SAGPA - defunct???

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

re

Postby t-bird » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:15 am

Trixie phoned me on Saturday morning for my physical work address.

African Skies magazine was delivered to my office today.

Thanks Trixie

Regards

Callie
Condor
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Postby Condor » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:07 pm

Please allow me to add my 2c.

SAGPA commitee is run by volunteers, trying to earn a living at the same time.

At the AGM the lack of people comming forward to help meant that certain memebers ended up with more thatn one responsibility.

If there is a real need to select a new commitee, call a special meeting and dsicuss the issue.

Otherwise join the commitee and blow some life into the orginisation.

I do agree that we can have more Gyro events during the year, but someone has to orginise this.

Like: I mentioned having a Gyro Fly-in at Kitty hawk to members of the Kitty Hawk Flying Club. They welcommed this and are more than willing to help.
Auto-Gyro Calidus ZU-RRG
Tinkerbell
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:56 am

Well, maybe we could get more active if we had an idea of when/where get togethers (AGM) were going to be held.... Even after updating my contact info, I have still not received a single communication from SAGPA. The only reason why I received my 2 mags was because I subscribed as an individual too and not only through SAGPA. I think everyone is tired of this old song and my last comment is that I will definitely not renew my membership next year.
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Learjet » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:25 am

Looks like the SAGPA website has also gone belly up over the last few days? :roll:

DB function failed with error number 1146
Table 'sagpa_mamb1.jos_session' doesn't exist SQL=SELECT session_id FROM jos_session WHERE session_id = 'fbac30671477777731bd7fd594b8651f'
SQL =
SELECT session_id
FROM jos_session
WHERE session_id = 'fbac30671477777731bd7fd594b8651f'
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:48 pm

Learjet wrote:Looks like the SAGPA website has also gone belly up over the last few days? :roll:

DB function failed with error number 1146
Table 'sagpa_mamb1.jos_session' doesn't exist SQL=SELECT session_id FROM jos_session WHERE session_id = 'fbac30671477777731bd7fd594b8651f'
SQL =
SELECT session_id
FROM jos_session
WHERE session_id = 'fbac30671477777731bd7fd594b8651f'
Not to mention some "interesting" table naming conventions...
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Learjet » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:59 pm

Dear Johan,

Please allow me to express my further disappointment that you, as SAGPA Chairman, have felt it unecessary to respond to any of the issues and queries raised in my email sent to you in August this year.

Added to this is the fact that in the 3 months since the SAGPA AGM it would appear that you have failed to furnish any members with copies of the minutes or financial reports from the AGM?

Please could you kindly do so.

regards,
Dave Lehr

CC: Microlighters Forum

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 28 August 2007 09:31 AM
To: 'info@sagpa.co.za'
Subject: IS SAGPA MEMBERSHIP WORTHWHILE?

Dear Johan,

Being a new gryoplane pilot, and perhaps having been under the incorrect impression of what SAGPA is all about, please allow me to express my disappointing experience with this organisation to date.

Having joined in February this year, I have yet to receive a single issue of the so-called "Microflight Africa" magazine - does it really exist? Of course the SAGPA peak cap and flightsuit badge never materialised either.

The conveyance of information pertaining to gyro's and GPL's from both the Aero Club and SAGPA has been threadbare to say the least - this both in terms of SAGPA website content (little more than an updated airshow and fly-in calendar). Despite numerous previous requests to your office for the "log-in" access, I was eventually informed that this is no longer required and that the website is "open". Why is it then that the Aero Club minutes section under "membership" still requires authorised access? Is it not somewhat strange that SAGPA members learn more about the recent SAGPA AGM on Microlight forums than via their own organisation?

Other than the 3rd party legal Liability offered by SAGPA (hardly worthwhile if one adds the utterly value-less R590 for the magazine and Aero Club membership), there seems pitifully little reason to remain a member?

Am I wrong?

Sincerely,
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Learjet » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:33 pm

Update:

I received a response from Johan today, wherein he sought to address some of my concerns. For this I thank him. :)
Whilst I appreciate that committe members serve voluntarily, this in itself does not exonerate their accountability as office bearers. So, some of my concerns remain - specifically the lack communcation to members in general - and specifically regarding the African Skies magazine situation and what SAGPA's offical response / actions are ito the looming NTCA issues. :cry:
So too, the lack of financial & regional reports or minutes from the (2 hour :? ) AGM and what (if anything) has been done / achieved by SAGPA in the last 12 months in terms of addressing the organisations stated aims and objectives as laid out in the SAGPA constitution. :?

Perhaps we members need to decide if SAGPA going to remain a "social club" or instead hold it accountable as an officially recognised body representing the collective interests of it's members as per its own constituted mandate?

I guess I've said my piece so time to hop off my soapbox now. Hopefully my voice of dissent will be interpreted as a voice of concern and SAGPA will get its act together!

Dave (over and out on this topic!) :wink:
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Learjet » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:54 pm

*UPDATE*

I had a phone call from Johan this morning and we had a frank and very constructive discussion about some of the issues I've been trying to have addressed:

1. SAGPA is alive and well - albeit that member communication could be improved. In fairness though - this works both ways and info & pic contributions from us will go a long way to getting some life back in the website.
As far as other communication to members in general, I've asked Johan to understand that gyro pilots "out of the Gauteng loop" often don't get the hear the "hangar-talk" regarding issues that SAGPA may be involved with. I've offered to help Johan in this regard, and I will play my part in helping circulate any news and info pertaining to gyro pilots in and around our little Cape colony!

2. African Skies magazine - Johan assures me that this saga will be addressed.

3. NTCA issues - Johan gave me some background to this and the bottom line is that his (and SAGPA's) objective is to keep us flying! I've asked him to please keep us members in the loop with regards to any developments on the NTCA / CAA front.

4. It seems that not all emails are being received Johan's side, however he did say that he is always available on his phone for members to contact him with any queries or issues.

Dave