single seat microlight exemption

Discussion of all official legislative, legal, licencing and operating matters

Moderator: John Boucher

Staggerwing
Found a flight school

single seat microlight exemption

Postby Staggerwing » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:07 pm

I live not far fro Cape Town on a farm with a small strip.A few years ago , not so long maybe 3 years , Microlight aircraft would fly over, or even land.Sometimes they would be a gaggle of 5 ,or even more.I surely miss this and i can think there were a economic contribution made by this activity. The reason for there disappearance can not only be the economy.I would think think we should now start to look at a single seat ultralight exemption along the lines BMA, or even the Germans is doing it ,or even part 103 in the US.
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Re: single seat microlight exemption

Postby Grumpy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:56 pm

Staggerwing wrote: not far fro Cape Town on a farm with a small strip. ............Gaggle of 5, I surely miss this
Ha Ha , Give us the co-ords and make sure you got a hot coffee and buns, and we'll come hound you often. (^^) (^^)

We've been known to be a group of twenty, but alas, the economy is biting into our numbers. :roll: :roll:
We'd love to take you up on your invite (^^) (^^)
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
Staggerwing
Found a flight school

Postby Staggerwing » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:05 pm

Yea grumpy.
The post was actually to start some debate to encourage a new category , discipline,to bring back traditional ultralight flying, with less legislative issues.
You are welcome to fly in provided you come and inspect the field before hand ,during witch visit you can take your own coordinates ,i am in the Paarl area.
mjlaviation
Found a flight school

Postby mjlaviation » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi Gentlemen,
I was getting ready to ask exactly if there is in South Africa any legislation such as the Part 103 of USA and saw this topic.
Can someone answer YES/NO to this question? Do we have something like it in South Africa?
I am not interested in flying in the big leagues of the beautiful and expensive Trikes, but am very interested in flying whenever i can for recreation and photo shooting, where i don't bother any traffic.
I wonder if South African regulations are written around development and progress, which can only happen if creativity and invention is incentivised, of course without excessive and prohibitive rules and regulations, but ones that concern mainly matters of security.
Thanks
Mario
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Mario, the answer is YES vhpy

Go the soaring trike route. It falls under the AeCSA sub-section of SAHPA (SA hang gliding and paragliding association).

No radios, no call signs, no ATF's, minimal medical requirements, easy license renewal system, halve the costs.

Google SAHPA and ask the secretary, Louise Liversedge to put you in contact with Johan Anderson (based in Wilderness) or PM Jenya on this forum.

Keep us posted vhpy
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
mjlaviation
Found a flight school

Postby mjlaviation » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:47 pm

Hi "Kloot Piloot",

This is great news. Thank you very much.
I will start contacting the people you indicate and see where i get.

i will surely keep you informed.

All the best
Mário
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:18 am

Hi,

Having done a 1000 microlight hours, I needed a change. I just bought a Zee, and did the conversion from microlight to "motorised hang-glider". See http://www.zu-dve.com and my latest log.

Johan Anderson is the man you want to talk to.

A few points

The Zee (engin, car, wing) will set you back 100K (approx 30K, 30K, 30K) - importing the wing and engin (Johan knows the ropes) and purchasing the car, made by Johan
Conversion is simple, some flying hours, some theory, paperwork by SAHPA (a bit slow) and will cost a couple of 1000s
The Zee is slow - the idea is to soar, not to go somewhere
At Wilderness with the lift against the cliffs it was possible to stay aloft, engin out
Every landing is a dead-stick, sparing the prop
At Aurora I am yet to soar, perhaps because I am still trying to find my feet and am cautious of that de-rigging in the south-westerly
Rigging and de-rigging is fairly straightforward (but watch that wind, the wind just want to fly)
The Zee undercarriage folds up and fits into the back of a twin-cab, the wing goes on a ladder on the roof.
The Black Devil engin comes from Italy, and detaches completely for transport, if needed
The idea is probably to drive the Zee to a soaring spot, rig, fly, de-rig
The wing is too wide to fit (rigged) in my hangar at Aurora, probably about 75cm wider than the Aquilla's
It goes through as a hang-glider since the wing (a tandem Wills Wings) can be flown on its own
No reg no, no registration, no prescribed burocratic wrangles
In theory can be landed at any hang-gliding LZ - and elsewhere, but I can see that the MHG fraternity (I think there are around 10!) should self-restrain and self-police so as not to cause trouble
No radio - but I fly in the military zone so got a Paul Lintot set-up. At the moment some interference with engin, will need to see what I can do about that.

Anything more you want to know, let me know.

Gert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:05 am

Hi Gert.

I have been eyeballing the Bloop ( http://m-sandlin.info/bloop/bloop.htm ) as a next project, but like that soaring trike, it is excluded from the definition of a powered hanglider (because it lands on wheels). Can you tell me who I need to talk to about getting a project like this approved?

Thanks,
Justin
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:26 am

"powered hang glider or paraglider" means a glider capable of being carried, footlaunched and landed and having the use of an engine. Powered paragliders may include the use of wheels for take off and landing. Powered hang gliders which cannot be footlaunched without major alterations are specifically excluded. See addendum A."

From the SAHPA Ops Manual. Since the wing can be footlaunched by simply removing the "cart", it goes through as a MHG. This cannot be said for the wings of the usual "flexwing" microlights.

As for your Bloop, I think that is something completely different.
Staggerwing
Found a flight school

Postby Staggerwing » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Glad to see discussion on the issue,back in the days weight shift Quicksilvers were foot launched hang gliders.I stand to be corrected but i think the fledge also started life as a foot launched hang glider.
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:01 pm

The Zee in action (not me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=686WQg9h1e0

Will see if I get to soar this weekend...