RAF

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

RAF

Postby Boet » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:14 pm

I recently had the privelege to spend some time with Eben snr at the RAF factory in Upington. Asked many questions, and got the answers I am looking for. I now look at this machine with different eyes. There is a similarity between flying a Gyro, and flying a trike. In both instances you are "flying" the wing/rotor, and not the "karretjie". That is why the RAF has a ROTOR stab trim attached to the rotor blade, and NOT to the "karretjie". You trim the ROTOR, not the rest of the gyro. The mast has a natural rubber flex built in, to cope with turbulence. (VERY clever system) I found this to be a very high quality, superbly well finished and thought out product, now also proudly South African. Well worth looking at when you want to go Gyro. The price and bang for your buck is unbelievable good. A go-for. (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)
Attachments
101_2110.jpg
101_2110.jpg (92.53 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: RAF

Postby Learjet » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:55 pm

Boet, it sounds like the Mocke's almost sold you a gyro! vhpy
Dave Lehr
Magni Gyro M22 ZU-EPZ
“You're flying Buzz! No Woody we're falling in style!”
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:53 pm

:lol: now if only I could fit in........ :oops: :cry:
MICHIEL
Ready for the first flight

Postby MICHIEL » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:25 pm

Are the rotor components and blades locally manufactured?
johnsa
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby johnsa » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:52 pm

Boet wrote:I recently had the privelege to spend some time with Eben snr at the RAF factory in Upington. Asked many questions, and got the answers I am looking for. I now look at this machine with different eyes. There is a similarity between flying a Gyro, and flying a trike. In both instances you are "flying" the wing/rotor, and not the "karretjie". That is why the RAF has a ROTOR stab trim attached to the rotor blade, and NOT to the "karretjie". You trim the ROTOR, not the rest of the gyro. The mast has a natural rubber flex built in, to cope with turbulence. (VERY clever system) I found this to be a very high quality, superbly well finished and thought out product, now also proudly South African. Well worth looking at when you want to go Gyro. The price and bang for your buck is unbelievable good. A go-for. (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)

So what is the price full details Boet if you write something ##
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:04 am

As far as I know, everything is manufactured locally. No John, I was NOT paid to be positive towards this product. I was IMPRESSED by what I saw. If everybody in the flying fratenity would just be a little more positive, what a wonderfull world this would be. vhpy
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:08 am

I am not exactly sure about the price, but I know you can buy 3 RAF`s for what you pay for some of the open cockpit, vrek vannie koud, imported gyros. :wink: Like I said: A LOT of bang for your hard-earned buck. vhpy
MICHIEL

Postby MICHIEL » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:24 am

MICHIEL wrote:Are the rotor components and blades locally manufactured?
:roll: :roll:
.......and what is the guarantee on the reconditioned subaru? :?: :?:
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:54 pm

NOT RECONDITIONED. FACTORY REMANUFACTURED. Big difference. Go do you homework before you go ## ## ## ## ## ##
MICHIEL

Postby MICHIEL » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:00 am

My humble apologies :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I was not aware that the engines were actually remanufactured by the Subaru factory . . . . :lol: :lol: :lol: now please tell us what the factory guarantee is . . . .
flying-i
First solo

Postby flying-i » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:55 am

Ja Boet, on a trip to Namibia and Botswana we cleared customs at Upington and hooked up with the Mocke family. After they helped us over many logistical hurdels, we were also privileged to be given a tour of their RAF factory/ facility.

I too asked asked many questions and received only positive and informed information pertaining to all types and makes of Gyro. The unique selling points of the RAF were explained and demonstrated to me while construction of several RAF's was happening in the backround. Great people, great product, great inovation and a great business.

I wish them all the very best with the RAF for the future.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:35 am

Boet wrote::lol: now if only I could fit in........ :oops: :cry:
MUITAB
Take doors off, fit centre stick and put a cheek on each seat..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
johnht
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby johnht » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:39 pm

Halelujah!! At last someone has something positive to say about the RAF!!

It seems the gyrocopter fraternity has in the past always sought some reason to break down any other brands than the 'main stream' types.

I hope to be visiting Upington soon to also experience the RAF first hand. We should all strive to promote gyros in SA rather than break other brands/technologies down - especially if we don't really know all the facts!

My 2cw.

John

zu_jht
MICHIEL

Postby MICHIEL » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:13 pm

Now somebody must make Bennie s day and say something positive about his Leopard that is for sale!! (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:33 pm

Ebie, vertel tog asb vir die oom wat die fabriek waarborg op julle enjins is. Hy wil tog so graag weet.