The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

braam hechter
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Re: Arrow Copter AC 10

Postby braam hechter » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi Glen.

I don't think we will be waiting that long. The technology is available, the main problem is just the licensing. The problem is, is it a helicopter or a gyro? There is compressed air systems available with an overspeed to 150% on the rotor, with a neutral pitch which is engaged for take-off. You can also use tip jets, or serious pre-rotating. There are many different ideas, the challenge is to test and prove it safe for operations.

You need to be able to get to approx 300 feet, then the gyro decends as she gets ready for forward flight. There is a lot of costly testing that needs to be done for the required approvals. If the money is available this process can be done quickly.

Greetings and keep on dreaming.

Braam Hechter
FLYNOTE
Flying low - mind the power lines
Flying low - mind the power lines

Postby FLYNOTE » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:03 pm

Methinks the present day masts would go flying off with the rotors into the blue beyond at those rpms while you stay put in the pod on terra firma at the threshhold of 29 waiting for better days. :shock:
Steve_SP
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Steve_SP » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:18 am

Hi

Reported elsewhere on the WWW - the Australian Arrowcopter demonstrator suffered an in-flight incident with part of the propeller breaking off - the pilot managed a successful emergency landing thankfully.

More here

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=143793

Is this same prop type used on other gyros ?

Nice promo video of the very same Aussie Arrowcopter here prior to the incident

http://video.heraldsun.com.au/218966...he-ArrowCopter

Regards

Steve
BrianO
Looking at the sky

Postby BrianO » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:54 pm

Greetings everyone from a new member from Seattle, Washington, USA. I came upon this site while searching the Web for information on this beautiful machine.
You seem to have a great group of people here.

Some of the posts are in a language I can't read -- Afrikaans, I assume? -- but the rest are proving to be most informative. I hope you all don't mind my evesdropping on your activities from time to time.

As far as I know there are no factory-built AC-10s for sale in the USA at this time (our Federal Aviation Administration seems to have a bias against certificating Light Sport Gyroplanes), and I don't know of any completed kits here...yet, but if I should win the Lottery or be discovered by a long lost rich uncle or something, this is the one I want!

Since I am just dreaming, I've dreamt up the ultimate instrument panel for mine. With a little help from the cut-and-paste function in Microsoft Paint, here it is:

Garmin GTN 750 GPS/Nav/Com/Map, Dual Dynon EFIS D-10A Primary Flight Displays with independent ADAHRs, Dynon EMS D-10 Engine Monitor System -- with Rotor Tach, Remote Transponder controlled by the GTN 750.

Comments, criticisms, and advice welcomed.
Attachments
My Dream Panel For Arrow Copter AC-10 -- Cropped for Posting.jpg
My Dream Panel For Arrow Copter AC-10 -- Cropped for Posting.jpg (83.17 KiB) Viewed 10219 times
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Learjet » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:19 pm

Welcome BrianO
Please feel free to post and contribute as much as you like - no need to just eavesdrop :-) In fact a visit to fly in SA would be great too.
Your dream instrument panel looks great, but I bet you'll find some strong support in this part of the world for our "homegrown" MGL Avionics EFIS which is a popular choice for gyros being fitted with glass instrumentation.
Enjoy the forum.
Regards
Dave
Dave Lehr
Magni Gyro M22 ZU-EPZ
“You're flying Buzz! No Woody we're falling in style!”
BrianO
Looking at the sky

Postby BrianO » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:29 pm

Learjet wrote: ...I bet you'll find some strong support in this part of the world for our "homegrown" MGL Avionics EFIS which is a popular choice for gyros being fitted with glass instrumentation.
I've seen the MGL EFIS in person at an Experimental Aircraft Association fly-in (I think it was the 8.4" Voyager model), and it looks like a nice unit.

I'm partial to Dynon, though, because they're made just a few miles down the road from my house. Garmin is...well...only half a continent away, in the state of Kansas. (Home of Dorothy, in The Wizard of Oz.)

But your mention of MGL got me thinking (always dangerous) -- did I really need two Dynon EFIS uints? Then I recalled MGL's 2-1/4-inch Infinity-series avionics, and a new idea was born. Take away the top-center Dynon EFIS, and replace it with an MGL Artificial Horizon / Turn Coordinator on the left and an Becker Transponder on the right. Then, put an Audio Panel and Nav/Com where the top EFIS had been. An MGL XTreme EFIS at the bottom controling a VP-X remote electronic circuit breaker system and providing backup PFD and backup GPS rounds out the system.

Everything is still nice and symetrical, primary avionics all have back-ups, and it resembles more closely my original inspiration -- the F-22 Raptor.

I also did one for the Calidus.
Attachments
My Arrow Copter AC-10 Panel Concept With F-22 Inspiration.jpg
Calidus Dream Panel.jpg
Ashley AC
Looking at the sky

Postby Ashley AC » Tue May 22, 2012 10:25 pm

Greetings Brian.

The layout for the Arrow sure looks impressive.

The agent for ArrowCopter in the USA is:

Dr. Claudius Klimt, and he resides in Baltimore.

You can contact him at:

claudius.klimt@arrow-copter.com

Here is a foto of his ArrowCopter

Regards
Ashley
Attachments
IMAG0285 A.jpg
BrianO
Looking at the sky

Postby BrianO » Wed May 23, 2012 2:26 am

Ashley AC wrote: ...The agent for ArrowCopter in the USA is: Dr. Claudius Klimt, and he resides in Baltimore.
Thank you, Ashley, for the contact information. He has a beautiful bird; I like that red! (Although if it had been me, I might have gone for an orange, black, and white scheme, resembling the plumage of the Baltimore Oriole. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/baltimore_oriole/id)

Baltimore, Maryland is three time zones and 2326 miles (3744 km) east of Seattle, but if I find myself on the east coast any time soon I'll have to look him up. In the mean time, an e-mail is on the way.

Thanks again,
-Brian-
AVR
Thinking of flying

Postby AVR » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:31 pm

Greetings All.

Yesterday 22nd June 2012, was a milestone day for the ArrowCopter team in Austria. They have achieved much in a very short time span. Congratulations to the whole Austrian team on a job well done!!!

Here's why:

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showth ... p?p=480714

Regards
Ashley V
BrianO
Looking at the sky

Postby BrianO » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:04 pm

AVR wrote: ...Yesterday 22nd June 2012, was a milestone day for the ArrowCopter team in Austria.
Congratulations to the team!

Does European type certification enable easier certification in SA?
Ashley AC
Looking at the sky

Postby Ashley AC » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Greetings BrianO

I can't answer you.

But in the mean-time !!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r57hb_IV2dk

Regards
Ashley V
BrianO
Looking at the sky

Postby BrianO » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:02 pm

Ashley AC wrote:...But in the mean-time !!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r57hb_IV2dk
Nice video. I saw you and Matthew Zalewski, but where was Stringfellow Hawke? 8)
Ashley AC
Looking at the sky

Postby Ashley AC » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:31 pm

Greetings BrianO

He was in "Stealth Mode".

I believe he operates from somewhere South, Fisantekraal I think ?????

Regards
Ashley V
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:37 pm

Morningstar to be exact!
Coordinates: S33 45.517 E18 32.891
:lol:

In my humble opinion the Arrowcopter sets a new standard, worldwide, in Gyro's by quite a big margin!
I wish their owners many pleasurable, happy and safe hours in their beautiful machines.
=D* (^^)
Eagle
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Eagle » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Made in Austria:

The ArrowCopter - don't compromise

Now Certified ! ##

Dear Gyro Friends,

Arrow Fans around the world have had to wait a long time but their patience is now rewarded. We are proud to present the Austrian Type Certificate, based on BCAR Section T/ Issue 4 rules, for the ArrowCopter AC20

Your Arrow Team

(^^)
Attachments
AC10.jpg
Regards

Nic Prinsloo
Managing Member
Eagle Aviation

Where Flying is a Passion......

Branch Contact Info:

Mobile: 076 970 2758
Email: Eagle@connect.co.za