proposed amendments to part 24 - reflecting the vote

Discussion of all official legislative, legal, licencing and operating matters

Moderator: John Boucher

RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:15 pm

Morph wrote:I don't believe we have the NTCA voice and as such should be concertrating in Microlights and the new light Sport category, as that is where most of the modern 3-axis babies are going to be classified.

Nice work so far David.
Morph,
we are part of NTCA if we like it or not, we need to stand together or split off. If you read the commissioner's reply to Chris on avcom you see how he sees it: http://avcom.co.za/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=337420#337420
Commissioner:
The thing to do now is something that would appear to be very unfamiliar to General Aviation...."stand together and consolidate a position!" Get Aeroclub to represent the case. I am sometimes amazed at the amount of infighting I am witnessing in the GA subsectors. Fact is, Aeroclub is your only legally recognised representative despite overtures by various chapters to refuse to deal with Aeroclub management and wanting to talk to CAA directly. This problem is serious, its busy damaging GA and you are the only people who can do something about it.
Good catch on Light Sport, I don't think it is currently being covered, or will it be treated as an "Aeroplane" same as PPL aeries???
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure - Aviation offers it all"
http://www.RudiGreyling.com
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:23 pm

Hi Rudi

Just to set the record straight. David and I have not had a commercial interest in microlighting for well over 6 months, and we do not intend to get back into commercial microlighting, but only keep it as a hobby. We do, however, have many years of experience, and our opinion is based on that fact, and what we have learnt in that time.

It is not good enough to base an opinion on a feeling. You have to base it on facts available at the time. More laws don't make for safer skies, but better education, in my experience, does.

I believe that we do not wish to injure any person in his private cappacity, nor do we want any injury to someone who has commercial interest / paid customer.

If we have reason to argue that it is not against safety to allow us to do our own maintenance and use the schedule as guideline only, those same arguments (based on experience), should mean the same level of safety for proffessional operations as well.

You will be hard pressed to convince me that it will be safe in private operations, but not in commercial ones. In fact, I am of the opinion that the opposite is actually true, as engines do not like to stand, so the 503 will get better hours through more use, whether private or proffessional. The professional pilot also has the oportunity to be better educated /more experienced/ more involved than the average private pilot.
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:29 pm

I agree that we are currently branded under the NTCA banner. What I meant is Lamercyfly, myself and most (excluding yourself of course having the RV) microlighters are not focussed, experienced, representitive of non-microlight NTCA aircraft diciplines. I sure as hell as not going to vote to allow all warbirds to be self maintained because I don't know enough about it.

However since we are branded under this one banner, it's up to all the various diciplines to initally get their group together, vote, change, advise etc for each of their own sections, then get together under say an 'Aeroclub' umbrella and collectively submit these recommendations to the CAA
Greg Perkins
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:52 pm

Hi folk..........

My apologies, I should have made it clear right at the beginning......

I have no vested interest in any commercial microlighting at all.......and I have no plans to become involved in any further microlight commercial activities in the future.......(I am an AP, but no longer very active, and only helping out with one or two frineds)

We closed La Mercy Flight Park on the 31 March 2007, and have sold everything...........

I do feel that I am qualified to speak on behalf of future commercial operators due to my 9 years experience of being owner operator of the airfield and training school and workshop, reparing and maintaining microlights and doing AP's (I am also an AP)

And commercial and recreational NTCA is very separated. One is part 94 and the other Part 96.

Just so you know :wink:

Thanks for all the input.
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
Hot Stuff
Survived first engine out
Survived first engine out

Postby Hot Stuff » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:38 am

Morph, well said and well explained

Dave and Annie. We as microlighters tend to forget HOW fortunate we are to have WONDERFUL people like yourselves who commit their own time, money and effort in to this wonderful sport of microlighting on OUR side, even after everything that has been said and done. People like yourselves who get deeply and passionately involved to assist alot of people like myself who would not know any better.

From myself and many others that I know, a MASSIVE BIG "THANK YOU".
Keep it up guys

Best Regards

(name change from batman to SUPERMAN. Hoping the powers of Superman may assist somewhere in this fight)
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:57 pm

please read the report back - part 24 on hangar talk for an update on the issues.

Mr Moderator of Hangar Talk, please move the above topic to this section.
Thanks.

Regards.
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744