ELA rotor inspection

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

gyrofan
First solo

ELA rotor inspection

Postby gyrofan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:05 pm

A friend of mine is very interested to buy a gyro and we both sort of like the ELA. He heard a story that the rotor of the ELA must be stripped and inspected for cracks every 300 hours, who knows anything about it?? How long will such a action typically take and what will it cost. He is concerned about the effect it will have on the actual running cost of the machine???
Any comments from the informed??
Yoda
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Yoda » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:54 am

Hello Gyrofan.
The rotorhead of any gyro must be inspected every time as a preflight check.
On the Ela there are 2 bearings that needs replacement at around 300 hrs, but the newer 08 has got a greasable rotorhead so I'm sure the intervals will be longer. The cost of it is not a factor at all. And it is not a big operation at all.
I flew an Ela 07 for well over 400 hrs. Its a lovely machine. Nothing wrong with it.
The best person to talk to would be the Ela agent Anthony Cohen.
Rgds
PS. The Rotor head is not supposed to crack... ever.
Coyote
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Coyote » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:21 am

All gyros should be inspected at 300 hrs for rotor head wear. Bare in mind that 300 hrs will probably take the average active pilot 3-4 years to fly.
Coyote
Life looks better from 2000 ft
gyrofan
First solo

Rotor inspection

Postby gyrofan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:38 pm

Thanks guys, I understand what you say about inspecting before every flight and inspecting the rotor head at 300 h and even the change of bearings every so often. What my question is about is that I was told that it is a major job to completely strip the rotor blades form a ELA or MT03 to have the hub bar x-rayed for cracks. The problem is then to have the rotor system balanced again...soem say it will never be the same again and others say it will take many hours.
Apparently the rotor system as used on the Magni does not need x-ray inspection at 300 hour intervals and as such it is also not stripped all the way down to the individual blades every 300 hours...Can anybody please explain a bit more.
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

re

Postby t-bird » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:52 am

Hi Gyrofan

I have removed the rotor on my ELA 08. Takes about ½ hour. I have also removed the blades on the magni it will take you more or less the same time.
Anthony will balance, grease ,assemble and test fly it for +- R 1000.00.
Don’t know about the cost of the x-ray.

Regarding the balancing – I assume that you mean the lead and lag of the rotor blades
You can remove the blades from the rotorhead and assemble them in the same why if you loosen the correct bolts.

If not, all the Ela rotor and hubs gets assembled here and the lead and lag is adjusted.
You can’t adjust the lead and lag on a magni and if this goes out you have to replace some major items.

My rotor head was removed at 79 hours to transport my Gyro from Still baai to Midrand. Rotors were assembled by Anthony and test flown. Gyro have 140 hours on hobs and defiantly less rotor vibration than the competition.

To change the teeter bolt bearing is also not very expensive or a big issue.
You would have to change it on a magni if the inspection indicates it.
If you operate in a dusty environment you would have to change these bearing more often than in other environments.

The Magni have a grease nipple on the top of the rotorhead.
This supplies lubricant to the teeterbolt and bearing.
If you don’t grease this item at the correct intervals you will end up replacing a teeterbolt and bearings before 300 hours.
gyrosa
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

ELA rotor Inspection

Postby gyrosa » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi T-Bird
I,ve read your text regarding the Magni rotor settings regarding tracking etc. Here is an a piece from the Magni Owners Manual:-

"Due to exacting CNC tolerances in the rotor head, and fabrication and matching of each blade, blade tracking or string adjustment provisions are not required or provided. Robust blade attachment provisions at the hub preclude possibility of misalignment in string or tracking during repeated re-assembly".

This also means that once the aircraft leaves the factory, the blades are set correctly, as they cannot be string aligned (a practice over 40 years old and rather outdated). It also means that should the manufacturer's instruction be followed, these blades can be assembled and disassembled any number of times without the tracking or balance being affected.

Re the teeter bearing grease you mentioned, a spot of grease is suggested at every 100 hrs. If this is done, the teeter bearings can last up to 750 hrs (proven). However the teeter bolt need NOT be replaced with every teeter bearing replacement as you suggested. The bolt moves freely within two bushes situated within the teeter bearings and as such will not be harmed in the event of damage or wear to the bearings.

Regarding crack testing, this is only required on the Magni in the event of blade damage when the blade has struck the ground. If the blade has not been badly damaged and is repairable, crack testing on any rotor system is adviseable.
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

re

Postby t-bird » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:44 am

Hi Gyrosa

You have to replace your rotor and teeter bearings at 500 hours. Safety critical component

AN 0006/2001/04/05
MAGNI M-16 AIRFRAME MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE

ROTOR TEETER BEARINGS - SERVICE/REPLACE IF NECESSARY EVERY 100 HOURS AND REPLACE AFTER 5YEARS/500 HOURS

ROTOR MAIN BEARINGS – REPLACE AFTER 5 YEARS/500 HOURS

The Manuel does not state that you have to replace the Teeter bolt with the bearings. I will personally replace the bolt if the bearings are damage.

The MT03 have a digital thermometer on the rotor hub. It is possible to know when you start to have bearing problems.

I would not say that lead and lag adjustments are outdated. It is used in a lot of gyro’s and helicopters.

RAFSA use sophisticated machinery to adjust and balance the rotors.
Last edited by t-bird on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROTORNUTT
Heard about flying

ELA rotor inspection

Postby ROTORNUTT » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:51 pm

Hi to all gyronauts,

As the agent of Magni Gyro I appeal to all gyro enthusiasts to contact the respective agents, dealers or manufacturers for information regarding the maintenance of their gyros and prices of spare parts.
These are the best people to consult to obtain the correct information.

Butch Brown
MAGNI GYRO S.A.
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

re

Postby t-bird » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:20 pm

Welcome Butch

Please feel free to correct me where I was wrong. You can add a lot to this forum.

My intention is not to damage any of the Gyro products.

Regards

Callie (jnr)
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

re

Postby t-bird » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:38 pm

Per Gyrofan “He is concerned about the effect it will have on the actual running cost of the machine???”

I had a chat to Anthony – The ELA agent in SA

At 300 hours, they will take the rotor head apart change the main bearings inspect it for cracks assemble and test fly it within a day.
Cost would be less than 1 % of the gyro’s cost.

Not bad if you compare it with tyres for a new car which is in the region of 5 % of the cost of the new car.

Please tell your friend to contact Anthony and arrange for a test flight at fly inn.