The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

crazydoc
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

pax age limit?

Postby crazydoc » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:44 am

Hi
What is the age limit (lower) ,or considerations re, for young passangers in a gyro(tandem)?. I had a friend who took his child up in his Ella at the age of 3. (4 point harnass.) .
g
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Re: pax age limit?

Postby John.com » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm

crazydoc wrote:Hi
What is the age limit (lower) ,or considerations re, for young passangers in a gyro(tandem)?. I had a friend who took his child up in his Ella at the age of 3. (4 point harnass.) .
g
To my understanding there is not an age limit imposed. However, I would think it would come down to common sense and a sober realisation of the situation that would quickly develop if for any reason the young PAX's harness unclipped or they "wanted mommy" and attempted to get out! ##

'No pulling over to the side of the road to sort out the problem with the kid on the back seat!! :wink:

I'm not sure if I would go any younger than 6, and even then I would carefully understand the child and their possible behaviour under stress. Also, I would want to explore a possible fear of heights, which with some children has never been 'tested'!

Any child also needs to be given an 'easy option' for expressing their fear during the flight, as they may not feel comfortable 'speaking up'. For example, "Pinch me on the neck if you are feeling scared in any way and I will immediately land".

Also, it speaks for itself to stick in the circuit for the first intro flight for any young PAX.

Good Luck! (^^)
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"