Manual of Procedure

Discussion of all official legislative, legal, licencing and operating matters

Moderator: John Boucher

alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Manual of Procedure

Postby alanmack » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:32 pm

The new version of the Manual of Procedure (MOP) under consideration by the Aero Club / RAASA / CAA etc as a part of the process to make us "self governing" ? in up for deliberation.

As your aviation souls are to be governed by this document it is important that you review it. You simply cannot be disinterested. MISASA will act on behalf of all irrespective of your membership status.

Please go to www.weboonline.com/misasa/ where you can see the MOP as an electronic flip book or under the FEEDBACK tab you can download a copy.

You can send your comments to Rowena Kraidy who drafted the MOP her email address is: rowena@lefssa.com

Fly safe
NEMO
I have now joined the ranks of wannabe pilots!
ystervark7
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Re: Manual of Procedure

Postby ystervark7 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:48 pm

I have tried several times to email but the emails bounce back. Here are my 2c of comments:

I am not a lawyer so some of my comments might not be applicable in which case please forgive me.
1) in 1.15 the issue of equipment is just briefly mentioned. No definition is given of equipment but I assume that it includes all equipment including instruments, strips, first aid kit etc. This has been a contentious issue for a long time since the rules applicable to PPL is also applied to MPL, gyros etc. but nobody can actually show legally that this is required for microlights etc. Is it therefore possible to spell this out clearly in this document? Some of the currently applied rules are just plain stupid such as strips and and a fire extinguisher in a trike, a cell phone and GPS has more use but are not required because these rules date from the 1940's. (no pilot that I know flying a trike ever uses his/her air speed indicator either and swinging your compass on a trike is also a bit of an overkill because you can not point it to an accuracy of 5 degrees while flying, The reality of most microlights and trikes are that they either only fly close to base or in groups and on long trips using a GPS.)

2) Is it possible to have one single administration body handle payments? RAASA I think is in a good position to do this. They will then pass on all fees to the appropriate parties. (The fees include MISASA, Aeroclub, RAASA and ICASA). I am sure that most people will be happy with this even if there is and administration fee applicable.

3) 2.11 Why are licenses only valid for 2 years? I understand that PPL licenses are now valid for 10 years. Are we more of a danger than someone with a PPL?
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby alanmack » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:31 pm

I have forwarded your note to the team managing the progress of the MOP through the system.

Thank you for the comment

Fly safe
NEMO
I have now joined the ranks of wannabe pilots!
cobra
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby cobra » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:45 am

Aerotrike Cobra
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:50 am

ystervark7 wrote: 1) in 1.15
I think this handles with having a compass when flying further than 20nm from base and having a altimeter when flying higher than 500ft AGL.
Agree with you 100% that this should be revised to fit our needs better.
Think the fire extinguisher, strips etc is another part though.
ystervark7 wrote: 3) 2.11 Why are licenses only valid for 2 years? I understand that PPL licenses are now valid for 10 years. Are we more of a danger than someone with a PPL?
PPL licenses are valid for 10 years, but you still need to do a re validation every 2 years, other they are worth nothing. The effectiveness works exactly as our Raasa licenses for WCM. When I did a renewal for my ppl last year, they gave me new papers to insert into my license. My opinion is that you walk clockwise around the block with the ppl licenses and anti-clockwise with the raasa licenses. You end up at the same spot.
I would suggest that they make the licenses valid for the same length as your medical certificate. 2 or 4 years depending on your age.

Lastly, I think this is a great idea. We should all read this and start following the rules. That would make our environment a safer one for all.
(^^) (^^)
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:20 pm

Dirk... a move in the right direction don't you think?
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:05 pm

John Boucher wrote:Dirk... a move in the right direction don't you think?
This should have been done long before the whole part 24 issue. Definitely a move in the right direction.
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"