Advice to a newbie...

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

Wingman
Pre flight checks done

Advice to a newbie...

Postby Wingman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:29 pm

I am seriously contemplating taking up this fascinating machines as opposed to fixed wing.

Would like to know your advice or comments on buying a gyro first time. Anything that one should know or ask beforehand except the normal hours on airframe, engine etc.

Also, given my brief investigation into the 2nd hand market I picked up gyros with between 350-400 hours going on average between R350 to R450k. Opposed to that there is gyros with low hours such as 50-100 hours going for between R600-R700k. Any suggestions on this for me in terms of best buy and later on selling value?

Any pitfalls one need to consider?

Regards
The sky is the limit..
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Advice to a newbie...

Postby mak » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:08 am

Wingman

My advice to anybody taking up gyro flying first time is to start with your training and get 15 hours on the flight school's gyro before making your decision. I think it is good to do the last 5 hours of your training with an instructor on your own gyro. Coming from a FW background the open gyro / tandem feeling will be new to you, but you might enjoy it so much that it might be the gyro type that you want to buy. Being a FW pilot you will be use to the enclosed side-by-side feeling of the new generation gyros, just with better visibility in a gyro.
I would recommend that you take the time and effort and go for a test flight with all the gyro agents / manufacturers and with 15 hours experience (if your training takes that long coming from FW) will be able to make a much better informed decision. With this extra experience you will also learn what is important on a gyro and which questions to ask when buying a gyro.
A lot of "upfront" buyers end up buying the gyro type that they get their intro flight in, they are not buying that gyro type specific, but they are buying that great gyro flying sensation that they experienced. First get use to that gyro flying sensation and then you will be able to differentiate between the different feeling of the different gyro types.
Trust me, once you have flow with them all, you will know which one is right for you and it might not be the one that is right for me, or for your hanger mate.
www.altairaviation.co.za
HOME OF XENON & ZEN GYROCOPTER
Wingman
Pre flight checks done

Postby Wingman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi Mak

Appreciate the feedback and do agree with the strategy. Are there any flight schools at Petit, Kitty Hawk or Rhino where I can do a few hours?
The sky is the limit..
saraf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby saraf » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:53 pm

MAK, (^^) (^^) (^^)

Wingman, if you would like some info on the RAF 2000 you are more than welcome to email me and i will forward you the information. Eben@rafsa.co.za

Regard
Good instructors always speak well about all flying machines.
Bad instructors speak badly about machines they cannot fly.
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Learjet » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Excellent advice from Mak. !!!! !!!! !!!!
Dave Lehr
Magni Gyro M22 ZU-EPZ
“You're flying Buzz! No Woody we're falling in style!”
Pieter Smith
Flying low - mind the power lines

Postby Pieter Smith » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:43 am

Always listen to experts. (if you want to save money) They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it! This is the best advice you will get from a honest Gyro Pilot! I personly have lots of respect for MAK! (^^)

Dit lyk my MAK begin almeer hand opsteek om die (social gyro team) se leier te word. Ek dink hy sal n lekke North Meets South kan reel! Wat dink julle?
saraf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby saraf » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:24 am

Nou praat jy Piet,

Hoekom sien ek nie jou inskrywing vir die bundu nie?????????????????????????
Good instructors always speak well about all flying machines.
Bad instructors speak badly about machines they cannot fly.
GOATMAN
Thinking of flying

Postby GOATMAN » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:05 pm

Good advise,MAK

Being fresh out of this thing all i can say is GOOD TRAINING + ROTAXPOWEREDGYROS =A HAPPY GYROPILOT :)
Wingman
Pre flight checks done

Postby Wingman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Thanks for all the advice given. Just to come back on the gyros lifetime. If I buy a gyro with 400 hours say, is it deemed to be many hours or not? I assume the Rotax will be TBO around 1200 hours, so that is not te problem.
The sky is the limit..
Pieter Smith

Postby Pieter Smith » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:24 pm

GOATMAN wrote:Good advise,MAK

Being fresh out of this thing all i can say is GOOD TRAINING + ROTAXPOWEREDGYROS =A HAPPY GYROPILOT :)
Wat rook jy????
Downlaod Google translater en gebruik dit op MAK se eerste post. Blykbaar verstaan jy duidelik nie wat hy die ou probeer verduidelik nie!
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Learjet » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:49 am

Maybe his PTT is stuck? He appears to be transmitting but not receiving :lol: :roll:
Dave Lehr
Magni Gyro M22 ZU-EPZ
“You're flying Buzz! No Woody we're falling in style!”
GOATMAN
Thinking of flying

Postby GOATMAN » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:34 am

Sorry Piet en Learjet wou maar net se wat vir my gewerk het,vra omverskoning.
Ons vlieg mos wat vir ons situasie die beste is,all gyros are good gyros,jammer as ek die vraag
van Wingman verkeerd verstaan het. (^^)
Pieter