Gyro headset options

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

Gyro headset options

Postby t-bird » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:37 pm

The noise levels in the back of the gyro is very high. I have tried different headsets with active noise reduction but the noise reduction was not worth the amount that you have to pay extra for theses headset.

I then came across CEP. http://www.helicopterhelmet.com/helicop ... et_126.htm
These are basically in ear speakers. They have been used by the Us air force and Light speed is also manufacturing a set. http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/conte ... m-Ear-Mold
These are very expensive and I am look at an alternative.

The alternative would be to get a mould made of my ears and have the speakers fitted inside. These will plug into my current headsets which mean that if the system fails that you still have your current headset. The noise reduction would be substantial.
Is there anyone who have used this technology in South Africa ?
Condor
Whats the right frequency?

Re: Gyro headset options

Postby Condor » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:59 pm

Take a look at the folowing website.

http://www.clarityaloft.com/

I brough a pair back from Oskosh. They work well, but tend to dislodge from MY ears when the wind pulls on the wires.

Is quite strange to fly only with sunglases!!!

I will sell mine for USD500.
Auto-Gyro Calidus ZU-RRG
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby t-bird » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:18 pm

Hi Condor

You are echoing my points
1) 500 US $ is too expensive for what you get
2) The wind will blow them off

That is why I want to do a headset in ear combination. The headset ear cups will reduce the noise but will also be your backup and will keep the in ears from flying though the prop.

The noise reduction is unbelievable if used in a combination. That is if you can believe the numbers quoted on the net.
Condor

Postby Condor » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:01 am

We have tried at least 3 types of this technology at Oskosh and found the type with "pipes" for transfer not as good as the Clarity units that have the speaker at your ear.

This is commonly used by airobatic pilots, weighs around two ounces and does not add to your head weight during high G manouvers.

I see they cost USD690 on the website. I think I have 10 sets of spare ear seals.

My question: Do you realy need more with a David Clark set and radio properly installed and setup?

I had a lot of problems unitil I read the book and start experimenting with microphone levels (easy to adjust on my Filser ATR600).

My antenna was also fine tuned and works to good now. I fly at Kitty Hak and speak to people at Ergo Slimes.
Auto-Gyro Calidus ZU-RRG
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby t-bird » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:50 pm

Hi Condor

My radio is perfect .

The problem is the noise and the wind in the back.

The noise is not a problem on short trips but bothers me when flying more than an hour.

My idea is to do an instructors rating and to fly from the back when I take my wife,dad and kids for a flip.

I have tried the following headset that is available Seinheizer,Avcom ,Pilots,David Clarke Bose, Light speed zulu’s,Peltors.

The DC are not comfortable and I was not that impressed with the ANR even in front.

The Bose and Lightspeeds are very nice and comfortable but it is if the noise at the back is too much for the ANR to cope.
We had the same experience with the Bose in a Turbo prop when we taxied with the door open.

The Peltors Helmet combination the same as the MT-03 – no ANR but work well for the price

I have struggled to setup the pilot headsets –

The non ANR that impressed me the most was the Seinheizer – very comfortable and clear, but still noisy

Could not test the Seinheizer ANR as it had to be wired into the aircraft.

The wind is also a factor at the back and will definitely pull the in ears out without a headset.

My idea is to have in ears that plug into the headset. Headset stops wind and noise and in ears stops noise even further.
Rotor-Blade
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Rotor-Blade » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:23 am

HI Guys

I have in a similar vain, been aware of the noise when carrying a passanger, in the back. This has presented itself more as additional ambient noise when transmitting, and not so much as ambient noise breaking through the physical headsets earpieces while flying. The radio installation also comprises of a Filser600, and 2 x piltos Hedsets. To alliviate the higher signal to noise ratio when transmitting, I designed a small interface which is connected to the passanger jacks. The circuit has a sinlge switch to select if it is pilot only or Pilot and passanger requirement for flight. How it basically works is when carrying a passanger, the micrphone automatically is dsconneced during transmission, this effectivly reduces the noise coming through the passaner mike, this still allows for the PAX to hear all transmissions, but can not actvely prticipate (only monitor radio traffic). However for VOX communications the mike is active, so normal intercom communicationis possible. This has been achieved with a connection to the PPT switch and a little circuitry around that. If only a Pilot is present then the swith can be set to pilot only and the pilot headset can be used in the passanger jack, which makes it a bit easier from a cabling point of view in my set-up in the gyro. It has been installed for over a year and no problem has been experienced. The relay used was a small hermaticall sealed relay in a type of TO5 trnsistor package

If needed I can try and post the diagram should anyone want to use it.

Regards
Rotor - Blade
riefra
Thinking of flying

Postby riefra » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:51 am

I could advise you to try Lynx the proper set from www.lynx-avionics.com. i have installed them in a couple of gyros with great success. i also use them myself and with no problems and very good quality.

The system is designed for high noise open cockpit and work well. i even connect my cell to the system and make and recieve calls without the other party noticing that I am flying. you can also ad an ipod or mp3 connect more than one radio

Have a look at the web or send me a mail i would assist

Regards
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Trikenut » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:44 am

AirMagic is also a good option. The pax system is not on when the pax headset is not plugged in, and it has RF shielding, music muting, cell input/output, aux plug, (for music - Ipod etc.) and a port for video cameras. This is a great system. Contact Paul Lintott. (Zulu1 on this forum) http://www.airmagic.co.za
Trikenut - Pilot in Training!!!
I love the smell of Avgas in the Morning!
"Beware 16 year old here"
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:08 am

Rotor-Blade wrote:If needed I can try and post the diagram should anyone want to use it.
Please do. The noise is really tiring when flying long distances. I tend to switch the pax's intercom off when flying long distances. Fortunately the switch is situated between pilot and pax, therefore both pilot and pax can reach it easily.

It works well, but I found it tends to interfere with good communication while flying. The effort of putting it on/off/ to say something, makes for times you just sit here with your own thoughts. :(

I have even put a litlle plastic bottle over the pax mic, open ended to his mouth's side, to try and reduce the windnoise, but maybe gained 0.5 % wind noise reduction. :?
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:29 pm

OK, Low level lets see if we can work this one out...Steve Boxall our UK office manufacturers a very high end system as he is a MT03 Instructor. he has spent hours sitting in the back seat of a Gyro device. Now please understand that I know zip about Gyros. I will send two sets of headsets that plug to each other (a simple intercom) before you go any further and try that out. The radio interface is easy if that bit works. It has full noise canceling mics, wind shields that we use in trikes and a few other tricks that we have been using. It may take some tweaking but lets give it a shot...Send me a PM with details of delivery address and see what we can do. See www.airmagic.co.uk for headset types.

Cheers Paul
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby t-bird » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, it will help with the communication but not to keep the noise out.

Rotor blade could you please post diagrams ? It would not solve the noise but will definitely help with the comms.
flying-i
First solo

Postby flying-i » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:35 am

Sometimes simple solutions are the best.

Go to an industrial safety supplier and buy some disposable foam ear plugs - the kind used by factory workers in high noise environments. I have attached a pic of one type. There are many different types so try them until you find a comfortable one that works for you.

I have a box of Bilsom plugs and the box indicates a noise reduction of 29 decibels. We have used them while skydiving and while sitting in aircraft next to open doors on the way up to altitude to cut out the wind and engine noise. They are really cheap and effective.

Pop them in your ear and wear your normal headset over them ( you may have to turn the volume up a bit)

In addition to that I can recommend the airmagic system for open cockpit flying - easy to install and it works.

I would be interested to see if the plugs work for you and substantially eliminate the noise..

Try it and let us know.

Cheers
Attachments
Foam ear plug.jpg
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Yoda
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:17 pm

I've tried the above (foam ear plugs) , but its a frustration. They also damp the radio too much and there is still a lot of low frequincy vibrations that drives me nuts because they seal your ear too much.
I'm currently researching the "noise ban" earplugs. They use them locally at the mines. Apparently some of the SAAF helicopter pilots are also using them. They use a mold to custom fit the plug to fit the inside of your ear perfectly.
Also it has a variably damper wich means you can set it to allow a certain amount of sound through. Apparently you wont have a problem hearing the radio and it should at least protect one from becoming deaf after a few years of gyro flying...
I will let you guys know if it works.
They also have a system where you can put in a speaker inside the noise ban and then connect you radio to that. This is their website: http://www.hass.co.za/noiseban.asp?area=noise_ban
Rgds
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:50 pm

OK, Project in progress, please understand that we may not get it right the first time...but we have to start somewhere. Low Level will get some toys to play with.

Cheers Paul
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby t-bird » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi Yoda

Thanks this is what I have been looking for.

When I started the post I could only find the overseas products clarity loft and CEP.

These guys are in Pretoria, just across the "boerewors curtain" and I will definately give them a shout.

Cheers

Callie