Discussion of all official legislative, legal, licencing and operating matters

Moderator: John Boucher

LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

J number - non type certification

Postby LarryMcG » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:32 am

HI All

Not sure where this falls, or if the issue is being fought, but it needs to be, along with all the other issues.

CAA seem to be refusing build numbers / registration for aircraft, even those that have many flying in the country, ie Jora, RV etc.

Savannah agent seems to have got it right, Jora is busy, sonex is having hell, not sure how far RV is, etc etc

They now seem to demand that we fly two of them on business class, put them up in a 5 star hotel, so that they can"inspect" the factory where the kits are manufactured.

THis is a load of BS, and is costing a fortune, as well as delaying registratrion of lots of aircraft.

Once again, they will force us to fly illegally.

Anybody have any info?

LM
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:25 am

Stan Oliver had a meeting with CAA yesterday. I have no official response, but I have heard via grape vine (while refuelling yesterday) that progress was made and that it can be resolved. It seems the law is vague and that uncertainty rather than malice is culprit. I assume some sort of communication from Aero club will be forth coming?

PS
I say again it second hand info so treat as such. Best to try to contact Aero club (Stan or Neil) to get facts. :wink:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:38 pm

Hi Larry.

Yes, there are problems in that department.

I would personally apply for a 'MANDAMUS' ORDER against the commissioner. It is latin for 'now go and perform'..........

There is enough substance, which no court of law could refuse as reasonable evidence, to support almost all of you guys against what is an UNREASONABLE demand from CAA.

My goodness, even the CATS acknowledge the BCAR K as an acceptable standard...... In the hang gliding and paragliding, they accept the entire BCAR as acceptable. This means that if they try and say that NTCA is BCAR S, it is bollocks, as they have in 2 places acknowledged BCAR as an acceptable body. I don't believe you will even have to supply supporting arguments, such as (a) numerous existing types already flying in SA (b) hundreds flying worldwide etc., etc.,

My contribution to this topic would then be as follows;

1. Apply for type acceptance in terms of :

AIRWORTHINESS: Non-type Certified Aircraft

Subpart 1 - General

Airworthiness

24.01.2 (3) The commissioner may consider a foreign manufacturing organization as being approved by the commissioner if that facility was approved by an appropriate authority. In motivation of the above, I would refer to the CATS-NTCA 24.01.2.A.2. Design Criteria ...at the top of page NTCA 11, I quote (Note: Airworthiness standards that are acceptable to the Commissioner include-

(a) BCAR Section K 'light aircraft'

this goes through to (j). If the aircraft you are importing is included in any of these, then the CAA have no reasonable grounds for refusing your import and build number and proving flights etc.,

The 'mandamus' order should be to instruct the CCA to 'now go and perform' in terms of the above.

my 2c worth (don't take kak from idiots - misguided or otherwise)

ps. CAA employees are given very strict advice on 'not taking bribes'....
YOU CANNOT TAKE THEM OUT FOR LUNCH, YOU CANNOT GIVE THEM GIFTS ETC., Now, tell me, where does the 5 star accomodation come into this..........book them into a bloody back-packers.............lest your 5 star treatment can be construed as 'bribery'...Yep, I believe it........

Cheers.
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744