Gyro Safety Stats

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

crazydoc
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Gyro Safety Stats

Postby crazydoc » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:43 pm

I did some very random research to determine how safe gyro,s are. Cannot decide whether i should pay gyro insurance and also trying to convince my insurance company to take levy away from my life insurrance.
Annual (from 2008-2013) fixed wing plus helicopter accidents . Plus minus 100-150 per year of which 10-20 fatal. (10-15%) . Gyro 5-10 accidents per year of which 1-3 fatal. (20%) (HT wires ,structural failure, fly into IMC etc.)
Thus Gyro vs fixed wing /heli 5-6%.
A lot can be read into this and a lot not :lol: :lol:
whirly
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Re: Gyro Safety Stats

Postby whirly » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:18 pm

Sounds like the BMW ad for (quite) a few years ago where they claimed only "x" amount of BMWs stolen every month compared to another brand with twice the number stolen. Sounded good till somebody mentioned that the other brand sold ten times as many every month! :lol:

How many hours flown by fixed wing and helicopter per year and how many by gyros?

Whirly.
crazydoc
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby crazydoc » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:44 am

Hi Whirly, yes you 100% correct. (^^) . I was more interested in gyro stats but threw FW/Heli in just for interrest. And i shouldnt have made the comment bout FW vs Gyro. :oops: :oops: As we all know it is not the aircraft causing most accidents but the clever pilots
micromed
Signed up at flight school

Postby micromed » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:52 am

International statistics weighted to balance variables, excluding commercial flights, gives gyros the safety benefit. The stats I refer to are about 2-3 years old if my memory is correct.