Looking at the sky

New kid on the block. Wagtails Trojan

Postby WilBod » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:09 pm

Johan flying the Trojan today:

gyrofan
First solo

Re: New kid on the block. Wagtails Trojan

Postby gyrofan » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:40 am

Wow. at last. Congrats to the team at Wagtail and thanks for finally letting the cat out of the bag ( or is it the gyro out of the hanger )

Still not the prettiest gyro, but an excellent piece of engineering.
From the flight I have seen, she clibs out effortlessly with 4 hours of fuel and 120 kg's of water load...@ 14h00 with a thermometer reading of over 30 degree.....on the Highveld...

Now my dream of actuelly also building a gyro seems closer than ever before..
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby nicow » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:28 pm

I like the custom made space for the cooler box... (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Rampant Rat
Ready for the first flight

Postby Rampant Rat » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:20 pm

Congratulations Wagtail!
Now can you concentrate on getting all the other sick gyro's in the Klipdift hangar back into the air? (**)
Richard Smallman
ZU-RKJ Trojan Gyro
ZU-FXN Sling 2
OzGyro
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby OzGyro » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:03 am

Hi All

Wow finally you boys in SA are finally catching up with what we have been doing here is OZ for years (sorry couldnt help myself vhpy ) On a serious note, its great to see the boys at Wagtail leading the charge in home built style gyro's in SA, I wish you all the greatest success and its great to see what appears to be a viable solution to the factory machines.

Regards
Darren
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby mak » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:32 pm

OzGyro wrote:Wow finally you boys in SA are finally catching up with what we have been doing here is OZ for years (sorry couldnt help myself vhpy )
Yes Darren, it is nice being the number one test cricket team in the world, that is what you are referring too. :wink: :wink: :wink: (^^)
Nice to see that you are still alive, will we see you for the North / South trip?
www.altairaviation.co.za
HOME OF XENON & ZEN GYROCOPTER
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Grumpy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:49 am

Interesting indeed. Must be many applications where 2nd seat is not priority. Good Luck (^^) (^^)
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:34 pm

Hey, thought I recognised my old gyro's registration. Would love to know what happened to my previous Sycamore with the same registration ZU-BPU.

What's the story with the Trojan? Are they modifying old Sycamore's replacing the airframe, undercarriage, engine and modifying the canopy, or is a brand new gyro throughout?
ZU-BPU1.JPG
Image09.jpg
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-ATC VPM M16 with Rotax 914 Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
ZU-RJR Magni M24 Orion Gyro
gyrofan
First solo

Postby gyrofan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:29 am

latest news is that she is still travelling around the country. She has flown to Bloemfontein, Gariep, Eastern Cape and the latest is that she is in the Western Cape.
Hopefully I can convince Johan to tell us a bit more.
How many other Gyro fanatics out there are interested in this machine
I also hear a birdy whispering that a whole team of "looks engineers" are working on the canopy form to get her to look sexy....Please Frans ( scary pilot ), Mr UFO, Mr Jaco, Mr Struis, Mr Hennie, you must pick up speed....we want to see sexy Trojans as well........not that the current one is not looking great......I will rather stop before painting myself into a corner...
I will stop by saying from what I hear the Mechanics and flying is excellent.....looks Engineers, you guys have your work cut out......
Cheers, let me go and drool again
THI
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby THI » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:41 am

The Feb African Pilot has an article on the Trojan.
gyrofan
First solo

Postby gyrofan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:37 pm

What happened to the last posting? I am sure I saw a posting about the new fuselage, but now the post is gone??? or was I just dreaming?
THI
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby THI » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:16 am

gyrofan wrote:What happened to the last posting? I am sure I saw a posting about the new fuselage, but now the post is gone??? or was I just dreaming?
+1

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
wagtailbranko
Slow starter

Postby wagtailbranko » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:28 pm

Just to refresh. picture taken today. first flight made today. trojan no 5. new two seats model no 2. with new sexy body...... more info coming soon vhpy
Attachments
troj.jpg
fstrydom
Thinking of flying

Postby fstrydom » Tue May 20, 2014 8:53 am

WAGTAILS NEW TROJAN GYROPLANE
The new Trojan number seven is under construction at the Wagtail facilities near Sasolburg.It appears to be quite a hi-tech piece of flying equiptment and the new longer and wider body makes it very good looking with a distinct robust look.Wagtail has realy improved so much on the first design since i last saw the development models.More than 10 years of design and development went into this project and the results are showing.Finaly we are again approaching a uniquely South African designed and build gyro with an engine with lots of power and abundant space inside the cockpit.
The ROTAX motor is replaced with a 2,5L Fuel injection Subaru boxer motor that produces just short of 170 hp.In addition a 2L turbo model is also available for serious performance applications producing in excess of 200 hp if required.
It has what must be the best suspension in gyro business consisting of large tyres and pressurized gas/spring dampers.The turbo model also features a radiator built into the tail with the VHF antenna and the frame carrying the coolant.
The rotor head and aluminium rotors with the hydraulic pre rotator has been proven beyond doubt.The 2 seater tandem unit is very wide at the back with a 120L fuel tank as part of the rear seat and the fuel consumption is on par with the Rotax thanks in part to dual redundant Engine Management Unit that allows full control of all the relevant engine parameters including engine/fuel mixture for extended range during cruising conditions.
The instrument panel has a fully integrated PC which provides nearly unlimited on-board applications such as GPS coupled GOOGLE MAPS and in flight tuning of the engine.In addition IP based devices such as camers can be integrated with in flight Wi-Fi,internet, Email and SMS connections.
The Trojan appears to be in a league of its own and if competitively priced could have a major impact on the global Gyroplane market.
Congratulations to the Wagtail team
SCARY PILOT
Attachments
INSTRUMENT PANEL.jpg
INSTRUMENT PANEL
PRA.jpg
WEIGHT &BALANCE
SIDEVIEW.jpg
SIDEVIEW
Vertical Tango
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Vertical Tango » Fri May 23, 2014 11:51 am

Well done Johan ! Will pay you a visit soon ...
Flying is like dancing, it is a love affair between the pilot and his aircraft