Fling wing day at Swartkops AFB - 5 June

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Fling wing day at Swartkops AFB - 5 June

Postby Low Level » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:05 am

I'm posting this here for the okes that don't visit Avcom. From the Avcom topic:

http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 12&t=62925

Hi to all the Chopper / fling wing Guys and Gals,

The SAAF Museum will be hosting a Chopper / Fling Wing day at AFB Swartkops on June 5th. The event is for the whole family and you will be allowed to fly in with your helicopter / gyrocopter and land at AFB Swartkops. There will be Chopper movies in the movie hall, radio controlled helicopters for the young ones, food and beverage for the families and of course helicopters giving flying displays too (These include civilian as well as Museum Helicopters). If you would like to partake in the day, please contact Colonel Clive Shephard at 012 351 2306 and he will be able to give you all the details on how to get permission to land at the base, as well as what the day entails. Looking forward to meeting all my fellow chopper / fling wing fanatics there!!
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
THI
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Fling wing day at Swartkops AFB - 5 June

Postby THI » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:12 am

Was anybody there?
Thinus Enslin
Potchefstroom (FAPS)
ZU-CML
Sycamore MK1 - Hilux of the gyros
Would love a RV10 though...
fransstrydom
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Re: Fling wing day at Swartkops AFB - 5 June

Postby fransstrydom » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:31 pm

Phillip Nel and myself went.I took a passenger(Andre Maartens) in the Sycamore and Phillip flew the Wagtail Ela.Flew the Pinedene route.There were several Gyro,s,i think i counted nine and a host of helicopters.It was a supurb winters day and the event was well organised by the SAAF as per usual.We spoke to some of the organisers and the intention is to do this on a more regular basis to fund some of the musuems projects. The MUSTANG is in need of an engine and propeller.It was devastating to see the F1's and even the refueling Boeing in the museum.I still remember when they were delivered brand spanking new.I was part of the team that delivered air to air missiles for those aircraft.The exhibition is really nice and it brought back a lot of memories of a country fighting a war.Some aireal displays as well with Helis and Harvards and even a display of Pitt specials .The event could have been a lot bigger but the idea was to just try and see what sort of reaction was to be expected.Phillip and myself went to meet the ATC's i was pleasantly surprised in the manner that all tha SAAF personel wellcomed and entertained us.All in all a very nice day.Hope to do it again soon.Must say that the Sycamore drew a lot of attention from the crowd.Actually met some people from the forum i havent met before.
franss
Proud Sycamore owner
ZU-CCN
Rhino