3%

Total votes: 119
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

vote on part 24

Postby lamercyfly » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:31 pm

Please urgently cast your vote on the following:

1. You would like to have the right of choice as to whether you do your own maintenance and repairs, and at what point you would like to employ the services of some-one else to either assist you or to do the job.

You also do not want to be told how to do the work. You will do it in terms of standard industry practice.

The person you choose to assist you does not have to be an AP, or an AME etc., In other words, you can ask your local 2-stroke mechanic, or you can take it to an approved service centre etc.,

You will enter all the work done in the aircraft logbook, so that at the next Annual Inspection, the AP can see what work has been done.
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
Petrodactyl
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Doing it yourself

Postby Petrodactyl » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:11 pm

I would not totally agree with your 3rd paragraph. I am not sure that a two-stroke bike mechanic understands all the issues pertaining to aircraft engines and their operating environment. I personally would still like some of my work to be checked and approved by an AP, despite having extensive knowlege gathered from long years as a mechanic in the motor industry.

However, time is an issue. I can get the job done quicker and at my expense, while gaining more knowlege about the things that will keep me alive up there. I shudder every time that I encounter a Sunday aviator office jockey, who avoids at all costs getting his hands dirty or gaining any sort of knowlege about his aircraft.

My 200 Zim$ worth
Petrodactyl
Christian Carver

Go Fly a Trike!

ZU-BBU
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:23 pm

Nothing mystical about most aircraft engines, they are the simplicity themselves and hence have the reliability. Simple specific rules give reliability. I also thought like that until I started to get my hands dirty. Some people do not even want to try, and I respect them for that. I want to...

Then there are the tinkerers, those that want to take that auto engine, add a turbo, or detune this or hot up that. Let them go ahead, that pushed the envelope and progress. Good for them if they can make it work. Experimental Aviation at is best, to those individuals I applaud you...

Do you think Space Ship One would have ever launched if they had to keep within the limits of traditional Certified thinking. No way. Result space travel reality for the public.

I guess you know where my vote went :twisted:

Regards
Rudi
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure - Aviation offers it all"
http://www.RudiGreyling.com
glenvdm
Looking at the sky

Self maintenance

Postby glenvdm » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:02 pm

I don't think it is a good idea for every Tom, Dick and Harry to be doing his own maintenance on his plane, minor things I think is fair but when it come to technical stuff I totally disagree, there are a lot of bush mechanics out there, and I see it in the aviation industry everday!! there are engine failures all the time at our facility here at Pratt & Whitney due to people doing shoddy work and some of it is by people who just don't have a technical background. I think that the idea of having an AP doing inspections of work carried out is a good idea, as they are technical people and will know the limits one can go in some areas of maintenance. As far as sending all work to an approved facility, I think that this is the discretion of the owner.
Andre
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby Andre » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:40 pm

As it is I find it a slep to find a AP to do my annual inspection, so imagine trying to get hold of one every 25 hours to do plugs, filters replacement and routine maintenance. I do agree that a AP must do the annual inspections and major work/overalls but not the line maintenance
I do proper maintenance not because of any laws or because the book tells me to do it but because I know it is my life and the lives of my loved ones that depends on me and I make double sure I do it correctly
Working is for the birds
Airborn Edge 582
ZU-CND
ben
Signed up at flight school

Postby ben » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:31 pm

I do not see an AP as the A & O because I trust myself and my life depends on my ability to do it according to the book to satisfy myself to stay alive and others going with me. BUT an AP serves the right to make you aware of things which you as a human being might oversee. Stick to the rules and do not deviate.

Ben
ZU-AJN Hornet Trike
ZS-GYI Motor Falke
allcylinders
First solo

Postby allcylinders » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:59 pm

I feel that I should have the right to choose.

I know that I will take the due care in keeping engine well maintained and would like to be able to choose when to bring in an "expert" at least I know if I do it myself, its done right and I know my engine well.

Give it to some one else, not only does it drive the cost of flying up for me, but the AP is also human and is not going to necessarily take as much care as I am. Especially if its now law that he must do all these things and hence his work load increases.

My 2c

:)
Love Flying
JOHANN FRONEMAN
Slow starter

Re: vote on part 24

Postby JOHANN FRONEMAN » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:16 pm

[quote="lamercyfly"]Please urgently cast your vote on the following:

1. You would like to have the right of choice as to whether you do your own maintenance and repairs, and at what point you would like to employ the services of some-one else to either assist you or to do the job.

You also do not want to be told how to do the work. You will do it in terms of standard industry practice.

The person you choose to assist you does not have to be an AP, or an AME etc., In other words, you can ask your local 2-stroke mechanic, or you can take it to an approved service centre etc.,

You will enter all the work done in the aircraft logbook, so that at the next Annual Inspection, the AP can see what work has been done.[/quote]
J.FRONEMAN
grostek
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby grostek » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:37 pm

Welcome to the forum Johann,

Hope a man with your experience can make a big contribution.

Ja boet Trichardt is ver weg in die geskiedenis, toe was dinge nog simpel en nie onmoontlik nie. :(

Kind regards,

Gunter Rostek
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:11 am

Hi Johann!

Lekker om jou op die forum te sien - hoop jy kuier lank en skryf baie. Man, jy het omtrent LEWE na "gras root aviation" in Saldanha gebring!

Groete
Henni

Dra my groete oor aan Ron en laat weet dat sy ex Mizer nog steeds "tops" is. Sy gaan nou 'n bietjie grimering kry...
Keep grassroot aviation alive!
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:29 am

And a very warm welcome from me too Johann......

You have so much experience, and I am sure that you can be a great help during this period of putting the laws in place that we microlight pilots want.

Thank you for your vote........

Regards.
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
MidlifeCrisis
Pre flight checks done

vote on part 24

Postby MidlifeCrisis » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:03 pm

Yes I would like the right to work on my own aircraft.
Badger
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Location: Farm "Stukkie Hemel" Dinokeng Game Reserve (25 21.229 S 28 24.457 E) & Saudi Arabia.

Postby Badger » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:32 pm

[quote="MidlifeCrisis"]Yes I would like the right to work on my own aircraft.[/quote]
I too would like to do some maintenance on my own aircraft.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breaths away"
Savannah MXP740 VG
JACO
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby JACO » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:39 am

HI ALL

YES, I'M ALL FOR DOING MY OWN MAINTENANCE, BUT LIKE THE IDEA OF BEING ABLE TO PHONE, FAX, MAIL, SOMEONE WITH MORE EXPERIENCED,
FOR HELP.
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:54 pm

I prefer doing the majority of work on my plane. Am very particular about maintenance as it's my life on the line!

I have a motto of when in doubt take it out! Therefore, the day to day items like plugs, filters, oil etc never really see their due date. I do however want the choice of employing whichever pro needed should there be an issue I cannot solve.
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil: