Part 24 : First issue to debate.

Discussion of all official legislative, legal, licencing and operating matters

Moderator: John Boucher

Massimo
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Massimo » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:21 pm

That excactly it Iceman. We use motors that are not certified and spark plugs that are not supposed to be used for flying so "whats the point of all this".

Issue is with CAA................................. :evil:

But a BIG thanks to ALL that are fighting for us. :wink:

And yes get Rotax to change the manuals is a good angle, at least for the cranks.
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:26 pm

mike2flyfar wrote: 2. The maintenance manuals can be amended by the aircraft manufacturer to reflect a more reasonable maintenence and overhaul schedule if so desired. (This will take some work but after investigation I believe it is possible). Different manufacturers have different views on the maintenance/overhaul issue - so this solves the problem.

Cheers
M
Where does this come from Mike? On this forum, the members on this forum who were consulted on this issue did not ask MISASA to support drawing up individual different maintenance schedules, but to get the law to state that we use the Maintenance Manual 'as guideline'

So, who have you consulted on this as a solution, and has the issue been thought out properly in those meetings?

This solution is not acceptable, as

1. It requires a whole lot of paperwork again

2. If Aero Club / MISASA have not succeeded in any real communication in YEARS, what kind of confusion will be caused here?

3. In my experience manufacturers like Solo Wings change maintenance requirements from one serial number to the next without any change in design (like pylons - 500 hours in one manual - 1000 hours in the next)

4. Who will administer distribution of these 'amended' manuals

5. How are the AP's going to cope with this level of paperwork?

6. What about liability issues if this is your sollution? Am I going to be fined for things which are now MORE confusing than ever :?:

7. What about the fact that we use 'not for aviation' components such as sparkplugs / filters?

Come on Mike, this forum is for communication. You have used it, but come up with solutions which do not seem to be based on what we discuss on the forum?

How are you and David going to deal with the meeting tonight, if after 2 hours with David yesterday, all the consultation here, on SAMicro, you still seem to be saying your own thing?
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living
ICEMAN
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby ICEMAN » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:24 pm

Massimo wrote:That excactly it Iceman. We use motors that are not certified and spark plugs that are not supposed to be used for flying so "whats the point of all this".

Issue is with CAA................................. :evil:

But a BIG thanks to ALL that are fighting for us. :wink:

And yes get Rotax to change the manuals is a good angle, at least for the cranks.
But what about motors that dont have manuals ........ ???. see where im going with this- i believe that some trikes/ mpl`s have been flown with bmw motorcycle engines..... and nowehere in those manuals does it even mention 300hrs.....

perhaps its time for us to look at alternative powerplants for the industry..... or find suppliers of other motors that are more flexible.....
ZU-CPW..... t/bird mk2
Hoedspruit Civil Airfield
Hangar 8
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:34 pm

mike2flyfar wrote: ....
YES OF COURSE. YOUR ASSOCIATION IS A RUN BY A TINY BAND OF PEOPLE WHO GIVE THEIR TIME FOR FREE AND TRY THEIR BEST TO MAKE THINGS GOOD AND FAIR. BUT WE ARE JUST 10. SO TELL ME DERIK, HAVE YOU DONE ANYTHING AT ALL FOR YOUR SPORT? HAVE YOU HELPED IN ANY WAY? WOULD YOU AT LEAST STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND SAY ... OK, THERE IS A PROBLEM, LET ME TAKE THE INITIATIVE AND NOT ONLY GATHER ALL THE INFORMATION THAT IS NEEDED, BUT DRAFT THE CHANGES, TAKE IT THOUGH THE LEGAL SYSTEM UNTIL IT IS IN THE REGULATIONS. IT IS NOT A BIG COMMITMENT - MAYBE ONLY 100 HOURS OF WORK OVER THE NEXT YEAR....
I think that more than anything, we need a leader who will be able to used the energy of the few willing effectively, through communication. It is of no use to tell the member: 'what have you done' if you have not given him a clear indication of what is actuallly going on. Most people are extreemly confused, and therefore they don't have any idea what they can do.

I do not think that many members expect MISASA to do some stuff behind the scenes. More like they want to know what the issues are, what can be done about it and who is helping. Keep an open log of progress (maybe on the this forum), and that way more people CAN help, CAN get involved. Its co-ordination which is required. Not blaming, and not finding excuses.

After so many years in the current MISASA format, somehow I don't think we are achieving this.
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living