The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Gyro ongelukke

Postby t-bird » Mon May 12, 2008 4:45 pm

Hi Emil

I think that you are getting confused by flying all the different types 8.5 hours in a Gyro and not getting a feel for it.
No difference between a Thunderbird and Gyro. – That is control wise.
I was solo after 4 hours.

You where happy flying Homebuilts and Skyfoxes at Rhino and if I remembered correctly a few accidents as well.

What do you have against Gyro’s ?

You have started out defending the Xenon tooth and nail and now you would not set you foot in one.

You know the circumstance with Braam and the MT-03. I don’t think that you can blame the Gyro !!

Hub bar failure on the sycamore at Rhino ? – Maintenance ??? Modifications ??

Trike pilot pushing forward on finals as you would do for a go around in a trike. Just a pitty that any other aircraft works the other way around. Dented his pride and Rhino’s runway. Sounds like pilot error to me.

Heli flying easier than Gyro’s ??? Any knowledgeable person would disagree. And yes I have been in a heli.

So Emil it would be interesting to hear which aircraft do you think is safe ???

Regards

Callie
emil
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby emil » Mon May 12, 2008 5:17 pm

t-bird wrote:Hi Emil

I think that you are getting confused by flying all the different types 8.5 hours in a Gyro and not getting a feel for it.
No difference between a Thunderbird and Gyro. – That is control wise.
I was solo after 4 hours.

You where happy flying Homebuilts and Skyfoxes at Rhino and if I remembered correctly a few accidents as well.

What do you have against Gyro’s ?

You have started out defending the Xenon tooth and nail and now you would not set you foot in one.

You know the circumstance with Braam and the MT-03. I don’t think that you can blame the Gyro !!

Hub bar failure on the sycamore at Rhino ? – Maintenance ??? Modifications ??

Trike pilot pushing forward on finals as you would do for a go around in a trike. Just a pitty that any other aircraft works the other way around. Dented his pride and Rhino’s runway. Sounds like pilot error to me.

Heli flying easier than Gyro’s ??? Any knowledgeable person would disagree. And yes I have been in a heli.

So Emil it would be interesting to hear which aircraft do you think is safe ???

Regards

Callie
Callie...if you read my 2 posts again ..
then you will see
1. i said i went solo in a Heli in 8.5 hours a enstrom FX280
2. i said this is personal
3. i said about the gyro at rhino with braam ..as i saw the gyro after the accident..and am sure ther will be some pics around...and if some one was a pax in that gyro he would have been dead
4. as for me in plane accidents..yes there was 2 ..on both i had engine failures...and both i my self and the pax walked away...and the last one i even flew the plane out of the grass back on tp the run way gain ..
5. i do think a fixed wing plane has more protection around the cockpit than any gyro.
6. yes i did defend the Xenon as for i think it is the best one out there..AGAIN personal opinion

so i don’t really mind how much you like gyro's i don’t and 2 people here asked me why and i told them
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Mon May 12, 2008 6:33 pm

Dietrich Bonhoeffer:
To understand reality is not the same as to know about outward events. It is to perceive the essential nature of things. The best-informed man is not necessarily the wisest. Indeed there is a danger that precisely in the multiplicity of his knowledge he will lose sight of what is essential. But on the other hand, knowledge of an apparently trivial detail quite often makes it possible to see into the depth of things. And so the wise man will seek to acquire the best possible knowledge about events, but always without becoming dependent upon this knowledge. To recognize the significant in the factual is wisdom.

I do not wish to enter the debate other than to make two points.

1. A gyro is significantly more stable than a helicopter, consider the airodynamics and its obvious.
2. The Sycamore fatality at Rhino was not hub bar failure, the rotor was found a short distance away, intact. Appears to have been incorrectly
fitted.

To each his own, some of us drive BM's others Merc etc. etc. Merc drivers however dont bash BM drivers and vice versa.

Fly safe

Len
emil
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby emil » Mon May 12, 2008 6:38 pm

JetRanger wrote:Dietrich Bonhoeffer:
To understand reality is not the same as to know about outward events. It is to perceive the essential nature of things. The best-informed man is not necessarily the wisest. Indeed there is a danger that precisely in the multiplicity of his knowledge he will lose sight of what is essential. But on the other hand, knowledge of an apparently trivial detail quite often makes it possible to see into the depth of things. And so the wise man will seek to acquire the best possible knowledge about events, but always without becoming dependent upon this knowledge. To recognize the significant in the factual is wisdom.

I do not wish to enter the debate other than to make two points.

1. A gyro is significantly more stable than a helicopter, consider the airodynamics and its obvious.
2. The Sycamore fatality at Rhino was not hub bar failure, the rotor was found a short distance away, intact. Appears to have been incorrectly
fitted.

To each his own, some of us drive BM's others Merc etc. etc. Merc drivers however dont bash BM drivers and vice versa.

Fly safe

Len
hi Len
i can not agree more.
i purely spoke about personal expiernce and opinion.
i never said a heli is easier to fly or more stable then i gyro..i ..i got the feel for it..as for the gyro..some thing jyst never felt right.
again ..
personal expiernce and opinion
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Mon May 12, 2008 7:05 pm

Men alwayl sit around a table with a few beers and before you know they are either talking cars, politics or religion BUT at airfiels and on ML forum it will mostly be the different opinions on various aircraft.

Now me I prefer the fixed wing type and maybe one day I will do my chopper rating if the funds allow it.

So again me not one for Gyro's it';s personal.
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Mon May 12, 2008 7:54 pm

True Agent, except the guys I know talk about Aviation, Sex, Politics, Sex, Religion, Sex, Cars, Sex and Aviation again! :roll: vhpy

To each his own, I preferred rotorwings and got a HPPL 18 years ago. Heli's just became too expensive to justify and Gyro's are an affordable alternative.

I can do everything in my Gyro that I could in a Robbie R22 at altitude and a Gyro is safer. I agree with Glenn that a Gyro is the safest aircraft for several reasons.

Fixed wing again does nothing for me. except to get from A to B as quickly as possible, so it is personal, you're right.

Rgds
zu ebl
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby zu ebl » Mon May 12, 2008 9:41 pm

Hi All,
I've been in a Gyro incident 2 weeks ago,and I've got the priviledge to be able to talk about it today.
After the Gyro ended on its side, I got out and smelled petrol fumes, I saw fuel was running out of the
breather pipes behind the back seat and the enjin, onto the exhaust silencer, this could've caused a big fire.
Maybe we could look at a breather valve or some sort of mechanism to prevent the fuel from running
out in case of a accident / incident.
Advice to all pilots, whenever you get into a emergency, JUST FLY THE PLANE, keep calm and FLY THE
PLANE!!!!
If I've just done that, then tonight I would've been on Roelf's Namibia trip :(> :(>

Groetnis
Willie
Ela 08 Gyro
ZU RWS (ex ZU EBL)
only THOSE who do NOTHING make no MISTAKE !
crashtestdummy
Pre flight checks done

Postby crashtestdummy » Wed May 21, 2008 7:55 pm

I would like to make the suggetion that the reason for the fires or burning of gyros is due to the electrical system shorting this short has a high enough temperature to ignite a cloud of fuel ? As we all know a sigarette does not ignite petrol .Would it not be a thing to isolate the battery in the event of an immenent accident (if Possible maybe some type of g switch)
4 solo flights builds character
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Wed May 21, 2008 8:22 pm

I once owned a Lotus that had an 'inertia' switch of some sort... if the car tilted through a certain angle or took a sudden impact it would cut all the electrics and of course the fuel pumps. It triggered once after hitting a hard bump and the car died. Lotus informed me that it was a safety feature in the event of a roll-over or accident. This was 20 years ago so I am sure the technology has advanced and is a good idea... although it must be impossible to trigger in flight or you will have serious problems.
crashtestdummy
Pre flight checks done

Postby crashtestdummy » Wed May 21, 2008 8:49 pm

Jet Ranger

My other fantacy is electric cars and they have these inertia switch capable of disconnection your cars batteries in case of an accident I will relook at it and give my 5 cents worth
4 solo flights builds character
Ballistic
Signed up at flight school

Postby Ballistic » Thu May 22, 2008 11:47 am

Hi Willie
Missed u on the trip posted some pics for u
Hope ur gyro gets fixed quickly
Fuel in hangar, runway behind u and alt above u doesn’t help