Tips and tricks!?

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

jj le roux
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Tips and tricks!?

Postby jj le roux » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:22 am

So you've been around the block a few times and have all the hours to proof it as a gyro pilot and there is a couple of favourite manouvres, tips or tricks that you dying to share with the newby's. Something that'll improve and make the next flight one with a difference. What would that be?
braam hechter
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Re: Tips and tricks!?

Postby braam hechter » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:39 pm

Good Day Sir.

Congratulations on being able to fly the gyro. In my opinion you can never do to many touch-and-goes, or simulated forced landings. This will help you bond with your machine and understands how she will reacts under various conditions. You will then be able to excecute a decent and safe landing anywhere, in basically any conditions. There are many tips and tricks etc. that people normally carry out. This can only be done if your foundations, for flying, is safe. (The tricks are normally experienced when you are on your own and least expect it. As they teach " expect the unexpected ")

Greetings and enjoy your flying.

Braam Hechter
jj le roux
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby jj le roux » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:54 pm

Thank you Braam. I understand where you coming from and do a fair amount of these exercises but maybe not often enough. Tricks was certainly not aimed at how to fly upside down but more as a matter of speaking. I would imagine just like driving a car or riding a bike you develop a skills set of your own and a way of doing things a litte different, things you find work better then the prescribed norm. What better way to make the sport better, safer and more fun then sharing our experiences with fellow pilots.

I unexpectedly never expected to enjoy it so much!!

Thank you for your reply!
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:18 pm

Good attitude JJ.

I sense good airmanship from someone who is willing and eager to learn. I share you sentiments. Learn from those who went before us and learned the hard way sometimes. We dont have to repeat their mistakes. I am also a firm believer in learning to do the fancy maneuvers (Pirouettes, Spiral vertical descents before landing, torque-turns, quick stops...) as part of your training rather than to go try them over the barn in front of the family. (usually ends badly)

My advice to you would be to fly with as many different instructors and competent pilots as often as you can. Once they are comfortable with your own ability they will usually be eager to show you little tips and tricks they have learned over the years. Listen and learn and you will have a long and happy flying career.

I'll volunteer half an hour in the circuit with you in my M16, on me, for a start.
(^^)
jtresfon
First solo

Postby jtresfon » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:39 am

Gyronaut wrote:I'll volunteer half an hour in the circuit with you in my M16, on me, for a start.
(^^)
Bravo Len, now THAT is an attitude worth applauding! An instructor volunteering free time for both himself and a school plane, that's a really big gesture! I doubt you'll find too many flight schools doing that...

JJ there is one rule I set for myself... Every time I do a sub-standard landing (in my opinion) then I follow up with an hour of circuits when I next go flying. My only other piece of advice is to try and do a lot of different out-flights instead of hanging around the cabbage patch. You only learn by trying new things, but each learning curve should be small and incremental.

Enjoy and fly safe!
Jean.
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Grumpy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:30 am

jtresfon wrote: Bravo Len, now THAT is an attitude worth applauding! Jean.
INDEED (^^)
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
jj le roux
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby jj le roux » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:14 pm

Well thank you guys so much. Every bit certainly helps. Jean I do the circuit thing often even if it is just to touch up on the your landings. If I haven't flown for a bit the first thing I'll do is to do a couple of touch and go's with a low level exercise or two thrown in. Only after the initial instruction and qualification is behind do you become aware of other things around you and more comfortable. I often have to pinch myself after I hangered the gyro to confirmed I just flew that all by myself.

Len wow!! I really appreciate your offer and will be in contact. I have been temped to get behind the stick with other instructors for a while but time simply hasn't allowed for it.
saraf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby saraf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Good instructors always speak well about all flying machines.
Bad instructors speak badly about machines they cannot fly.
saraf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby saraf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:44 pm

When the weather is bad, go to the airport with your toolbox and go through every bolt and nut there is. It is worth every min it takes you......
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:15 am

Very good advice Saraf! =D*
I should do more of that and less flying, but you have to admit the flying is far more fun! :) ... I have to add that I am not techinically competent :cry:

Please elaborate on the video you posted?
What I observe is a Zero airspeed 390 degree pirouette with -90 degree correction to line-up? Forgive me if I missing your point? Please elaborate?
Lekker to see the discussion between the pilot and co-pilot (student/instructor I suspect) and the hand gestures... If you had your intercom connected to your camera's audio input, Imagine how nice it would be for all of us to listen to the banter in the cockpit and the radio work etc. Great learning experience for a lot of novice Gyro pilots.

Viva Gyro's!
Viva SA Gyro's!!
saraf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby saraf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:50 am

Hi

The video was just a 360 degree with the rotor , it can be done by just adding full left rudder or by adding full power, depending on how fast you would like to spin under the rotor. I will post another one of a 810 deg turn under the rotor.

I however to not recommend anybody try this on there own , go to an instructor if you have 250h or more and let them show you how.

I will also see if I can not connect the video to the cam.
saraf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby saraf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:40 am

Hi

The video was just a 360 degree with the rotor , it can be done by just adding full left rudder or by adding full power, depending on how fast you would like to spin under the rotor. I will post another one of a 810 deg turn under the rotor.

I however to not recommend anybody try this on there own , go to an instructor if you have 250h or more and let them show you how.

I will also see if I can not connect the video to the cam.
saraf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby saraf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:33 pm

Tinkerbell
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:17 pm

Nice trick, Ebie!
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
ZU-RKU Zen
ZU-RTM Calidus
http://www.altairaviation.co.za
Vertical Tango
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Vertical Tango » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:42 pm

saraf wrote:When the weather is bad, go to the airport with your toolbox and go through every bolt and nut there is. It is worth every min it takes you......
I agree 100 % but -xX the powers at the last SAGPA meeting said -xX Even if you build your own gyro, you are not allowed to tighten that bolt ^
I would just close the hangar door [0*
Flying is like dancing, it is a love affair between the pilot and his aircraft