Downdraft induced accidents. Busting the myth...

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Downdraft induced accidents. Busting the myth...

Postby Gyronaut » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:03 pm

I couldn't agree more Dave.

If I am not mistaken there were 5 other gyro's in loose formation... strange none of them encountered the 'down draught'?
It is rumoured that he entered a vertical descent. Wonder how good his hovers were up to that point. Aim for the thing you are trying to miss (which in this case is the ground) :roll:

Same applies on take-off. Keep that nose down, 3" off the ground until you see your best rate of climb speed, then rotate. If not by 2/3's of the runway... abort.

Fly safely
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:58 am

If I am not mistaken there were 5 other gyro's in loose formation... strange none of them encountered the 'down draught'
And there's a hidden answer to a similar debate right there.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Karman
First solo

Postby Karman » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:02 am

Heard other day person also almost hit the deck in downdraft with gyro flying in the mountains. (his story, not mine) ..

Basically flying about not checking airspeed and pulling back more and more to compensate for height loss due to downward flowing wind over the mountains.. Eventually getting wrong side of power curve..Full power did not help, only way to recover was to full stick forward and get speed up again. he said made it with about 10m to spare.

Could be that this 1 / 5 was slight bit slower, bit heaver than others and got wrong side of curve and did not recognize the issue soon enough... (**)