The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Xenon Gyro

Postby Gyronaut » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:15 am

grahame wrote:I'm going to start some training flights from FAKT
You have experienced the Gyrocalypse!! (^^)

Marius =D* =D*
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby mak » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:40 am

Grahame

It was my pleasure, just hope you enjoyed it. It is always nice to see visitors change from curious :roll: on arrival to sceptic :? after being explained the functioning of gyros to absolute amazement :o after the first flight.
Hope you won’t miss your big blik lady too much.
Like Len said, you have experienced the Gyrocalypse.

Welcome and enjoy the ride, sorry flight. (^^) (^^)
www.altairaviation.co.za
HOME OF XENON & ZEN GYROCOPTER
FLYNOTE
Flying low - mind the power lines

Postby FLYNOTE » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:57 pm

Good day to ya all and greetings! I have not been able to report back after my Poland visit but here I am finally firmly seated in front of my screen so here goes.
The visit to the factory was a bit of a let down this time round. Last time I flew everyday in rain snow and mist and clocked up many hours in the Polish airspace. This time round my gyro was not completed as we were informed and I only managed to get in 20 minutes flying the entire week. The rest of the time was spent on the steps outside the factory , drinking coffee and waiting , waiting, waiting for them to sort out the trim and the fuel flow and the radio which was still US by the time we left last Friday. Eric Torr will however sort the interference problems out for me once the Xenon is safely in my hangar at atTedderfield.
I had a bit of a tiff with the testpilot/designer/president, as he likes to be known, but hell ; it is a long way to go and a long week to just sit around . I have always said that if I am happy with something I will "rave and praise and endorse" but in a similar vein, if things go wrong I will also make it known in no uncertain terms! But then I suppose personalities do clash and a 'Namakwalander' and a Frenchman are maybe not a good combination in combat if things do not go according to plan.I told him what I thought of him and he told me what he thought of me.Who thought less of the other and and threw most of his toys out of the cot, I'm not sure, but we parted on 'not so good terms' . :evil:
Although this put a damper on my initial excitement , the Gyros were crated and flown out as per schedule and once I have her in my hangar I suppose all will be well that ends well.
Xenon's plus point is that it is a helluva nice gyroplane and Braam is very organised and on top with his service and support.
Fortunately one does not have to deal with the testpilot/designer/president when it comes to aftersales service.The other managing partner at the factory , Artur, is very on the ball and a completely different kettle of fish to our testpilot/designer/president friend.Artur communicates.The testpilot/designer/president blames everyone around him,clients not exempted, for any hickups !
Ok enough of bashing the gent...sorry, testpilot/designer/president (!!)
Danie managed to fly virtually every day with his yellow machine. It was pouring with rain and the mist, potent once again, but this did not pose any problems for the enclosed machine.Die Vrystater se oë was maar blerrie groot na elke vlug because he dissappeared into the mist every now and then and then the instructer would just advise him to drop a few feet so that he could see the ground. So vlieg hulle wragtag nie in Bethlehem nie!
The gyros are in customs at the moment. They left the factory last Saturday and landed at Oliver Tambo on Friday ,6 days later. Now customs want to open the crates and have a little look see at the goodies before releasing them. They should be delivered on Wed. or Thursday.
I should be flying this weekend.
The new versions have a nicety of a rear mounted camera to see behind you on "prop clear" and monitor traffic behind you in the circuit.
They also have longer tailbooms but I did not feel any difference to my previous machine during the 20 odd minutes of flying her.
The built in fuel pump with the on/off switch on the centre console for your long range fuel cell is great.
I could not test the new roll trim and will see how effective it is over the weekend.
My new Xenon is also equipped with electric heated seats. I do not think I will ever use this but it is there if you want it.
The custom colour is fabulous if it is your taste ...
Once up and running I will give a full report on the latest version of the RST Xenon.
Attachments
transporting to field for test flight.jpg
transporting to field for test flight.jpg (93.14 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
fitting rotors.jpg
fitting rotors.jpg (90.53 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
rearview.jpg
rearview.jpg (94.67 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
sideview.jpg
sideview.jpg (93.99 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
after test flight.jpg
after test flight.jpg (92.97 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
pietmeyer
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby pietmeyer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:04 pm

Sulke fotos sal maak dat ek ook sommer n Gyro wil vlieg. Baie geluk en geniet dit. Die kleur is ook baie mooi.
Piet Meyer
Jabi J400 ZU-DUU (Wonderboom)
Jabbanaught
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jabbanaught » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:32 pm

Baie Mooi Johan , Hoop jy kry hom gou in die lug .

Paul
Autogyro - Calidus ZU- ???
Magni M22 - ZU EGA
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:38 pm

It just looks like it off the set of a james bond movie.

Mooi Man... (^^) (^^) (^^) (^^)
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:33 pm

She looks like a BEAUT Flynote, Congratulations ...and the small hiccups will soon be forgotten once you're flying her.

As for the French - I worked for a French company for years and had to keep reminding them that technically, they lost 2 World Wars and if it weren't for the allies, they'd be speaking German now ... TWICE OVER!. Also, until recently, if you googled "French Military Victories" this is what you got. :lol: :lol:
fmv.JPG
fmv.JPG (32.69 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
Hulle ken ons boere sleg, ons is meer arrogant en harregat as hulle. :lol:

Enjoy the machine for the beauty she is! Look forward to seeing it down here soon.
(^^)

Len
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby mak » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:09 pm

Len, heard from a confidential source that this was another French defeat. (**) (**)

Johan, sorry that this trip wasn't enjoyable, but I am sure that once you get the smell of the leather seats, feel that RST kick under your ass at take off and the stable, comfortable flight, all will be forgotten.
I like your colour, a real beauty.

Wishing you many happy, safe and enjoyable flying hours (^^) (^^)
www.altairaviation.co.za
HOME OF XENON & ZEN GYROCOPTER
Condor
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Postby Condor » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:57 pm

Hi Flynote

Pics look great!!!!!!!!!

Trust you will come and show her off at Kitty Hawk on 9 October.
Auto-Gyro Calidus ZU-RRG
FLYNOTE

Postby FLYNOTE » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:53 pm

The sun was setting and I was anxiously awaiting the arrival/delivery of ZU RGB to my Tedderfield hangar.Dusk settled in and I was still waiting. Celliers Burger was in the hangar with me drooling over his new baby (ZU RDV).We had a few coke lights, then coffee and as darkness settled in and still no truck carrying the anxiously awaited upon crated Xenon we decided "what the hell" and opened a 'rooie'.20h00 came and went.21h00 came and went. The rooie was seeing it's gat.At 10h00 I managed to get the truck driver on his cell; " What do you mean you are at Parys? Thats bloody miles from Tedderfield !! Eish .." Into the bakkie I leap and shoot off to the Grasmere tollgate to meet and direct my best friend at that particular stage of the entire Xenon experience...the truckdriver who has to deliver my Xenon to my hangar!
Arriving back at the hangar being trailed by my truckdriver friend ,I find Celliers still patiently waiting to assist in the offloading and somehow he had made himself very comfortable in my absence and discovered another rooie just screaming to be opened for the celebratory exercise. (^^)
Celliers is a big ou and we would have been a formiddable team to take on anyone who dared to drop that new Xenon from the truck but my new found favourite friend, the truck driver, did his lift and delivery work neatly and efficiently and by 10h36 the crate was safely deposited in my hangar.
Now imagine this; Its too late and you are too tired to open the crate . So you lock up and go home dreaming of what you are going to find inside the newly delivered crate in your hangar the next morning.Not an easy exercise. Only the blase can succeed in not overnighting in the hangar... but I was back at 06h00 the next morning with electric screwdriver and crowbar!
Everything was there. All in place. She is beautiful . I just loved unpacking and assembling and by 16h00 my Xenon was rearing to go.
Eric 'Altius et Latius' did a super job fitting the mast,tailbooms,rotorhead, prerotator etc.etc. Johan 'Modling' Von Ludwig then arrived with his team and fine tuned and set up and started and test flew and got out and handed RGB over to me.
I have done 10 hrs this week and is she flying lekka? Unfortunately not... she is flying FANTASTICALLY vhpy vhpy vhpy
With the longer tailbooms you can do a 60deg. turn with feet off the rudders and she just sits ! All the extra niceties are well worth it.
I am flying down to Upington on Wednesday to keep Celliers company and should put 20 odd hours on, there and back. Watch this space for a comprehensive report upon my return.
My US radio was sorted by Mike Blyth's radio fundi.We made up an entire new harness. No joy. We rewired with shielded wire. No joy.We rerouted and eventually replaced the antenna cable.No joy.We shortened the antenna by a few inches. JOY! 5 out of 5 transmission and reception.So now all is in place and the magic ride begins !! Viva Xenon ! Dis n moerse lekker êrie hierdie. xxx
Attachments
unloading the crate.jpg
unloading the crate.jpg (91.31 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
first glimps.jpg
first glimps.jpg (98.71 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
Almost there.jpg
Almost there.jpg (97.89 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
All done.jpg
All done.jpg (93.45 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
FLYNOTE

Postby FLYNOTE » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:15 am

I have tried to keep to an old rule I made for myself when I got my PPL 21 years ago. "When in doubt , cut it out."
The weather looks doubtful next week. There are Thunderstorms predicted from Kimberley, Klerksdorp to Gauteng from Monday onwards. By Wednessday "violent thunderers" are forecast.
I will fly with Celliers and Johan von Ludwig from Tedderfield halfway to Upington but then turn tail and return to my homebase so that I can be certain to fly again another day.
When I still flew the blikkies for my business I had to get to certain places at certain times and sometimes it was not a pleasure at all :shock: Sometimes I was in doubt but could not always "cut it out" Just maybe it will be ok ? Then again, just maybe not? The Baron could run ( block 196kts ) and one could plan 'short term'. The gyros are not so quick and chances of sitting in the muck for an uncomfortably extended period of time is not good for the "joie de vivre"

With my Xenon I fly when I want to fly and when I know that I am going to enjoy the flight. I do not fly because I have to !
Landing up in the vicinity of a CB is not fun in anyone's book. I am in doubt of the weather next week , so ... I am cutting it out. For sure I am missing out big time on a lekker kuier with some old buddies and new friends but... Next time ...! vhpy
You cannot always steer clear of any suggestion of bad weather but one can make a calculated assesment.
Eggbeater
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Eggbeater » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:58 am

Hi Flynote

I think this is a very good post and one which we can learn from. If there is doubt then assess the risks properly and, if the doubt persists, don't fly.
Magni M-24
ZU-RFR
Pieter Smith

Postby Pieter Smith » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:11 am

[quote="FLYNOTE"]I have tried to keep to an old rule I made for myself when I got my PPL 21 years ago. "When in doubt , cut it out."

With my Xenon I fly when I want to fly and when I know that I am going to enjoy the flight. I do not fly because I have to !

Baie wyse woorde Flynote! Dis presies wat ek ook doen, en ek geniet elke vlug "big time"! Baie kan leer hierby.
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:38 pm

Good call Johan.

2 Weekends ago Jonathan and I flew to Meltonwold to meet Eric for the old boys reunion, then on Sunday I flew to PE for a wedding. On monday morning the forecast was bad and it was raining in places along the coast. Cloud base was 800ft. Forecast for the rest of the week was lousy. I elected to leave my M24 there and go fetch it when the weather cleared.

Forecast for this last Saturday was good so I flew up with SAA in the morning, hopped into the Gyro and flew back to Cape Town in the most perfect weather and light tailwind you could ever hope for. Was home by 5 that afternoon - in time for a housewarming party. All in all a great experience that cost me all of R200 and some voyager miles!

I agree, if there is doubt, there is NO doubt - Don't!
(^^)
BONZAI BELL
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby BONZAI BELL » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:24 pm

In afrikaans se ons : the sooner wena hesitate , the better wena los dit uit!!
ZU-EOL
Magni M-22