Gyro really the ultimate?

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

whirly
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Re: Gyro really the ultimate?

Postby whirly » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:36 pm

Condor wrote:I think a visit to Kitty Hawk is now getting closer by the day.

If you make your plans correctly you can fly Xenon, Calidus, Cavalon and even some open cockpit Magni (just to proof the sensasion of fear of heights does not exist)

Contact us all when you can come and have breakfast...
Condor,

You are on! (but for the open cockpit bit! :(> )

I can then take all of you for a flip in the chopper, all at the same time! :lol:

Whirly.
grahame
Signed up at flight school

Postby grahame » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:32 am

whirly wrote: It would have to be a side by side enclosed machine with a bit of baggage space, so I am looking!
Whirly.
Both space and weight allowance seem to be a problem with current gyros. If you're two up with full fuel, there's not much room left for anything bar the toothbrush. :cry:
Xenon has a bit behind the seats, but its small. I'd love to have a gyro as a means to get to some out-of-the-way camping places on cross-countries, but there's clearly no room for a small pup tent, sleeping bags etc.
crazydoc
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby crazydoc » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:48 pm

hi Whirly
I think side by side (cavalon) also slower than tandem.
whirly

Postby whirly » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:13 am

crazydoc wrote:hi Whirly
I think side by side (cavalon) also slower than tandem.
Thanks, I expect it to be. vhpy

Does anybody know from experience what the Cavalon cruises at with the 914 Turbo? (or is it too early to ask?)

Whirly.
Steve_SP
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Steve_SP » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:57 am

various figures here

http://www.auto-gyro.com/en/Cavalon/

the claim is cruise at 145km/h

Steve
jtresfon
First solo

Postby jtresfon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:58 am

grahame wrote:
Both space and weight allowance seem to be a problem with current gyros. If you're two up with full fuel, there's not much room left for anything bar the toothbrush. :cry:
Xenon has a bit behind the seats, but its small. I'd love to have a gyro as a means to get to some out-of-the-way camping places on cross-countries, but there's clearly no room for a small pup tent, sleeping bags etc.
Graham there is plenty of room for a tent, sleeping bag, mattress, spare fuel, a small toolbox, some food etc... in fact you can carry 100kg of kit... on the back seat! Your wife/partner/significant other can do the same... in her own gyro :)

Rgds
Jean.
weedy
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby weedy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:49 am

+1
Not good to put all your eggs in one basket :oops:
Claude
whirly

Postby whirly » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:37 pm

Steve_SP wrote:various figures here

http://www.auto-gyro.com/en/Cavalon/

the claim is cruise at 145km/h

Steve
That is around 78 knots or 6.5 nm every 5 minutes. vhpy

Whirly.
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:09 pm

Don't forget to look at the RAF 2000 built in Upington, can load 300kg and lots off power.
Flying feeds the soul!
Yoda

Postby Yoda » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:51 pm

Whirly, the websites tend to be on the optimistic side with regards to speed.... Now I don't have any experience on gyros other than Magni and Ela, but logic tells me the cavalon cannot really be much faster than the standard open cockpit gyros. Maybe they did figure out something to reduce the drag a bit, to get it faster, but it cant be much.....
When you think gyros, think Hughes 300, only they are even slower than a 300. I would say the sweet spot of my 2013 model carbon fiber Magni m16 is around 80-85 mph at my altitude of 5000ft. When pushing it I can get to 100, but I don't like the "feel" of it. Engine revs are high... above 5000 RPM and I assume fuel consumption will also go up by quite a bit....
This gyro is very lightly specced and I believe the enclosed tandems might be a bit heavier.... Add to all this a 90 kg pax and a full tank of fuel and out the door goes the performance....
I don't mean to turn you away from gyros, this giving you the facts as you are thinking with a "chopper"mind. Just get yourself in a gyro... you will enjoy it so much, the speed wont bother you.... vhpy
whirly

Postby whirly » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:47 pm

weedy wrote:+1
Not good to put all your eggs in one basket :oops:
So your wife keeps yours in her handbag too! :twisted: :lol:

Whirly.
whirly

Postby whirly » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:50 pm

Yoda wrote:Whirly, the websites tend to be on the optimistic side with regards to speed.... Now I don't have any experience on gyros other than Magni and Ela, but logic tells me the cavalon cannot really be much faster than the standard open cockpit gyros. Maybe they did figure out something to reduce the drag a bit, to get it faster, but it cant be much.....
When you think gyros, think Hughes 300, only they are even slower than a 300. I would say the sweet spot of my 2013 model carbon fiber Magni m16 is around 80-85 mph at my altitude of 5000ft. When pushing it I can get to 100, but I don't like the "feel" of it. Engine revs are high... above 5000 RPM and I assume fuel consumption will also go up by quite a bit....
This gyro is very lightly specced and I believe the enclosed tandems might be a bit heavier.... Add to all this a 90 kg pax and a full tank of fuel and out the door goes the performance....
I don't mean to turn you away from gyros, this giving you the facts as you are thinking with a "chopper"mind. Just get yourself in a gyro... you will enjoy it so much, the speed wont bother you.... vhpy
Yoda,

Thank you! I had a Hughes 300C and know all about slow! vhpy

We will just have to plan more stops then and forget about getting there soon! Most flights will be local with only the odd longer trips.

Whirly.
crazydoc
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby crazydoc » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:34 pm

Spoke to a new cavalon owner this am. Comfortable cruise speed 70-75 mph. He also little bit frustrated by "new model - few new design twitches that needs to be sorted" .Still looks pretty nice to me
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:10 am

JvTonder wrote:Don't forget to look at the RAF 2000 built in Upington, can load 300kg and lots off power.
For completeness
http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cf ... 003-10.pdf
This gives it a VNE of 70 and no doors.
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:23 pm

Gyronaut wrote:
JvTonder wrote:Don't forget to look at the RAF 2000 built in Upington, can load 300kg and lots off power.
For completeness
http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cf ... 003-10.pdf
This gives it a VNE of 70 and no doors.
Interesting thanks, but visit the factory and speak to Oom Eben Mocke and get his opinion, very illuminating. VNE is definitely not 70mph and doors can be on or off, depends on your choice.
Flying feeds the soul!