be included:
(a) Per seat: 84 kg.
(b) The lesser of full fuel load or –
(i) 15 kg in the case of a single-seater; or
(ii) 22 kg in the case of a two-seater.