The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

NickL
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Bluetooth Comms While Flying

Postby NickL » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi guys

I have to admit that I do enjoy gadgets while flying. I recently installed a fuel flow meter which is old hat to most and I wished I did it a long time ago but perhaps this one is new to some of you.

I was looking for a bluetooth system to have cell phone comms and music while flying without linking into my intercom/radio system - the latter is working well and there is NO WAY that I am going to interfere with that. Recently someone showed me a bluetooth set for motorbikes where the chassis of the unit, which installs in about 10 min, has a detachable unit for recharging and safekeeping. I then bought the teamset (for rider and pillion) for my motorbike and installed the pillion chassis on my gyroplane headset. I had to poprivit a small plate the lerft hand side earphone cover to which I mouonted the bluetooth chassis. To remove this and put it back on the helmet literally takes 5-10 min. The little speakers are very flat with velcro and just sticks to the inside of my headsets. (I will post a photo tonight).

I tested it last night and it works BEAUTIFULLY! It has clear sound both ways! The ONLY drawback is that you have a seperate mike but I installed it so that it is just below my radio mike and I just need to shift this slightly when I speak on the cellphone. You tap the side of the unit, give a voice command (name) and voila, your'e talking on your cell phone. Volume adjustment is on the unit as well and easily accessible. I have an enclosed gyro (RAF - ouch!) but I am sure this will work well on any other gyro as it works very well on a motorbike with all the wind noise.

Go to www.cardowireless.com and look for the scala rider. A single unit costs about R 1,100. I got mine from Helderberg Kawasaki (Jan can organise a good price). Have fun!!

Cheers,
RAVEN ZU-IAV
saraf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Bluetooth Comms While Flying

Postby saraf » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:45 pm

Hi Nick

Great, nou kan ek die manne hier by my ook dit laat insit.

Eben Jnr
Good instructors always speak well about all flying machines.
Bad instructors speak badly about machines they cannot fly.
NickL
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby NickL » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:16 am

The photos as promised
Scala01.jpg
Scala01.jpg (21.86 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
Scala02.jpg
Scala02.jpg (22.37 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
RAVEN ZU-IAV
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:42 am

Got mine for more than a year. Works well on the bike, but never thought of giving it a try in the gyro. Thanx for the idea. :idea:
P1000794.JPG
P1000794.JPG (66.31 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.