Aero Club Insurance scheme

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

gyrosa
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Aero Club Insurance scheme

Postby gyrosa » Mon May 14, 2012 10:06 am

During Novemebre 2011, SAGPA hosted an AP and instructor seminar. One of the persons invited was Kevin Storie who is heading up the Aero Club of South Africa.
During this seminar, Kevin informed us that there was an insurance scheme for members of Aero Club and AP's, which covered the inadvertent accident etc of an NTCA aircraft which was signed out, inspected, worked on by an AP and where something went wrong due to the AP not spotting or missing something during his inspection etc. The condition was that both the operator/owner as well as AP had to be members of Aero Club.
During the course of this year there was a general AP and Instructor's seminar and Kevin Storie informed us that this scheme had lapsed and that the Aero Club was in negotiations with brokers on a new scheme.
Two weeks after the seminar I phone Kevin and requested to know how far this scheme was. I also informed him that this is possibly one one the main reason, if not the only reason, why people were prepared to join Aero Club.

His answer was:-
a) This cover had already lapsed for TWO YEARS.
b) Any one who does not want to be a member of the Aero Club may feel free to take their NTCA aircraft to an AMO and pay the higher fees.

My questions to this whole thing are:-
a) Can we be forced to join Aero Club even though there is nothing really in for us as AP's and or operators? Bear in mind that each section in the past was responsible for the training of it's own AP's and this is a feature that Aero Club has not fulfilled at all other than to keep some sort of register and exams?
b) Why did Kevin Storie mislead us at the SAGPA seminar and not tell us the full story at the general seminar a few months later?????
c) Why is there no communication from Aero Club to the operators (owners) of NTCA aircraft and AP's as to the progress of this scheme? Surely we have the right to know?
d) Are we as AP's going to take this issue lying down, be phased out or be forced to start AMO's???? This being the case, why are we operating NTCA aircraft as this WILL FORCE THE WHOLE NTCA industry to fall flat. Surely the whole idea of NTCA aircraft is that a certain amount of self help (in the pipeline) and AP's was to reduce flying costs????
e) Is Kevin Store the right man for the job???? Looking at the fiasco last year and this year on membership renewals alone, I am afraid I have my own opinion on this issue. You, the reader, may form yours.
f) After speaking to Weidie Vorster last week, he informed me that no feedback in this regard from Aero Club on progess.

I leave you, the reader and AP, to draw your own conclusions. Bear in mind though, that this is not SAGPA's doing, but that of the Aero Club.
Please also note that this is not intended to be inflamatory, but rather to put members in the picture as Aero Club somehow is not doing it's job.
Eric
Condor
Whats the right frequency?
Whats the right frequency?

Re: Aero Club Insurance scheme

Postby Condor » Fri May 18, 2012 2:54 pm

Hi Gyrosa.

Not all the facts below are 100% correct although you are correct to state that at the moment there is not any cover for AP's.

I attended the Aeroclub bi-monthly meeting and the chairman committed to have an answer (maybe even cover) within a week.

Will keep you all posted.

What are the current AP's doing to train and qualify new AP's?
Auto-Gyro Calidus ZU-RRG
gyrosa
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby gyrosa » Sun May 20, 2012 9:18 pm

Condor, thanks for the update on this issue.
As far as training new AP's are concerned, I am always open to train anyone that is interested, however, to date I have found none, and none have approached me.
MAGNIficent
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby MAGNIficent » Thu May 24, 2012 12:49 pm

To fly is LIFE...!!!
Keep on LIVING...!!
Miketoms
Heard about flying

Postby Miketoms » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:31 am

Well,that's very interesting.