PART 24 - Airworthiness: NTCA

Discussion of all official legislative, legal, licencing and operating matters

Moderator: John Boucher

RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:07 am

From Mike, requesting me to post correspondence on Part 24 here...
Mike wrote: Hi David

Apart from the info that Neil gave you in December when you chatted and he told you about his meeting with Cor Beek etc – because of the holidays nothing has happened since but …

Neil has a meeting tomorrow with the new CEO and the CAA NTCA task team where he will discuss and get clarification on the Part 24 issues. Neil said that by the end of the week he will have a very good idea on action and time frames. Apart from what happens at the meeting tomorrow …. we will put amendments before CARCOM at the Feb meeting and then hopefully the CAA will issue some exemptions to deal with the

Problem areas immediately pending promulgation of the amendments.

I’ll let you know more as soon as I have the details.

All the best

Mike

PS. I told Neil I would answer you from both of us … you are also welcome to call him to discuss as he is the guy at forefront of all the Part 24 stuff.

Copy to Rudi and the committee so that it can be posted on Microlighters.
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure - Aviation offers it all"
http://www.RudiGreyling.com
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:10 am

You got to check this - positve news.

http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB2/viewtopic ... &start=241
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:19 pm

Hi Guys,

Some Good News, Mike emailed me both these Aeroclub information releases:

ON MAINTENANCE ISSUES...

ON THE PROCESS to ALIGN
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:55 am

Hi Guys,

Some Feedback from Mike B, some good and some not so good for the moment. As soon as I get more info or the letter I will post it here as well....
We are working on the amendments to Part 24 next week. Once we have them finalized I will publish them for comment and at the same time give them to the CAA CEO for checking. After we have feedback from both, we will prepare the amendments for the 27th Feb CARCOM meeting. Once the amendments are approved by CARCOM, hopefully the CEO will put the amendments into place within a month at the most ( he has indicated he will do this) by way of an AIC or an amendment pending promulgation. So, some progress at last .. even though it is a bit late.

Andre Swanepoel from the CAA said he will publish a letter soon addressing the issues around Part 24 that relate to maintenance.

As I see it, at the moment we have to adhere to what is written in the regulations even though they are really not what our sport is about and are screwed up – a qualified and rated person (AP, AMO, AME) must do your aircraft maintenance and the maintenance must be done as per the aircraft maintenance schedules. These are 2 of the issues which we will be amending …

Cheers
M
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:08 pm

Damn this is now getting confusing.

So effectively we are a bit stuffed for the next 2 months (at the minumum) in that ATF's any aircraft flying that has not been maintained according to 24.03.1 is illegal :?:
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:10 pm

skybound ® wrote:Damn this is now getting confusing.

So effectively we are a bit stuffed for the next 2 months (at the minumum) in that ATF's any aircraft flying that has not been maintained according to 24.03.1 is illegal :?:
I see we cannot edit our own posts on this forum.

The above should have read:
So effectively we are a bit stuffed for the next 2 months (at the minumum) in that any aircraft flying that has not been maintained according to 24.03.1 is illegal and the ATF invalid :?:
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:42 pm

Mike is talking about 2 issues that will be resolved. One is the maintenance issue where only AP, AMO or AME can do maintenance. What is the other issue??
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
Oddball
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Oddball » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:56 pm

The other issue is that of life extension; as I understand it individuals will be able to apply to extend the life of various components of thier aircraft. This will have to be motivated by the individual. An obvious example is that of the 300 hr Rotax crank life. By providing sufficent motivation as to why the life should be extended (here are 40 engines who are over 600 hours and running fine, for example) you can then take the 'liability' yourself- you'll still be legal as you will have an ATF, but you exonerate the manufacturer and the CAA by asking for the life extension yourself.

At present you are allowed to apply for such an extension but it is apparantly a lengthy process, so the aim is to simplify this process for certain components, such as Rotax 582 engines for example...
A lone impulse of delight drove to this tumult in the skies...