The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

FLYNOTE
Flying low - mind the power lines

Re: Xenon Gyro

Postby FLYNOTE » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:15 am

Smaakit kwaai Bonzai Bell ! :lol:
Jip , off we took at 06h00 from Tedderfield for Parys. Vic in his M24, which we saw on take off ( he took off last ) and after that just a vapor trail as he 'maak'ed gat skoon' for FAPY.
Now here's the thing; He was solo with 80 lts in the tank and only a 25lts can as passenger for a top up at Anton Fourie's farm on the way to Jan Kempdorp. :roll:
Xenon RDV had 60 lts in the tank with 'Modling' von Ludwig and Cilliers Burger 'filling up' the pilot and co-pilot seats. Cilliers at 105kg, kaalgat , which thankfully he was not when he firmly planted himself on the left side in the pilot seat of the Xenon and 'Modling' von Ludwig at a " man, ek weeg seker so tussen 85 en 95" in the right hand seat.
Xenon RGB had me weiging in at my usual 108 kg in the pilot seat , 80 lts in the tank and my aux fuel cell on the pax seat ,containing a further 60 lts of the fluid that keeps a smile on your face when you are unexpectedly confronted by a serious headwind over a loooong distance.
And then to add further insult to injury; a 20 lts can of 95 unleaded on the floor where the feet of the pax would normally be. This was neccessary to top up RDV at Parys in order to give them enough juice to reach the next refuelling stop.
MAUW all around and a comfortable climb at 500 fpm on take off. Cruise Rpm 5300 , man press 38 and wait for it ... wait for it ... Len luister jy ??? Ready for this ??? 110 staute miles per hour ^ ( ok ... groundspeed.. :wink: ) Airspeed on cruise is between 75 and 85. Push a little and you can sit at 90 but push a little more and you find yourself patting the aux fuel cell next to you all the time as it becomes your best buddy!
Vic and I turned back at Anton Fourie's farm after warm greetings and fuel was exchanged amongst all of us . Cilliers and 'Modling von Ludwig' hit the Northern Cape skies , straight into the teeth of a mean Westerly all the way to Upinton. Hy bring die reën, daai dêng uit die Weste !!
Ebie Mocke came on the cell phone as they landed in Upinton with 15 lts to spare in the tank."Die wind waai lat hy bars hier ... 28 knope !" Vuurdoop Cilliers... vuurdoop!
According to 'Modling' von Ludwig ,they made a bee line for any dust devil along the way in order to grab any form of lift presented to them in that mid thirties Northern Cape atmosphere. In the mean time the wind howled and it was "rock and roll" all the way.
You guys must start respecting Ebie Mocke and his operation down there big time, because these are the Summer conditions in which the boytjies over there operate with their machines!! (^^) Nie vir sissies nie (!!)
Cilliers and 'Modling' von Ludwig hopped out the Xenon cabin. Found that they did not even need to stretch their legs after the trip from Tedderfield to Upinton ... and I believe they did a few more circuits and landings as part of Cilliers' conversion before retireing to their hotel !
Today they fly to Cape Town and so far the Xenon is living up to it's reputation of ensuring a safe, reliable,comfortable, enclosed , side by side experience, even over long range and in trying conditions to pilot and pax.
Now the North /South gyro fly-in is priority ! ## Stand by !!
FLYNOTE

Postby FLYNOTE » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:27 am

Jaaaa swaer ... :x If I flew back from Upington today as the plan was ... there would not have been violent thunderstorms as predicted... there would not have been gusty conditions of up to 35kph winds ... there would not have been rain ... there would have been sunny conditions all the way from Upington to Postmasburg to Jan Kempdorp to Parys to Tedderfield ... AND a 20 kph tail wind out of the S/W all the way. What a cop out !! :cry:
So now how far in advance do you plan your trips? Yes the atmosphere is unsettled at this time of the year with the seasonal changes in weather patterns but, hell boet ... From the worst conditions imaginable forecast a week ago to the completely opposite scenario on d day... I could have; would have had a lekke weekend camping on Goerapan in the Kalahari and the most fabulous flight back today .
Ok , so you win a few and you lose a few.
RDV is now in Cape Town and the RST engine is sooooooo excited at showing off her muscle at sea level.
Glad you had a great trip down Cilliers and all the best with your Xenon. Dont you want to write us a report on the experience ? Maybe Modling Von Ludwig can write a technical on the turbo controler for the forum? Jou Vrystaat Engels is mos aanvaarbaar!
RDV is a lovely bird, Cilliers, and if you enjoy her half as much as I did , you are in for some fantastic enclosed, side by side gyro flying and you are sure to be the 'belle at the ball' down in the fairest Cape for a long time to come.
Attachments
eerste 'weg van die huis'.jpg
eerste 'weg van die huis'.jpg (99.29 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
Goodbye RDV near Jan Kempdorp.jpg
Goodbye RDV near Jan Kempdorp.jpg (99.34 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
Last edited by FLYNOTE on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
FLYNOTE

Postby FLYNOTE » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:36 am

I wonder how many of you saw the Rapport yesterday? They had a huge debate about toll fees and heavy traffic. They also speculated on possible solutions. And there the Xenon stood proud as a possible solution to the ever growing problem of high toll fees and congested traffic between say JHB and PTA.If someone has to commute from PTA North to say Vereeniging every day ...
So away with taxis I say !!!! Put each taxi driver in a Xenon I say ! Eric Torr and Len Klopper can do the training of the new breed of Xenon taxi drivers ## . We can sit back and watch the two of them skip menopause and move directly from middle age to old age within the blink of an eye. :shock: Think of all the new world records that can be set for loading 10 passangers into the cabin of a two seater Xenon. Think of the great excitement created as a 100 or so Xenon taxis take off or decend on a taxi rank at the same time. Think of the new operators manuals whith all the payload pages and information pertaining to weight and balance deleted or simply removed as they serve no purpose. Man this is the way to go !!! Why didn't anyone think of this before ?? (^^)
Attachments
antwoord op tolpad kwessies.jpg
antwoord op tolpad kwessies.jpg (92.82 KiB) Viewed 2716 times
Kalahari
Survived first engine out
Survived first engine out

Postby Kalahari » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:44 am

Hi Johan

I saw the aricle in Rapport yesterday, what I also noted was the comment that one can build such a Gyro for R150K, that sound a bit good to be true, to be honest, I will not dare risk my life in a R150k Gyro, that is less than the price of a timex engine????

Besides that, I envy you for your gyro, I will give up my front teeth for such a baby!
Arrogance and rudeness are the training wheels on the bicycle of life for those who can not keep their balance without it!
FLYNOTE

Postby FLYNOTE » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:55 am

No no ... a "gyro" can be built for around R150K ; not the ones we fly but a basic frame and engine and rotor homebuild ... they did it in Kroonstad. But a Xenon or a Magni or an MT or a Ela ... home built for R150K ???? Please send me 10 kits !!!!!
Also this type of basic gyro is usually a single seater and one must still work out a way to secure your pax and luggage and shopping bags to the rotor otherwise it aint gonna do the job . (**)
Vertical Tango
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Vertical Tango » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:58 am

I had the chance to build a Xenon. With a bit of re-design, change of engine, it should cost less than R150,000 to build one ! Of course, your labour is for free.
Flying is like dancing, it is a love affair between the pilot and his aircraft
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Trikenut » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:42 am

When I was at Fisantekraal (my airfield) yesterday I saw Johan's old Xenon! WOW!!! What a beautiful machine!! (^^) (^^)

I got the oppertunity to sit in it and it is amazingly spacious! I had to remind myself I wasn't in first class with emirates!! vhpy
Trikenut - Pilot in Training!!!
I love the smell of Avgas in the Morning!
"Beware 16 year old here"
THI
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby THI » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:04 pm

Vertical Tango wrote:I had the chance to build a Xenon. With a bit of re-design, change of engine, it should cost less than R150,000 to build one ! Of course, your labour is for free.
A Xenon. Sirriaas? :shock:
Thinus Enslin
Potchefstroom (FAPS)
ZU-CML
Sycamore MK1 - Hilux of the gyros
Would love a RV10 though...
Jabbanaught
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jabbanaught » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:05 am

Trikenut wrote:When I was at Fisantekraal (my airfield) yesterday I saw Johan's old Xenon! WOW!!! What a beautiful machine!! (^^) (^^)

I got the oppertunity to sit in it and it is amazingly spacious! I had to remind myself I wasn't in first class with emirates!! vhpy
Johan , Word of warning , we would have to hide your machine from this 15 year old , He would take pics of it the entire day !!

JOhan can i also get one of those cheap XENONS
Autogyro - Calidus ZU- ???
Magni M22 - ZU EGA
FLYNOTE

Postby FLYNOTE » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:30 pm

I had a last flip yesterday before I depart for Langebaan and i'm afraid the violins will have to be tuned for this post again. Man oh man ... :-(-( :-(-( :-(-( :-(-( :-(-( ^*^^ ^*^^ ^*^^
Now that we have the expertise in SA to do what the Xenon factory somehow refuses to even try... Now we have a state of the art gyroplane . The manual boost control and electric trim which our own boytjies figured out and fitted to the Xenon right here on our own doorstep will have our French designer, test pilot , president , probably adding these features to the new Xenon models as optional exstras! How come our guys perfected these must have improvements before the factory ? Because they can!I now toggle a switch to trim ... No more pulling ropes. I can now take off at 7000ft with full boost and control the man.pres. from inside the cabin as I fly to lower altitudes. Now that punchie little RST engine can deliver what it was designed to deliver at altitudes from sea level up to the highveld and beyond.
I have completed 70 hrs on my new machine without a single hiccup.The longer booms do make a difference and so does the roll trim.
I can really not sing the praises of this machine any more than I already have in the past but with the latest local improvements ... I can only take the old violins out again. The are another two new Xenons landing within the next few weeks. Be on the lookout for a Ferrari yellow and a ...bright orange Xenon which will be joining the present gaggle in our highveld and CapeTown skies. Enjoy !!! (^^)
Attachments
image-573562697.png
image-573562697.png (99.95 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
FLYNOTE

Postby FLYNOTE » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:42 pm

Xenon got the "picture windows" right. No distortion if you take your pics through the side windows or windscreen. ok, goodbye Vaalrivier ... Weskus hier kom ek !
Attachments
image-3635108081.png
image-3635108081.png (84.61 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jean Crous » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:19 pm

Hi Flynote,a while ago you have mentioned to a friend of mine in Montagu, that you may visit the area in your gyro at some stage? This friend is Richard Knipe , he flies a Kitfox 2 from Montagu airfield.Should you have the time to do so , you are wellcome to fly in to our airfield in Barrydale and come see where the Cubby aircraft factory has moved to , we also build/refurbish other makes of aircraft here. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Regards
Jean Crous
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:52 pm

Johan, Take JeanTree up on his offer - Pick a nice day... I have the perfect vehicle for the trip for you...

Imagine cruising that beautiful part of the world in an Italian sports gyro?

http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 70#p818656

The roof doesn't fold down but the doors can be taken off!

!!!!
FLYNOTE

Postby FLYNOTE » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:21 pm

Hou daai Montague appeltert op bystand. I'll be there in 2011. This will form part of my yearly " gyro safari" with my regular gyro buddies and obviously some of the new buddies made during the fash historical event. As far as the Italian sportscar is concerned...many a true word is spoken in gest. Hence my referal to the Rolls Royce of the skies when I pull out the violins in an ode to the Polish luxury sedan.
Now what great pics are those not ? I need to ask again as i have before as i battle to place a decent pic on the forum! Hoe maak julle om sulke verdomde mooi ,goeie kwaliteit foto soos die waarna ek nou gekyk het op die forum te plaas ?Whenever i try , lyk my fotos soos die hond se watse ding. What am i doing wrong? (**)
Flew to Parys for brekkies today although it was decided that that was it yesterday ,before langebaan. Shouldnt have because the wind was howling 90deg. to the runway in anticipation of the storms we had this afternoon. Amper my "daai deng" gesien with a landing that would have made Len's airline pilot student's m24 television debut landing look like swan settling on a tranquil lake.
THI
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby THI » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:45 pm

FLYNOTE wrote:... made Len's airline pilot student's m24 television debut landing look like swan settling on a tranquil lake.
:lol: :lol:
Thinus Enslin
Potchefstroom (FAPS)
ZU-CML
Sycamore MK1 - Hilux of the gyros
Would love a RV10 though...