Part 24 Dont you think common sense will win ??

Discussion of all official legislative, legal, licencing and operating matters

Moderator: John Boucher

ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Part 24 Dont you think common sense will win ??

Postby ZULU1 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:31 am

Good Day chaps..

I have been watching the Part 24 "debacle" with considerable interest, Jan 2008 is a few weeks away. I thought I would add a few cents, I am not legally very bright so I don't know fully the legal aspects and so on..

The bottom line (as I see it) effectively is the TBO of Rotax crankshafts..sure other stuff and so on but thats about the major issue.

Surely some common sense will prevail, many people have been working and negotiating hard for rule changes etc. Unsure if anything has been achieved ?? as yet..

In my corporate days, I spent many hours (and at the time I always thought wasted) negotiating wages with the negotiating council.

I am sure many forum members do the same. What always impressed me at the end, all parties had learnt something, some good always came out, new ideas, plans and so on. Not fun but thats work..

This debate is not in the same league, the commissioner or whoever the Engineering body is ?? sees it as Black and White : Engine TBO 300hrs, thats it, crank changed. Finish no debate. We all know otherwise but thats not the point here.

So surely a simple letter/amendment or similar from Rotax or HKS or Jabiru or otherwise will possibly sort out the core issue.

Maybe worded something like this: In certain circumstances the tbo maybe extended following a inspection to review its durability or whatever...

Lets be honest Mike has little to gain from the exercise as the Rotax importer, nobody will buy 582s as they have such a short tbo. As in every business, solutions are always found and it wont be long before alternatives are sourced (or designed). Lets be honest South Africans are particularly good at that !!

I think common sense will prevail; in a few months solutions will be in place.

Maybe attack the problem from another flank..Possibly some skilled wording from the likes of Alan Mack and I am sure other forum members would help. Possibly some help from those that know Rotaxes.

Possibly sufficient ammo in the form of a data base showing crank failures, engine faults....

This should start some form of debate...

Zulu1
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
cobra
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Part 24 Dont you think common sense will win ??

Postby cobra » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:50 am

ZULU1 wrote:
....This debate is not in the same league, the commissioner or whoever the Engineering body is ?? sees it as Black and White : Engine TBO 300hrs, thats it, crank changed. Finish no debate. We all know otherwise but thats not the point here.

So surely a simple letter/amendment or similar from Rotax or HKS or Jabiru or otherwise will possibly sort out the core issue....
Agreed, as mentioned before, the B&W needs to be changed by the manufactures, how its done :?: hopefully Mike will be able to pull something from the bag :wink:
Aerotrike Cobra
MICHIEL
Ready for the first flight

Re: Part 24 Dont you think common sense will win ??

Postby MICHIEL » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:32 pm

Another year has come and gone and who is the winner??? :roll: