Discussion of all official legislative, legal, licencing and operating matters

Moderator: John Boucher

andreb
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Help

Postby andreb » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:00 pm

Dave

Thanks for your efforts. I am available to help where you want and will also assist in rallying the (not insignificant) number of pilots at ERMF (Microland).

Let us know what you want from us in the short term?

cheers

Andre
Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints

Non scholae sed vitae discimus
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:36 pm

Hi Andre.

Thanks for your offer.

If you could get as many pilots from ERMF Microland to not only join this forum (microlighters.co.za), but help them to use the page so that their voices can be heard in the discussions and again in the vote.

The same applies to guys at other airfields and clubs. Urgently get on your telephone and call your mates. If they are members, get them talking. If not members, sign 'em up :lol: and teach them how to use the page.

Thanks guys.

This is the only way we are going to reach a substantial number of people in the shortest time.........

I would also not mind attending your breakfast, and listening to what your pilots have to say..........and maybe answering questions..........

Regards.
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:26 pm

Said earlier on this thread that I would report back on the Aero Club meeting. I have posted this under it's own heading, but for the sake of continuity am re-posting it here.

Regards.

Annie and I met Neil on Thursday morning, and had a lekka chat...

He has asked us to submit, urgently, what we could like........

He has assured us both Aero club and the Commissioners co-operation in finding win-win solutions for NTCA.

Annie's and my main concern is microlighting, especially trikes and the older genuine microlight fixed wings.

We also had a brief visit with Mike, the chairman of MISASA. His concern was that we were not caring about the rest of NTCA............

We will, however, try to reword things in such a way that all NTCA is covered, including the proposed new LSA

Annie and I are will submit applications that are going to be based on what you guys are saying on these chat forums.

So pleeeze, I have asked repeatedly, get your fingers typing, and get your fellow pilot friends on board.

We only have 5 more days.........
andreb
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Thanks

Postby andreb » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:12 pm

Thanks Dave.
Sorry I havent got back to you yet..got really hectic here.
We are in the process of getting the message out to ERMF members. We would really appreciate it if you would attend our breakfast at Microland this Saturday, 10 Nov. The gusy would all welcome the opportunity to chat about this.
I believe that Mike Blyth is also attending.
Members from any other clubs are also welcome to attend the breakfast.

Thanks for what you guys are doing.

cheers

Andre
Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints

Non scholae sed vitae discimus
kb
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby kb » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:06 am

Hells bells. So I get out of the triking world somewhat for a almost a year, and it now seems that not only am I going to be left with a trike I cannot sell, but also cannot fly. My closest AP (that I know of) is 200 k's away.
I am now officially NEGOCIABLE for my plane.
"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."
Thermal
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Crap!!

Postby Thermal » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:59 pm

Why are they doin this.

This will take flying away from many people who will not be able to afford new aircraft.

What will my liscense be worth from Jan????? I might as well upgrade to fixed wing..........

Who can help to explain the facts I really would like to go on and buy something and now???

Cheers
T

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Microlighting gives you wings!

ZU - ZIP (Nothing?!) yet!
kb
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby kb » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:28 am

Does this mean if you get a auth to fly before end of this year, you are safe untill end of next year. Safe from par of the new rules.
"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:35 pm

Any authorities to fly which are current when the new year comes in, will only remain current if all the conditions which are required for it to retain currency are met.

In other words, it is the pilot/owner/operators responsibility to ensure that the aircraft is maintained in compliance with the laws.

The new laws state that you have to maintain your aircraft strictly in compliance with the manufacturers recommendations - which includes the rotax engine maintenance schedule.

So, If your engine has exceeded 150hrs, and you have not had it stripped down and had the pistons, rings and barrels mic'd, and some other things, then your aircraft will no longer be airworthy, and your Auth. To Fly will not be valid.

That's the short and sweet of it :(

Regards.
David Daniel
ICEMAN
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby ICEMAN » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:20 pm

lamercyfly wrote:Any authorities to fly which are current when the new year comes in, will only remain current if all the conditions which are required for it to retain currency are met.

In other words, it is the pilot/owner/operators responsibility to ensure that the aircraft is maintained in compliance with the laws.

The new laws state that you have to maintain your aircraft strictly in compliance with the manufacturers recommendations - which includes the rotax engine maintenance schedule.
So, If your engine has exceeded 150hrs, and you have not had it stripped down and had the pistons, rings and barrels mic'd, and some other things, then your aircraft will no longer be airworthy, and your Auth. To Fly will not be valid.

That's the short and sweet of it :(

Regards.

And each and every manual/ manufacturers recomendations include the following:

WARNING: This engine by its design, is subject to sudden stoppage. Engine stoppage can result in crash landings, forced landings or no power landings. Such crash landings can lead to serious bodily injury or death.

WARNING: This is not a certified aircraft engine. It has not recieved any safety or durability standards. It is for use only in experimental uncertified aircraft and vehicles only in which engine failure will not compromise safety. User assumes all risk of use and acknowledges by his uses that he knows this engine is subject to sudden stoppages.

My question then is- whats the use of adhering to a stringent "by the book" approach when manufacturers accepts no liabilty whatsoever....... serviced or not!
ZU-CPW..... t/bird mk2
Hoedspruit Civil Airfield
Hangar 8
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:11 pm

:lol: :lol: that's exactly why we have started the discussions on this forum, and asked everyone to vote.

I hope you have voted.

By the way, I am busy re-writing the regulations to address this contradiction right now - just taking a coffee break - and will be putting them onto this forum before end of business tomorrow.

I simply answered the question - I did not write the law - nor am I responsible for the fact that they actually got promulgated. And this forum is not about apportioning responsibility.......... It is about finding the solutions, and then making sure they get implemented......before 1 Jan 2008

So please stand by, all of us, to carry on in a pro-active way, as we have been since this page was opened for us by Barry........
David Daniel
ICEMAN
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby ICEMAN » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:20 pm

lamercyfly wrote::
I hope you have voted.

For sure........
ZU-CPW..... t/bird mk2
Hoedspruit Civil Airfield
Hangar 8
Skimmer
Ready for the first flight

Postby Skimmer » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:25 am

"WHEN YOU ARE UP TO YOUR AR#$ IN CROCODILES, REMEMBER THE ORIGINAL PLAN WAS TO DRAIN THE SWAMP". The idea of these regs is SAFE FLIGHT ie to prevent deaths & injuries. Does MISASA have any statistics that would quantify the safety of the sport compared to TCA GA activites and other pastimes (like taking a taxi ride). Would also show what areas to address such as structural, fuel management, engine maintenance, etc. How many accidents/incidents have been due to engine timex problems rather than just plain old maintenance issues (like fuel filters)?? Can CAA support its actions with stats?
Think of what the Wright brothers could have done with a Rotax!
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:32 am

In terms of the LS/1 document(the one that I have, I am not aware of amendments to it) Aero club we charged with the responsibility of accident management and investigation etc.,

This task would appear to have faded into insignificance as far as microlighting is concerned........

I am not aware of any significant data base.......A great shame......Something I wand to sort out in the new year..........One of the only ways of successfully tracking trends.........

......then we can deal, through education and training, these trends......

Regards.
David Daniel
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:16 am

Skimmer wrote:Can CAA support its actions with stats?
There in lies the problem. I think stats wise this year, helicopters should be banned from flying over built up areas :twisted:

It seems that the response to your challenge gets pushed right back to us whereby the CAA would request us to provide the stats and other information to support and motivate less strict regulations.
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:32 am

skybound ® wrote:provide the stats and other information to support and motivate less strict regulations.
Now there I see some wisdom with regards to grass root aviation at last...treat the real problem areas i.e. rather emphasize on the "do not get into a situation where an engine out would be fatal to anyone" in stead of trying to prevent engine outs with all sorts of heavy fines and crazy legislation.

Not looking for a silly argument, just stating how this looks from my point of view.

Please remember one thing: The majority of us who fly microlights do so because we love flying, but cannot afford any other type of flying. Don't force us into the same category as those with money to spare. Most of us operate from the bundus, away from any highly populated areas. We are no serious threat to the population on the ground.

Yes, of course we should be licensed! Just don't make the sport too costly for us! We also love to fly & should be accommodated.

Henni
Keep grassroot aviation alive!