MT-Gyros 1,500 hour limit on airframes and rotors

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

Wagtail
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Re: MT-Gyros 1,500 hour limit on airframes and rotors

Postby Wagtail » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:27 pm

Just a question, what is the cost of the actual "bare frame"? When we performed the complete overhauls on the gyros at 1000 hours we anyway strip the gyro down to every last bolt and nut and the frame gets sandblasted and then inspected with dye-penetrant. This whole process to prepare the frame for inspection, take it in to Inspection Authority, get it back, prepare for spray and then to get it spayed again takes longer than to perform the complete ROTAX overhaul. I for one would actually not mind too much if I can just replace the frame with the absolute latest "model"...as long as the frame is not going to cost an arm and a leg.
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Learjet » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:52 pm

Gyrofan:
I know the gyros which are operated by Wagtail have very high hours. I asked Johan and he said the "fleet leader" stands at 3500 hours and some of the others are at 2000,1800 and lower hours.
3500 hours for "fleet leader"! Wow -what gyros are they using? They sure are clocking up some impressive hours. Given FO Gyro's points about type certified aircraft destructive testing to establish lifespans etc, it's also probably true to say that the gyros Wagtail are using are in a sense "pioneering and trailblazing" the aircraft hours way in excess of what would be typical for recreational gyro usage.
It would be interesting to hear from Wagtail what gyros they are using, and more specifically if there were / are any typical "high hour" problems or issues which they may have picked up along the way, and which could serve as a valuable safety "heads up" or "things to to look out for" as the recreational gyros follow (some way behind :wink: ) of their hour building footsteps. vhpy
Dave Lehr
Magni Gyro M22 ZU-EPZ
“You're flying Buzz! No Woody we're falling in style!”
johnht
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby johnht » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Ashley V wrote:Hi All.

Just been advised that there are 2 MT 03 gyros, and possibly a 3rd at Springs with structural damage to their main landing gear under the "sand paper" strip. All 3 have low hrs. For more info contact Geoff Brown on 083-601-1598

Regards
Ashley V
:shock: Hmmmm... it would probably take some very hard landings to cause that kind of damage - imho. Interesting it's just 'under the sandpaper strip'. :wink:

John