ZU-CVH crash at FAFK

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

jtresfon
First solo

ZU-CVH crash at FAFK

Postby jtresfon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:09 pm

Ouch! Thankfully looks like no serious injuries to pilot & pax, but poor CVH is going to need some TLC... Not sure why the grass is particularly dangerous for gyro's as opposed to any other aircraft though???

From www.iol.co.za:
ZU-CVH Crash.jpg
ZU-CVH Crash.jpg (47.02 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
Cape Town - A man aboard a gyrocopter suffered minor injuries when it crashed at the Fisantekraal Airfield near Durbanville.

It was not clear by late on Monday whether the pilot or passenger in the aircraft had been injured, but according to witnesses one of the two had injured a hand.

It was also not confirmed whether the crash occurred during the landing or the take-off.

City of Cape Town fire and rescue services spokesman Theo Layne said rescuers were called to the scene with reports that a “mini helicopter crash-landed”.

“But I cannot confirm what happened. When our officers arrived, the aircraft was already on the ground.”

He said rescue teams were alerted at 3.06pm.

Layne said there was no fire to extinguish, but he added that paramedics stabilised the two occupants who were taken to hospital.

At the time of going to press, Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) spokeswoman Phindile Gwebu could only confirm that “an accident had happened” on Monday.

Police were at the scene while investigators were inspecting the wreckage of the yellow aircraft late on Monday afternoon.

It is believed that the occupants were members of the Aerosport flying club based at the airfield.

Some members arrived at the base to find out what had happened.

Hannie van Wyk, whose husband runs the club, said the incident happened very quickly.

“It was an accident and we’re just grateful nobody was seriously injured,” she said.

Johan Badenhorst, who has an aircraft at the base, said the CAA should inspect the grounds - particularly the landing area, where patches of grass were growing thick.

He said that the grass bushes were a problem because they were dangerous, particularly for gyrocopters.

“It was bound to happen,” he said.

He said that the grass interfered with a safe landing.

“This is a training school and we pay rent here where these grounds are supposed to be maintained. This is life threatening,” he said, pointing to the grass.

Regards
Jean.
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: ZU-CVH crash at FAFK

Postby nicow » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:49 pm

Glad the pilot & pax are ok...
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Equiril
Slow starter

Postby Equiril » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Damn...and I was being trained on that aircraft! Pity about poor condition of the runway and facilities in general though for the air school is well established, the instructor is highly professional and one of the best in this country. Hopefully this has repercussions for the owner(s) of the airfield.
Gregcopter
Heard about flying

Postby Gregcopter » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:55 pm

I would like to see pictures of FAFK, - I'm not sure about the grass issue on the runway unless it is really extensive and should then have been declared unsafe in the first place!!

I'm really glad that the guys are ok and we need to learn from this.
Karman
First solo

Postby Karman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:38 pm

Some pics
http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 5#p1303544

Runway itself is clean from grass, although cement is starting to break up.. The taxiways are another story
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:45 pm

I would imagine that in places this grass could pose a problem on takeoff and landing :shock:
Fisantekraal - Grass on Runway_1.JPG
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Karman
First solo

Postby Karman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:20 pm

The grass seen there is between the taxi and runway so not an issue.

Here another angle that make look even worst ;-) (-)
small__small__DSC_0613_03.JPG
Gregcopter
Heard about flying

Postby Gregcopter » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:05 am

TX for the photo's. Killing the grass is the obvious thing to do but I cant help thinking that the runway is unsafe. The grass growing in the cracks is the net effect of a runway that is breaking up. Life is often about inches - rather safe than sorry!!
Barnabas
Thinking of flying

Postby Barnabas » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:19 am

Hi guys,

Does anyone know what actually happened here, is the poor runway condition the reason for the crash?

:?: :?: