The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Sycamore Website

Postby Trikenut » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:29 pm

Hi Guys,
Can someone please give me the address of the Sycamore Gyro site.
I also believe that this is an South African made gyro. Is this correct?
Thanks,
Ross (After flying with Len yesterday, I am starting to love gyro's!)
Trikenut - Pilot in Training!!!
I love the smell of Avgas in the Morning!
"Beware 16 year old here"
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Sycamore Website

Postby Gyronaut » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:06 pm

www.sycamore.co.za
http://www.chayaireurope.com/

Be advised that 'currently' the factory is defunct.
There is talk of investors taking over and reviving them. There is also talk of them being built under licence in the UK.

All I know is that I have one, with a valid ATF and that it flies very well. I cant be too bothered with the politics or the rest. I am assured of spares from the suppliers of critical parts and it has a standard Rotax 914 engine so I am not worried.

There are a few around for less than the value of the 914 so if you are looking for an affordable entry into Gyro's and you are mechanically inclined to look after it, then thats the way to go I'd say.

Having said that, my M24 Orion is on order! !!!!

Len
franss
Pre flight checks done

Postby franss » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:11 am

franss
Sycamore Mk 1 Eagle
Rhino Park
ZU-CCN

Congratulations Jetranger on your new toy.When do you expect delivery?.please keep us informed.Also any info concerning CHAYAIR AND Sycamore manufacturing.Iam convinced that the problem with the weight can be vastly improved and what about a side by side Sycamore?You will have to sell your M24.
franss
ZU-CCN
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:27 am

Thanks Frans

For the record, I am keeping my Sycamore! I believe that people build an affinity for the machine they were trained in and 9 out of 10 will buy the same for themselves. With the production of Sycamore faltering, and no plans for a side-by-side, I decided that the M24 would be an ideal trainer so the M24 is going to work while the Sycamore is for pleasure. I agree that significant weight can be reduced on the Sycamore although the original design is solid and sound. Its a bakkie that flies well and is over-engineered in every aspect. Thats not a bad thing in Africa.

As for the expected arrival of the M24, the agent has said "The next available production slots are early October 2009 (+/- 6 weeks from now)." which I take to mean that they will begin building mine roughly 6 weeks from now, then it still has to be built, shipped here, etc so its going to be a while yet.

Gives me a bit of time to save frantically :-)

Rgds

Len
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Grumpy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:38 am

JetRanger wrote: Gives me a bit of time to save frantically :-)
Len
It's not the price of the M24 you need to worry about, it's the reciprocal purchase the 'softness' insists on, thats gonna bend you. ## ## ##
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
Jabbanaught
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jabbanaught » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:53 am

Grumpy wrote:
Len
It's not the price of the M24 you need to worry about, it's the reciprocal purchase the 'softness' insists on, thats gonna bend you. ## ## ##

vhpy vhpy vhpy Talking from experience grumps ? ## ## ##
Autogyro - Calidus ZU- ???
Magni M22 - ZU EGA
Grumpy
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Grumpy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:07 am

Jabi430 wrote:
Grumpy wrote:
Len

vhpy vhpy vhpy Talking from experience grumps ? ## ## ##
Thankfully it didn't require a purchase, but the 'dance around' can be compared to a 'Fiddle playing jester' .
I don't know whats worse. (^^)
"Hope the weather is calm tomorrow !!"
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:06 pm

You're right. My softness told Grumpy in no uncertain terms that the M24 was going to cost me double! (**)

(Shh, still a bargain) :lol: I've been dancing like a 'fiddle playing jester' for her for years... c'est la vie
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Trikenut » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:39 pm

Thanks guys, I have checked out the website.
I think that the Sycamore is probably the best gyro for Africa because it seems so strong. I am 90 Kilos and, when climbing into Len's Sycamore he said I could just stand on the floor without having to worry. Not something you can do in a Magni M16!!
Len: Do you think there is any realistic chance of the Sycamore being built again?
Thanks,
Ross
THI
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby THI » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:37 pm

I see Sycamore is building a TOP SECRET Sycamore 5 seater tractor propeller :shock:
Clever!
Does anyone have an inside scoop? Foto's ect?
Thinus Enslin
Potchefstroom (FAPS)
ZU-CML
Sycamore MK1 - Hilux of the gyros
Would love a RV10 though...
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:45 pm

Trikenut, it would be a pity if Sycamore were to disappear into the sunset for sure. If someone with capital, the right marketing and production skills took up the challenge I know they will achieve success. They are solid, robust machines and with the 33ft Aluminium rotors perform very well.

THI, I recall the owners of Sycamore talking about a 4 seater a while ago - based on a wider version of the standard Sycamore, with push-pull cables rather than control rods and with a 4 blade rotor system ... Tell us more? Please?

Len
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Trikenut » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:18 pm

I think that the Sycamore is a gyro that is great for Africa. The market for an enclosed gyro that is built 'african tough' surely would be big?
Thanks for all the info. I can't wait to see the M24, Len! Is it the first in the Cape?
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:56 pm

As an ex-helicopter pilot, I was grounded on my game farm in the Musina district one day and this woer-woer landed on the "twee spoor" road in front of us. I swore I would never get in one of those things.,.. until then.

The owner took me for a flight off rough terrain (no runway withing 50 miles) and I was sold.
Drove to the factory next day, saw their setup and ordered one. Four years later I am still very happy with my machine and at every airshow the attention it gets is astounding. Simple fact, Chicks Dig It. vhpy

Enclosed, stable, solid... thats what its about. Pity its Tandem or it would be as good as a Robbie R22 at 1/10th of the cost per hour.

Quite logical really...

Side by side enclosed, stable, solid would be 1st prize, Hence the Magni M24 order. Not sure if its the first in the Cape Ross, will be my first for sure. Can't wait and I will be happy to take your 90kg ass for a ride if your Dad approves again. vhpy

Fly safe

Len
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Trikenut » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:43 pm

Good memory!! But then again it's highly unusual for a 14 year old to weigh 90kg! (**) I want it known though... that is not all fat. I am 6 ft 2 and quite stockily built. Burgalars beware! vhpy
I look forward to my flight in the Magni! (^^)
When did you place the order? I'd imagine that it would be the first in the cape as I'm alsost 100% sure no-one else would have ordered one already. You are going to make Louis drool! He loves those M24s! vhpy
Cheers,
Ross