The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Re: re

Postby Rudix » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:53 pm

t-bird wrote:Hi Rudix

Bronkhorstspruit dam is not a built up area – You can fly as low as you want to fly.
There is no Notam out of paragliders that is towed on the dam.
The Gyro was flying while the boats were on the dam – so no noise problem; he was not doing beatups at 05h00 in the morning.

I will support the Red Gyro – why do boats and paragliders have preferential treatment at the dam.

Please look at the topic posted in accidents and incidents
viewtopic.php?t=4315&start=0

Bronkhorstspruit is not a build up area on any map including jepperson and easyplan
I have contacted easy plan and they have confirmed no nature reserve or build up area.
You are allowed to fly lower than 500 feet if you are not a nuisance or on final approach or take off.

Please explain what the problem is with flying over the dam low level.
What authority does the marshalls have over an aircraft?
Does anyone of them have a PPL/GPL/MPL?
Why does the paraglider operators not have radios if they are afraid of the Gyros?
Hmmmm.....

Why not fly low ? A few reasons, firstly:

We have been asked not to repeatedly, if we persist we WILL be banned from over flying the dam at all ! Yes, there has been complaints and the last I heard was that the min height should be 500' (This is outside the nature reserve part).

Secondly, a part of the dam and the shore is a nature reserve, and as you should know we are not allowed to fly low over a nature reserve ! I see you say Easyplan said it is not a nature reserve ? It won't be the first thing they got wrong :evil: I have seen maps, non aviation, that says it is !

Check here: http://www.sabirding.co.za/birdspot/050419.asp

If you do a Google search you will get PLENTY references to the nature reserve.

Thirdly, it is not only the low flying, it is the DANGEROUS flying, and yes, I have seen it myself on 2 occasions, diving down on people/boats IS NOT ON !!!!

You say the paragliders should use radios ? Well, even if they did it would not help with this guy, I have called him many times and he did not reply, plus, he never makes any position calls, not even when he "plays" around in the circuit at Rhino :evil: Yes, crossing in front of traffic in the circuit, flying low over the non-active runway crossing the active one at right angles ? All this tells me that here we have a pilot who should not be a pilot !

Anyway, it is out of our hands now, we will see what the CAA has to say about it.

I agree with you on the noise point, why should boats be allowed to make noise and planes not ? But that is not the problem in this case.

Fly safe,
Rudi
Last edited by Rudix on Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:19 pm

Latest I heard was that min height over nature reserve/parks etc is 1500'.

Min height over langebaan is 1500' as of this.

Can't comment on this issue, but if you start irretating people, you have overstayed your welcome.

Regards,
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:39 pm

t-bird.....

I just had a look at EasyPlan and like you say they don't mention a nature reserve at Bronkhorstspruit dam, but then again they don't show Rietvlei as one either so I would not take them as "definitive" :D
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)