The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Re: 10 YEAR OLD ROTAX ENGINES

Postby fransstrydom » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:13 pm

Today i am a very happy man
Since CAA waived al their rights to control my engine,i am now tearing out the engine section of my aircraft logbook.This has a lot of implications,i don't even have to service my engine if i dont want to.CAA now has jurisdiction of my airframe only.We are slowly moving in the right direction.
Iam now solely responsible for the condition of my engine.
Francois Strydom
weedy
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby weedy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:05 pm

Now what happens to all this paperwork the AP keeps if/when he goes belly up?

Its all good and well if you have owned the engine since out the box you can make copies of these maintanance papers etc
but what about second hand third hand, the rules changing all the time lots of thing not required when plane/engine bought in 19 footsac.
Claude
fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby fransstrydom » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:48 pm

Important thing here is that ROTAX BRP is now doing the insurance thing.They are fully aware that there are engines with inherent weaknesses.Trying to find a reason to avoid been responsible.They make no attempt to fix the problem.They must have a fair idea of serial numbers involved,these engines should be pulled out of service and retrofitted.The auto industry does it,but aviation has its own rules.BRP will now attempt to lay the blame on the person that did the service's on those engines.Not really an issue at CAA,BUT REMEMBER,the rules and regulations applied by CAA are rules dictated by BRP.They have some serious leverage over CAA.
Francois Strydom
fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby fransstrydom » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:05 pm

ZU-CCN ATF expires 25 sept.Time is running out
SCARY PILOT
greg vos
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby greg vos » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:34 pm

fransstrydom wrote:Today i am a very happy man
Since CAA waived al their rights to control my engine,i am now tearing out the engine section of my aircraft logbook.This has a lot of implications,i don't even have to service my engine if i dont want to.CAA now has jurisdiction of my airframe only.We are slowly moving in the right direction.
Iam now solely responsible for the condition of my engine.
Francois Strydom
Frans what does this mean? have you now deregistered? or are you saying you are simply not going to bother with an ATF? or has CAA given you authorization to approve your own engine service and records and that an AP will issues an ATF based on your assessment of your engine?

I enjoy your spirit but Im thnking we need to abide by the laws? if there is no structure the sky and even the ground will become a risky place with aries flying that could fall hurting innocent people.

Please can you fill in some details on this post? I follow your comments regularly and want to contribute or even engage with RAASA or CAA if I can or could add positive contribution my thinking is we need to stand as a voice and not be wildcards or be seen as cowboys because its this perception that is tarnishing GA from an authorities point of view...i think
PPL (A)
PPL (H)
CFI Gyro & Test Pilot
fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby fransstrydom » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:29 am

Greg
the question here is whether CAA is in a position to issue an ATF for the airframe only.In other words,the ATF is broken up in two parts,one part is the airframe and one part is the engine.This will leave the option for the owner to decide which powerplant he wants to use,a powerplant out of the reach of CAA preferably.That makes CAA NOT RESPONSIBLE to monitor engines in the way that they monitor and control the rotax engines.It should then also be possible for the owner to accept full responsibility for his engine,even if it is a 10 year old engine with the original crankshaft.This whole move from BRP is profit driven,and i believe the new engines are fitted with white metal bearings and the conrods are split.They now want to sell the new shortblocks.
Out of principal i will NOT buy a new shortblock but rather a different powerplant.How is CAA going to handle the ATF for a different engine? I believe that other types of engines are controlled by the manufacturer only and not CAA.
Francois Strydom
greg vos
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby greg vos » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:21 pm

fransstrydom wrote:Greg
the question here is whether CAA is in a position to issue an ATF for the airframe only.In other words,the ATF is broken up in two parts,one part is the airframe and one part is the engine.This will leave the option for the owner to decide which powerplant he wants to use,a powerplant out of the reach of CAA preferably.That makes CAA NOT RESPONSIBLE to monitor engines in the way that they monitor and control the rotax engines.It should then also be possible for the owner to accept full responsibility for his engine,even if it is a 10 year old engine with the original crankshaft.This whole move from BRP is profit driven,and i believe the new engines are fitted with white metal bearings and the conrods are split.They now want to sell the new shortblocks.
Out of principal i will NOT buy a new shortblock but rather a different powerplant.How is CAA going to handle the ATF for a different engine? I believe that other types of engines are controlled by the manufacturer only and not CAA.
Francois Strydom
Im with you ...but its like telling the authorities at road worthy that you will fix a broken light on your vehicle, and that they should issue your annual licence document on your word....? i dont think it will fly ? despite the problems with legislation we cant have enthusiasts with aspirations and no technical knowledge flying overhead potentially compromising innocent people with flying aircraft that are not governed by certain legislation, I do agree that CAA and Rotax and Comet need to advise they cannot blanket condem a motor on its age alone?
PPL (A)
PPL (H)
CFI Gyro & Test Pilot
fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby fransstrydom » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:50 pm

Fully agree.As a law abiding citizen i cannot and will not promote illegal flying,and SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT.
We will have to investigate how to change engine types on other than non Sycamore gyro's.
I will contact Mr.Piet Fourie from CAA and discuss the road ahead to find a safe and legal way to go about this.
Francois Strydom
fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby fransstrydom » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:02 am

Baie dankie Mnr.Piet Fourie.
Attachments
REPLYPFOURIE.jpg
THI
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby THI » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:10 am

Hi Francois, dis scan het nie baie mooi uitgekom nie. Kan jy dit asb weer scan? thx!
Thinus Enslin
Potchefstroom (FAPS)
ZU-CML
Sycamore MK1 - Hilux of the gyros
Would love a RV10 though...
fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby fransstrydom » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:22 am

THI wrote:Hi Francois, dis scan het nie baie mooi uitgekom nie. Kan jy dit asb weer scan? thx!
Thinus,ek weet nie hoe om die e mail direk aan te hak nie.Ek print hom,scan hom en save as n JPEG.Dan moet ek hom compress om klein genoeg te wees.Ek moet n ander plan uitdink.
fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby fransstrydom » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:50 am

THI wrote:Hi Francois, dis scan het nie baie mooi uitgekom nie. Kan jy dit asb weer scan? thx!
Thinus,dit kom daarop neer dat jy n modifikasie goedkeuring van die ingeneurs afdeling van CAA moet kry soos omskryf word in die SA-CATS 44 dokument.
Daar moet n fooi betaal word en alle goedgekeurde modifikasies moet in die logboeke aangebring word en deur n AME,AMO,of AP (subpart 4 of part 66)afgeteken word .
Ek glo dit is alreeds gedoen vir die Sycamore's.