Tandem vs Side by Side; Perfect vs Ideal.

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Tandem vs Side by Side; Perfect vs Ideal.

Postby mak » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:58 pm

Gyronaut

I suppose we will have to discuss / sort this one out over a bottle or bottles of red.
Gyronaut wrote:As for the moment arm discussion, how about we walk a tightrope together, two poles weigh the same - you have a short pole and I have a long one?
How about you hold your long pole in the centre and I push your pole from the side and try and swivel you around while you try and resist and you can do the same with me with my short pole and then we see whose pole's tip moved the least. I suggest we try this after a couple of reds.

Hangarguy, I think you are going to get a lot of agents in big trouble, your prices are way off. ## ##
www.altairaviation.co.za
HOME OF XENON & ZEN GYROCOPTER
FLYNOTE
Flying low - mind the power lines

Postby FLYNOTE » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:14 am

Re the discussion between Mak and Len re the lengths of their poles and the feats they would like to perform utilising their respective poles...are we still talking gyros? (**) :lol:
Agree with Mak re prices. Not close.
Thanks Len, yes I remember your detailed explaination now. Will read again and would like to suggest we all take note with the hot , humid and high days approaching fast. ##
Now back to Mak and Len's poles that they are swinigng around and the comparison in respective lengths... May I join the two of you for that rooie because this I must see :lol:
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:00 am

Bwahaha Johan, I am happy with the length of my pole thanks. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Looking forward to that lekker Rooie with you guys soon.

Len
whirly
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby whirly » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:05 am

Thanks Len for the feedback, burst another bubble for me though! :roll: vhpy

Because of our winters I am not keen on any open cockpit machine. I then presume it would not be a problem teaching me in an enclosed cockpit one, as long as it is side by side?

Come on FLYNOTE, tell us which one you are looking at!!

Whirly.
THI
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby THI » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:12 am

whirly wrote:Come on FLYNOTE, tell us which one you are looking at!!
FLYNOTE wrote:But now I am moving back to tandem as I fly solo most of the time and I want more speed and manouvreability... And it must be enclosed.
IIRC there are only two tandem enclosed gyro's and somehow I don't think Johan is looking at a Sycamore :wink: :lol:
Thinus Enslin
Potchefstroom (FAPS)
ZU-CML
Sycamore MK1 - Hilux of the gyros
Would love a RV10 though...
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby mak » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:23 am

FLYNOTE wrote:... hot , humid and high days approaching fast. ##l:
So true Flynote. I took someone for a photo shoot to Brakpan the past Sunday and once overhead the MGL showed a density altitude of 9 000 feet :shock: :shock:
www.altairaviation.co.za
HOME OF XENON & ZEN GYROCOPTER
FLYNOTE

Postby FLYNOTE » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:23 am

Jip MAK...and suddenly you wish for a lighter pax, less fuel, a smaller pole and a more powerful engine! The air is like soup and your gyro becomes sluggish. All the H's; Heavy, Height, Hot, Humid = Heaven or hell. (-) :shock:
Whirly... I flew her only once at Kitty Hawk and liked it. Then I flew her twice and thrice in Germany at Hildesheim and loved it. Then I thought fondly of the Xenon that graced my hangar until she moved to her new owner in Potchefstroom. I reflected on the temporary empty space in my Tedderfield hangar and started mulling over side by sides vs tandem. I have mentioned my reasons for wanting to go back to tandem flying. If I had to stick to side by side, I would go for Xenon as mentioned ad nausium. The only enclosed tandems are Sycamore, Calidus and Arrowcopter at this stage. I have never flown the Sycamore or Arrowcopter so I cannot make any comments or form any opinions whatsoever.
Ill show you a pic as soon as I receive one from the factory. They are camera shy, the Germans ! :roll:
Now once again , back to the pole vault competition between MAK and Len relating to size and dexterity of their individual poles . I want to witness this as I would then know for sure that I made the right decision in going for enclosed tandem as opposed to enclosed side by side. If Lens pole is victorious then I am happy that I went with my choice! (^^)
Vertical Tango
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Vertical Tango » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:44 am

I read the word "pole" too often is the latest topics. Flynote, you will have to come to terms with the fact that your Xenon (from Pol...) is gone for ever ! :lol:
You must remove that word from you vocab...
Flying is like dancing, it is a love affair between the pilot and his aircraft
whirly

Postby whirly » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:46 am

Somehow I think we are being lied to! :lol: :lol: ##

I saw that there was a Trixy Aviation G4-2R at Kitty Hawk, painted white on the one side and camo on the other. Built in Germany.

So there are not only the Calidus, Arrow or Sycamore that come with tandem enclosed cockpits.

I take note! vhpy ................................................ek watch jou!! :lol:

Whirly.
Last edited by whirly on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THI
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby THI » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:05 pm

@Flynote - Who is the lucky owner of your Xenon at Potch? I'm looking forward at having a fellow gyro pilot at Potch!
FLYNOTE

Postby FLYNOTE » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:33 pm

Is the Trixy up and flying yet? Johan van Niekerk owns ZU RGB now Thinus. He is a high time blik êrie pilot who has now been converted and reborn . Viva autorotation viva!
Good one JP... vhpy
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Learjet » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:39 pm

FLYNOTE wrote:Is the Trixy up and flying yet?
Up and down you might say... At least 3 gone down this year - 2 with fatalities. :(
Dave Lehr
Magni Gyro M22 ZU-EPZ
“You're flying Buzz! No Woody we're falling in style!”
whirly

Postby whirly » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Learjet wrote:
FLYNOTE wrote:Is the Trixy up and flying yet?
Up and down you might say... At least 3 gone down this year - 2 with fatalities. :(
Pilot error or mechanical/design error? :shock:

Whirly.
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Learjet » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:07 am

whirly wrote:I saw that there was a Trixy Aviation G4-2R at Kitty Hawk, painted white on the one side and camo on the other. Built in Germany.
Austrian company but the Trixy gyros are actually built in Slovenia. :?
Dave Lehr
Magni Gyro M22 ZU-EPZ
“You're flying Buzz! No Woody we're falling in style!”
FLYNOTE

Postby FLYNOTE » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:23 am

And here is my good flying buddy Vic Venter taking ownership of his brand new Cavalon last night. Vic and I started flying gyros together back in 1998/9. We had Magni no 4 and 5 in South Africa when Butch Brown just started his agency. There were one or two VPMs around but the Rotex 914 was the new kid on the block and Magni Gyro was the one in the starting blocks..."on your marks", "getting set" and the rest is history.
Now let me give Theuns Eloff a thumbs up for the handing over ceremony he had organised for Vic. We are all like kids when we order our gyros. Like the fanfare you receive at an auto dealer you sort of enjoy a little pampering, attention and champes when your Gyro arrives! Xenon had their signing and vodka ceremony. Nice one Theuns. You made it very special for Vic .( I drink Meerlust Rubicon. :lol: )
Especially impressive is the set up in the Kitty Hawk Auto Gyro hangar. It is painfully neat. All the gyros neatly lined up and spotlessly clean. The set up screams of professionalism, organisation and the fact that they run a tight shop. You can see a mile away that the Eloffs haven't been in this game since yesterday. So in a few weeks time Vic and I will be gracing the skies on a "show off" trip to Vredendal, Stellenbosch, George, Bloemfontein and back. We will be comparing the Cavalon and the Calidus to add to the discussion above. I will be doing a conversion on Vic's Cavalon and Vic on my Calidus so we can swop gyros every now and then in the interest of comparing. If I decide not to swop after the first leg the discussion re
Tandem vs Side by Side ends right there. :wink:
Attachments
Vic se spiksplinternuwe Cavalon 2.jpg