Night flying in a gyro?

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

grahame
Signed up at flight school

Night flying in a gyro?

Postby grahame » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:23 pm

Does anyone have a night rating on a gyro? Can they be legally flown at night?
Ashley V
Pre flight checks done

Re: Night flying in a gyro?

Postby Ashley V » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:42 pm

Greetings Grahame.

The answer to both your questions is YES!!!

Speak to Johan von Ludwig from Wagtail Aviation. He is the most knowledgeable person is South Africa when it comes to Gyros. His expertise is even sought overseas by very reputable companies and individuals.

Good luck.

Regards
Ashley V
johnht
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby johnht » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:15 pm

Hmmm... I don't think so under normal conditions. Perhaps special approval for commercial ops such as Wagtail does. Basic Gyros are not equipped nor approved for night flying - I think you will have a major uphill battle to get approval from CAA for night flying.

m2cw

John
saraf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby saraf » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:39 am

Why do you want to fly at night in a gyro? Why do you even want to fly at night in any plane?????
Good instructors always speak well about all flying machines.
Bad instructors speak badly about machines they cannot fly.
grahame

Postby grahame » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:45 pm

"Basic Gyros are not equipped nor approved for night flying "
But COULD they be equipped? Surely one's just looking at a certain level of lighting and instrumentation and training.

"Why do you want to fly at night in a gyro? Why do you even want to fly at night in any plane?????"
Night flying can be awesome, under certain (safe) conditions. Seeing city lights by night is a lovely view. The air can be so calm its like silk. But a night rating is not just about the view. Its also about efficiency - e.g. the ability to leave your destination at the end of the day, and arrive at home base just after sunset, and know that the flight is legal even if you're past the 15 minute rule. In a single engine fixed wing I was too bakgat to make use of my night rating, not because of the plane's inability (it doesn't know night from day), or my flying inability (you soon get the flare right), but because of the "what if the engine quits" fear. I did not trust my ability to make a safe emergency landing in the dark. But now the idea of a gyro excites me even more, because of its amazing engine-out flying characteristics - autorotation with a good landing light is a walk in the park in comparison to the FW situation.

Now remember, I speak from a position of complete ignorance when it comes to gyros. Hence the questions: can it be done? Is it done?
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:50 pm

Night VFR does not require any more instruments than Day VFR. Just need some lights. Don't know where you would fit the green and red "wing tip strobes" but if a heli can fly at night WHY NOT A GYRO :wink:

I think the problem will be the reg's. They simply don't provide for LSA night flight. I am assuming the Gyro will be governed by LSA (RAASA) reg's. On paper it practical, feasible and doable, but I doubt it.....

That said a bit of determination and off you go. When I reg'd the RV for first time they also said NO. 18 months later it was YES..... (^^) (^^) (^^) Now it as simple as asking for night and you get it.
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
Ashley V
Pre flight checks done

Postby Ashley V » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:08 pm

Greetings Grahame.

You asked the question, does anyone have a night rating on a gyro, and the answer is a yes. Can it be done legally, and again the answer to your question is yes. Bottom line, someone in SA has done it, and done it legally.

Speak to Johan von Ludwig. You can contact him on wagtail.gyro@mweb.co.za

Regards
Ashley V
grahame

Postby grahame » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:57 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys. Now I'm even more convinced of the usefulness of the gyro platform vs FW (single engine).