Low Flying

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

johnht
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Re: Low Flying

Postby johnht » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:01 pm

If anyone is really serious about action being taken against alleged offenders, let us use the existing, formal CAA channel, viz the CAHRS.
Unfortunately this forum is not accessed by everyone. Also, even if an offender was 'named and shamed' - so what?

The CAHRS form can be downloaded via the link: http://www.caa.co.za/Public/Safety%20Co ... 0form2.pdf

John
zu-jht
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:53 pm

I'm with Len & Eric on this one....

LOW LEVEL flying is inherently dangerous. A few weeks ago I lost two friends in the BANTAM accident... The scenario could have been seriously different if the had 400 ft more to work with and not the odd 50 or 100!

T-Bird.... there is a very informative book called The Killing Zone and I suggest it as a very important read especially for the pilots in the 50 to 300 hour zone!

A day will come when you think how cool it is to beat up a field at low level only to find you klapping the tail rotor or that awesome looking valley - do the scud run only to find some Eskom construction team has put up and HT line.... Think about it!
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
t-bird
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby t-bird » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:25 pm

removed
Last edited by t-bird on Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:50 am

As a matter of interest T-bird, how many gyro hours have you got?
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:53 am

Thank you re. my friends...

With regards to low flying not being against the rules..... Not entirely true as you are generalising the concept and without getting into an argument from a safety officer's point of view - I'll oppose the practice - no matter what the mode of flight may be!
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby mak » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:21 am

"LOW LEVEL flying is inherently dangerous". Bad Nav, I didn't know that you have met and seen Low Level fly before, but from your comment I see you have. :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Sorry Low Level, couldn't resist
www.altairaviation.co.za
HOME OF XENON & ZEN GYROCOPTER
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:04 am

Oh my word.... sorry... let me rephrase that - vhpy

Flying too close to the ground or without sufficient altitude may induce a common syndrome they call pain - the misconception of "speed kills" thus arises to be not true and the realisation of one's mortality is stressed by the abrupt manner in which one becomes stationary after performing such an act! :shock:
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
Dre'man55
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Dre'man55 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:58 am

Laws aside it is unfortunately fact that many of the fun things we do are dangerous. Flying low, riding a quad or off road bike in excess of 100kph on a narrow path, riding a superbike at only just sub 300kph speeds etc etc etc.

With freedom comes responsibility and consequence.
Must get airborne again
Andre'
Flying Below power lines on a DSX650
Too much power is just enough
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:02 am

I took this passage from the SAPFA newsletter and I know Chris B wont mind seeing that it is the interest of safety...
The SACAA has got together a group of industry experts under the name The General Aviation Safety Initiative (GASI). SAPFA is represented on this body. We are hoping that this body will come up with some innovative ideas to reduce accidents rather than the knee-jerk reaction of more stringent rules and regulation. It is my belief that most of the accidents are caused by poor decision making and judgment which seems to be part of the rule breaking and risk taking attitude of the South African psyche. How many times do we have to hear “I knew he would have an accident as some stage…..” Unfortunately there seems to be some pilots that believe that they are bullet proof. Our statistics show
that they are not. The psychology of bad decision making is rooted in confidence based on incrementally bad behaviour without adverse outcomes. What can you do as a responsible pilot? Apply some peer pressure. Identify unacceptable behaviors and challenge the pilot. Use the CAHRS system if necessary. Play your part in generating those actions that will modify behaviour. Then make sure you are competent as a pilot. Practice emergency drills and home your skills as a pilot.
:idea:

Increasing your speed from a stand still poses dangers in its own realm.... for instance one only needs to ride a bicycle at 13km/h - fall - knock your head on the curb for it to be fatal! :shock:
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
hersham
Thinking of flying

Postby hersham » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:50 pm

I have not seen such a bunch of hypocrites together for a very long time....
Just look in Mountain Flying in posting of 3Dec 08 at the sycamore skimming the waves......... ## ## ##
And if im not mistaken a gyro servicing business currently for sale operated for years out of a warehouse in an industrial area and used the public road leading to it as a runway on an almost daily basis...... :roll: :roll: :roll:
En die k#k het begin vandat die "besigheid" op die mark gekom het.....ledigheid is die duiwel se oorkussing..... en nou is die duiwel los.. :x :x
Kry vir jou weer n jop en los ons in rus en vrede of gaan krap op n ander plek soos Avcom...... en vat jou duiwel saam....
groete
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:13 pm

mak wrote:I didn't know that you have met and seen Low Level fly before, but from your comment I see you have.
## ## ## Jy het een in die sakkie.
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:44 pm

Hersham

4 posts and you know it all. Obviously you are too much of a coward to post under your own name.

Do you see any people or animals in the picture of the Sycamore skimming the waves? Clearly not you Idiot so its perfectly within the law and within the boundaries of what is considered good airmanship.

As for your comments about the "besigheid op die mark gekom het.....ledigheid is die duiwel se oorkussing bla bla bla" take your personal little vendetta's somewhere else.

I repeat that I have the utmost respect for Eric Torr and his abilities and if he has riled you to the point where you hide behind your anonymity [big word for you] (or your mothers skirts) go do it somewhere else. I will treat all your further comments with the contempt they deserve.

124.8 zone out, See You Next Tuesday.
... or Probably On Easter Sunday :lol:

(will someone draw him pictures?) :lol: :lol:
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:47 pm

Ok Hersham and Jetranger. You've both had your say, and some valid points raised there.

Can we now stop the mud slinging and name calling to keep the thread constructive, otherwise will have to intervene. If you want to get personal, PM the other person. Let's try and keep this as a discussion, and not an argument.

Let's not beat around the bush, low flying does open oneself to more dangers, but the situation must be managed. The slightest misjudgement can have catastrophic results. Like most things, there is a time and place.
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-ATC VPM M16 with Rotax 914 Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
ZU-RJR Magni M24 Orion Gyro
old no 7
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby old no 7 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:18 pm

FO Gyro wrote:Ok Hersham and Jetranger. You've both had your say, and some valid points raised there.

Can we now stop the mud slinging and name calling to keep the thread constructive, otherwise will have to intervene. If you want to get personal, PM the other person. Let's try and keep this as a discussion, and not an argument.
Hear Hear Glen,
I almost thought I had logged onto Avcom for a minute. ##
I think we should introduce a yellow-card system to combat mud-slinging & name-calling. One week in the cooler should calm their tempers or deflate the egos to acceptable & constructive levels.
ZU-f-ALL
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:22 am

Now you are really letting it sound like the rules of our sister forum by suggesting a "go back to jail" system! Aptly noted regarding valid arguments - so recap on this thread and see how many points you can take away as a pilot and reflect on your own airmanship & safety before trashing it!

Seeing that the point was raised, I think Len has touched a nerve and closer to the truth now! As Ducky would say... Popcorn & Coke anyone! (^^)
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org