The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: KALAHARI BUNDU BASH 2013 - RE-LAUNCHED

Postby nicow » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Yolande wrote:Hi Almal,

Ek het gevra dat die manne self feedback gee oor hulle ondervinding van die Bundu, ons vertrou en glo dat dit 'n reuse sukses was en moet begin met die belpanning van 2015 se KBB.

Dankie aan almal wat deelgeneem het, sonder julle sal hierdie event nie kan plaasvind nie!

Groete
Yolande
(^^) (^^) (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby mak » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:35 pm

Unfortunately we could only spend a short time on the pan, but it was enough to experience the hospitality and it seems as if everyone had a great time. Well done to everyone involved.
IMG_2013060357739.jpg
Overhead
IMG_2013060358900.jpg
Gyros in bomb drop
IMG_2013060315865.jpg
Gyro in bomb drop
IMG_201306031778.jpg
Trying to organize gyro pilots for photo shoot
IMG_2013060356242.jpg
Gyros at Bundu Bash
www.altairaviation.co.za
HOME OF XENON & ZEN GYROCOPTER
Yolande
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Yolande » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:53 am

Sent: 03 June 2013 03:55 PM
To: kalaharibundubash@gmail.com
Subject: RE: Kalahari Bundu Bash - Feedback

Hi Yolande

Tim and myself got back to Jhb yesterday. We stopped to put in fuel we were carrying at vryburg and the wind was like we had on Saturday. I held the plane while Tim put in the fuel and we left again!

The most turbulent flights I have ever done. At least we had a tailwind component of 20knots to help.

Thanks for a great bash.

Sent: 03 June 2013 05:05 PM

Ek Is veilig tuis.

Dit was my eerste Bundu en het dit geniet. Die organisasie was baie goed en moet die hele RAF span n klop op die skouers gee. Dit is jammer daar was so min Gyros. Die Bundu is n moet vir enige novice pilot want die learning curve is baie groot.

Ek dink nie daar is enige persoon wat saam was wat regtig genoeg waardering het vir die fisiese harde werk wat julle ingesit het nie, oud, jonk en pregnant het hulle kant gebring.

Met die kos en drank reelings was daar min om te verbeter. ( Daar was net nie Squadrum rum nie!)

Weereens baie dankie vir n besondere ervaring.

Groetnis
Malcolm Claase

_________

Sent: 03 June 2013 05:24 PM

Hi Yolande, thanks to you and the rest of the crew for a fantastic few days, we thoroughly enjoyed the adventure, the setup, flying etc. We discussed the bash on the way back and the questions you’ve posed and will discuss further with the rest of the chaps and give some constructive feedback.

Regards

John Rowland

Sent: 04 June 2013 04:25 AM

Hello you awesome lot!

The Ballito contingent all home safe and sound 

We are getting together on Saturday to debrief and will get everyone’s feedback to pass on to you then but I can tell you now that we had the time of our lives!

Thanks so much to you all

Cheers
Len

PS: We have started posting pics on our FB page (Ballito Microlight Club) as well

Sent: 04 June 2013 06:19 AM
Subject: Re: Kalahari Bundu Bash - Feedback

Baie dankie, was n goeie kopskoonmaak naweek en veilig tuis by hook & crook so tussen die reenbuie deur en een nag oppad by vreemde gasvrye mense op n plaas nadat die onweer ons gevang het
Voorspoed vir Mocke famielie
Bertie
Yolande

Postby Yolande » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:19 am

Sent: 04 June 2013 10:00 AM

Yolande,
Arrived home safe and sound 16:30 Sunday – after an AWESOME 25 hours of flying.
Don’t change anything, YOU GUYS ROCK!!
Upington ATC were very accommodating and helpful considering some rather poor radio work from the inexperienced pilots.
Can’t wait for the 2015 Bash.
A big thanks to you and your very special team for a couple of unforgettable days.
Kind regards,
Andy Jarvis
ZU-FOI
Yolande

Postby Yolande » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:41 pm

by LDV » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:16 pm

Thank you Eben Mocke and family for an experience that will never again be equalled in my life on earth, and the caterer at Goerupan (cant remember her name) and Koppieskraalpan, Hendrik Bot and family.

It is difficult to explain to everyone how we were treated in royalty in a remote area like Koppieskraalpan in the middle of the Kalahari Desert, enough fuel, hotwater showers and food that is compareable to that of a five star lodge.

Logistics must have been a nightmare!!!!

TO THOSE WHO DID NOT ATTEND, A VERY LONG WAIT FOR 2015!!!

The only negative point will be that it will be virtually impossible to better your performance!!

See you in 2015 short finals 36

Leon
ZU-IBI
Yolande

Postby Yolande » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:39 pm

Sent: 04 June 2013 01:55 PM
Cc: eben@rafsa.co.za; ebenf@rafsa.co.za; gavin@rafsa.co.za

Hi Yolande

Tony and I arrived home safely last night in JHB and I hope everyone else did to. Your 2013 Bash was just great and the infrastructure was an amazing improvement over past Bundu Bash’s (I know, as I’ve been to a few) with permanently manned bar, flush Loo’s, Dining Hall tent, Hot water showers etc. The food was also fine and more than acceptable. (A suggestion, Maybe ask guys in future to support the locals by not bringing their own booze and buying from the manned pub. ??? if possible)

I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to attending more in the future.

Will post some photo’s in the next couple of days and looking forward to seeing other peoples.

You keep well and my best regards

Ellis
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:06 pm

The Bundu Bash to me, captured the essence and celebration of recreational flying. An assortment of aerries and personalities at the most surreal location in 5 star standards organised by a group of fantastic enthusiasts dedicated to share this experience.

I had a 6.5 hour flight into Upington, well accommodated by the pressured ATC who probably relished and sweated with ‘recreational pilots’ of all forms invading their tranquil space in quantities that they rarely see in a week. At ATC’s request, What The Fuck’s formation was formed and beers broke the ice and the mingling began in earnest.

The wafting over the grape vineyards to Augrabies and back often became Where The Fuck formation and the trip to the Pans became the Who The Fuck with some welcoming stragglers.
Formating with a Whisper Glider, a blitsy Jabiru, Boet’s Bushbaby or more correctly the Kalahari bush cutter because he flies lower than the cars on the road, Leon’s Ibis, two awesome Zenairs and my GT trike, we flew the Kalahari flat.

Flying into Goera Pan was the brunch pit stop and in the middle of nowhere stands this perfect 360 degree runway with a quant lodge serving us Springbok patty hamburgers with Pinotage sauce and Camenbert cheese and drinks on ice.

Koppiespan is amazing. The dedication to detail, catering and facilities would have made the Gupta’s envious. Top class meals on linen decked tables in an awesome tent with the bar manned from Breakfast to last man standing. Hot showers, flushing porcelain loos, (a full time crew running water carts to keep the full time donkey full and burning) a full time ambulance crew on stand by and a smoothly run fuel system all worked effortlessly.

Sinking sun downers as the last aerries come in to a magnificent sunset (we bought our booze from the bar and was rewarded with regular ice), pissing yourself at the jokes, further festivities in the tent and more around the fire, mesmerised by the stars and then straggling to your tent to the out- of- tune Koppieskraal snoring symphony as big okes make little tents inhale and exhale keeping the desert awake, followed shortly by the rattle of the 582’s and smell of 2 stroke sounding the alarm for another jol.

Thanks to everyone who picked up my trike after the wind storm snapped my tie downs and sorry to the trike which was blown on its back. To see so many hands of help captures the ‘gees’ of the event.

Flying the Haksteen pan strip 10 metres high at 90 mp/h forever, watching a Savanna using 5 metres to take-off, an Albatross doing a 2 metre high runway inspection, being blasted in formation with 70 mile tailwinds clocking 151 m p/h groundspeed in a trike over Postmansberg when FAUP closed their runway due to winds and sinking beers at my new best friends farm near Kimberly to overnight before returning on a 5 hour flight home was beyond awesome.

To those who missed out, this is not about how much, where and why but when.

And to the Mocke’s and crew, take yourselves down to the tattoo parlour and all treat yourself to a What The Fuck emblem on your arses for an awesome unforgettable job well done.

Thank you
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment