Any Butterfly gyros in SA?

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

coen
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby coen » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:21 pm

Don't think there are any butterflies out there, if so they wont be flying legaly, since in america if you can make a brick fly they will gladly help.
But in South Africa the rules stated below needs to be met before TYPE CERTIFICATION will be given to such an applicant and before a build no. will be issued, getting anything flying from the good U.S.A will take a dedicated team from the factory in the states and a persistant owner here in S.A.

gyrocopter and as stated in the SA-CATS-NTCA the design loads needs to meet the requirements of BCAR section S and of FAR 27 subpart C. how these loads criteria have been met needs to be shown by flight test, analysis etc.
Coyote
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Coyote » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 am

My 2c worth = I dont think that there is anything wrong with the Subaru. There are 2000 RAFs flying and whatever you may hear - you never hear that the engine is a problem.
Yes the Sycamore is over engineered and I like it !!! the issue of additional weight is overcome quite simply by increasing the lift (bigger rotor). Power to lift is whats important. I dont want to get into an argument of drag but I fly 80 mph cruise no problem. Just about anything will fly if you build it light and put a moerse engine on it.
There is an instructor down in PE who flies and trains with a (RAF) Subaru and loves it and has never had a moments trouble. My aircraft came with a Rotax and I am very happy with it but I would not discount the Subaru yet. Sportcopter in the States are using the Subaru in their new enclosed gyros and these guys really know their story - go check out their website.
Coyote
Life looks better from 2000 ft