Loooong time ago

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Loooong time ago

Postby Boet » Sun May 17, 2009 4:33 pm

This pick was taken looong ago, when I still possesed more guts than brains...... vhpy
Attachments
Long ago.jpg
Long ago.jpg (92.27 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
Slabfish
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Re: Loooong time ago

Postby Slabfish » Sun May 17, 2009 10:26 pm

I saw one of those flying at FAGR a good couple of years ago.I remember my dad showing me an article (Popular mechanics magazine) and pictures of a Gyro in about 1965(toe ek nog mooi was) and I was very interested in seeing this one perform. Cannot remember the pilot`s (instructor`s)name,the motor was a McCullugh (spelling?) and very temperamental. While battling to start (prop swing) it for the best part of an hour ,he still commented about the fact that it would sometimes just give a loud bang while flying and stops :shock: .Never the lest,he got it started (very very noisy)and gave us a very nice demo, hovering in a 15+knts headwind over the field ,I was very impressed with my first encounter with a Gyro. And then at about 150ft agl................BANG --- I cringed :shock: . And guess what , he came pushing the Gyro back to the hanger with no damage, even after a big dust cloud where he landed------now I was even more impressed 8), .It was since that day that I envy d those incredible flying machines.By the way Boet ,it looked identical to the one you`r in on the pic.Does any body know how many of those where flying in SA and how many are still flying, it looks like an nice restoration , build project if one can find one that is on the SA CAA register.8) .
Fly high
Clem
Clem Slabbert from FAPX
ZS WPF Mizer-Sold
ZU EKP Jora-Sold
ZU CWE Jora-Sold
ZU IAC New Jora
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Mon May 18, 2009 9:10 am

Brayan, the damn seatbelt was too short, we used a piece of rope instead. (!!) Could not get the Mcacatac to work either, and resorted to towing each other around........ like I said. More guts than brains those days. This gyro was eventually buggered up.... NOT flying, moering off the trailer at high speed. :(
Vertical Tango
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Vertical Tango » Mon May 18, 2009 6:15 pm

Jan Van Steen in randburg is currently building one ! (**)
Flying is like dancing, it is a love affair between the pilot and his aircraft
gyrosa
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby gyrosa » Thu May 21, 2009 11:39 am

I still have one ZS-UZY, and in need of restoration when I get the time. Boet flew it on the tow at the Pans near Vanwyksvlei many years ago. Yes the Mac engine is a bitch at best, but once you get it going and flying, it is very close to the Magni in handling. Really a pleasure to fly and, no, not for sale.
Slabfish
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Slabfish » Thu May 21, 2009 11:52 am

gyrosa,no, not for sale. :(
Clem Slabbert from FAPX
ZS WPF Mizer-Sold
ZU EKP Jora-Sold
ZU CWE Jora-Sold
ZU IAC New Jora
The Agent
The Boss
The Boss

Postby The Agent » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:11 pm

Nee Boet dis n trick foto julle staan op n glasblad, ek hat al van die stories van julle gehoor man die ding het nie regtig gevlieg nie. (-) ## puff puff puff :lol:
Empty Toy Box
Busy Arranging for new toy.
Graham Cooper