Gyro Squadron 196 - Cape Town to Wild Coast

The meeting place for gyronauts, gyronuts and those nuts about gyro's

Moderators: Condor, FO Gyro, Gyronaut

Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Gyro Squadron 196 - Cape Town to Wild Coast

Postby Gyronaut » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:31 pm

... and finally... Thanks to our Softnesses for letting us go play!
Attachments
DSCF3236.JPG
EVERYDAY I LIVE WITH FEAR BUT OCCASIONALLY SHE LETS ME GO FLYING
DSCF3236.JPG (84.46 KiB) Viewed 3063 times
DSC_9036.JPG
Happiness
DSC_9036.JPG (47.18 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
Last edited by Gyronaut on Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Low Level
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Low Level » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:20 pm

WOW - that's a way to tell a story of an awesome trip.

Great pics. s023 s023
Happiness is: Wanting what you have.
ZU-CFW
My soul called, and it wants it's life back. Only one thing to do. Let's fly.
FAWGie
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FAWGie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:53 pm

Nice Pictures JetRanger, you chaps must have had a huge amount of fun.....
Next time you pass East London....LAND ! Come visit us at Wings Park www.wingspark.co.za
Pilot infor here for planning: http://www.wingspark.co.za/wings/pilotinfo.asp
Far more to see and do than at Kei Mouth.... :twisted:
weedy
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby weedy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:21 pm

Now thats the type of flying I want to do :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Claude
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Thu May 01, 2008 10:38 am

Not long now Weedy, you have the machine, you have the instructors and you have the will. Go for it!!
You are going to have the time of your life!
Be safe

Len
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Learjet » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:00 pm

The pics have been posted...here's the story... 8)

GYRO SQUADRON 196 – WILD COAST TOUR APRIL 2008
Dave Lehr
The Cape Winelands fell away below us as “Gyro Squadron 196” began the climb towards Franschhoek Pass. Just minutes earlier we had bid farewell to our ground crew at Fisantekraal (FAFK) before taking to the skies in perfect weather, the three Magni M16 and Sycamore Eagle gyros forming up into a loose diamond formation with Jonathan taking the lead.

Safely over the mountains, we followed the Riviersonderend to Swellendam airfield, stopping briefly for a leg-stretch and fuel top-up before continuing along the course of the Breede River towards the coast. The ever-accommodating FAOB ATC cleared us to route coastwise through FAR47 from Witsand to the Gouritz River mouth, whereupon we traced the beaches, bays and inlets coastwise to Mossel Bay Aero (FAMO) for lunch. The scenic Garden Route coastline between Wilderness and Knysna must rank as one of the most breathtakingly beautiful areas of the country to fly over. Thickly wooded forests form the backdrop to towering headlands which shelter pristine white beaches and hidden holiday coves. We winged our way over the Knysna Heads before touching down at Plettenberg Bay (FAPG) as the sun dipped towards the horizon.

We awoke to another day of perfect weather, and before long the gyros were turning out over Robberg Peninsula and past Plett’s landmark Beacon Isle Hotel. The next section of coastline had presented the most worry during the flight planning, for the densely wooded Tsitsikamma Forest offers little in the way of landing options in the event of an emergency. Accordingly we kept a keen eye out for clearings and suitable landing options as the rolling forests, towering yellowwood trees and the Bloukrans and Storms River gorges passed below us. However, the trusty Rotax 914’s never missed a beat and we continued on our way though the sea breezes towards Cape St Francis, overtaking a fleet chokka fishing boats cutting a foamy wake in the blue sea alongside us. At J-Bay we looked down and marveled as surfers shared the waves with frolicking dolphins. Altering course to Pogress Aerodrome near Port Elizabeth we were welcomed by the Progress Flying Instructors and their students who seemed quite intrigued by the gaggle of whirlybirds which had dropped in at their airfield.

As the sun’s shadows grew in length, we decided to put down for the night at Port Alfred. A radio reception “dead spot” and dazzle from the setting sun created some confusion as to the runway layouts and ATC instructions, resulting in a less than elegant, if not altogether embarrassing, approach and put down at 43 Air School. Credit to the guys manning the tower who took it all in their stride as 3 gyros flew left base instead of right, and one landed on the taxiway! Not the most glorious of impressions to make at a flight training school, however our humble apologies were accepted and we were warmly welcomed at what is no doubt SA’s premiere flight training facility.

Our departure, more polite than our arrival, went smoothly and we lifted off from FAPA in neat formation and turned our noses towards East London and the Kei River Mouth (FAKE) where we put down on the rather bumpy grass and mole-heaped runway for a fuel top-up. Finally, we had arrived at the Wild Coast! Cattle on the beaches, rolling green hills dotted with thatched rondawels and groups of women collecting mussels along the rocky shorelines, waving a friendly welcome to the gyros flying overhead. It seemed little had changed since I had last holidayed here as a child, recognizing the resorts so familiar to generations of South African families – Trennery’s, Seagulls, Wavecrest and Mazeppa Bay. . Kob Inn looked far more splendid than I remembered it as a child, with a guest’s R44 parked on the lush lawn next to a sparkling swimming pool. Enjoying the uninterrupted views from my open cockpit we continued “low and slow” along unfrequented beaches nestled between estuaries, tidal lagoons and the coastal forests of the Dwesa Reserve. Ahead of us the red-domed lattice-tower lighthouse stood guard over The Haven, the staging point for the dramatic helicopter rescue of all 571 passengers and crew on board the doomed MTS Oceanos, which sank 5km offshore from the hotel in 1991.

Changing formation to line-astern, we crossed the impressive Mbashe River, swelled by recent rains and disgorging its muddied waters in a brown swathe into the azure blue sea. Inspecting The Haven runway from the air it quickly became apparent that despite the hotels assurances of the runways’ good condition beforehand, it was sorely in need of some dire maintenance by means of a bulldozer! With a rather alarming side-slope and numerous bumps and dongas there was little more than 100m of rough, barely-usable runway. However, one of the benefits of a gyro is that it can literally “land on a tickey” and no more so was this required than at The Haven! Heaving a sigh of relief for the uneventful landing and clutching the rocking cyclic with both hands and stomping on the rudder to keep straight I bounced rather than taxied my way over the steeply sloping and bumpy field towards the hotel. It may be called The Haven but I quickly re-christened its’ runway “The Hell”! We’d inadvertently chosen the roughest runway on the Wild Coast to operate out of for the next three days! A few hours later Manfred and Patrick arrived in the Isuzu trooper, looking very travel- weary. By all accounts the road conditions matched those of the runway and we all retired to the bar and promptly grounded ourselves with a much-needed drink!

The runway at Port St Johns is something of a legend in aviation circles. Perched on top of a headland over-looking the Umzimvubu River, the runway ends just metres away from a cliff-edge precipice falling headlong down to the river gorge below! We were all excited at the prospect of landing there, and after executing some seriously short-field take-offs from “The Hell” we enjoyed a very scenic flight along the coast to Hole-in-the-wall, where we circled the namesake rock formation before continuing along the cliff-topped shoreline and sandy beaches to Port St Johns. Undeterred by the Dakota stranded on the runway with a flat tyre, we touched down to find ourselves in the middle of a Ugandan Rebel army supply base. Dutch film- crews were putting the finishing touches to their “arms depot” movie set, whilst waiting for another plane to arrive from JHB with a spare wheel for the DC-3.
Taking off from FAPJ was a breathtaking thrill! Wheels-up and out over the abyss, the gyros swooped one after another, down into the gorge towards the river mouth. What an exhilarating experience and certainly one of the flying highlights of the trip!

Relieved to see the last of The Haven’s bumpy runway, our return leg saw us heading inland to Bisho for a refueling stop, and then onwards to the luxurious Hitgeheim Lodge near Addo Elephant Park. We’d decided to treat ourselves to a rather opulent overnight stay, sipping sundowners on the deck before sitting down for a mouth-watering four-course meal and a fine bottle or two from Archie’s impressive wine-cellar. A perfect finale to a long day’s flying!

The next day’s leg to Assegaay Bosch Lodge offered some good stretches of game viewing, the radios buzzing with chatter as buffalo, kudu, elephants and even rhino were spotted from the air. After a brief refueling stop at Willowmore, Len reported that his fuel-cap had popped open. Landing close to a farm-house to attend to it, he unluckily suffered a puncture in the process. Jonathan, Paul and I circled in behind him and we set-about repairing tyre with the help of the (somewhat surprised) farmer. However, true to the spirit of platteland hospitality, with the repairs done, we were treated to freshly-brewed coffee and his wife’s home-made cake, before waving our goodbyes.

Hidden between koppies, Assegaay Bosch has the potential to be a great fly-in destination. Comfortably appointed thatch-roofed cottages, an enormous enclosed lapa, replete with a herd of springbuck grazing on the lawn, the lodge also boasts an impressive 1500m runway a few minutes drive away.

After a hearty breakfast, we were airborne once again, flying through the valleys and over the rustic towns of Montagu and Barrydale which lay nestled amongst Autumn-leafed orchards and vineyards below. We slipped between the mountains at Ashton and touched down at Robertson (FARS) where Manfred and Patrick, our stalwart ground-crew, arrived with some welcome lunch. Our last fuel- stop completed, the gyros regrouped in formation to follow the meandering Breede River. At Worcester (FAWC) we happily obliged a friendly radio request from the local glider crowd for a fly-past at their airfield before resuming our course for the historic town of Tulbach. A windy climb over the final mountain-pass, and with a journey of more than 2,500km’s behind us, Fisantekraal and home finally came into view.

All in all, great flying, great company and great gyros! And in case you’re wondering… “196” was the collective age of the pilots. Seemed as good a name as any for our gaggle of gyros and I think “Gyro Squadron 196” just might be in line for some more flying adventures in the not too distant future!
Dave Lehr
Magni Gyro M22 ZU-EPZ
“You're flying Buzz! No Woody we're falling in style!”
jonathan o
Heard about flying

Postby jonathan o » Mon May 04, 2009 7:52 pm

Hi len
Pictures of your fly out are, as you say, truly awesome.
Not sure if you got my e mail or if in fact you will see this, but
would be good to "touch base"
Jonathan O
P.S. Apologies for unoriginal name!
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Mon May 04, 2009 9:05 pm

Hello Jonathan!

Wow, what a pleasant surprise to hear from you. Hope you have done lots of flying since you left here.

We have just finished an amazing trip of Botswana and the Okavango Delta, 50 hours in total and we had an awesome time.

Hurry back and come fly with us! I can always do with 'natural' students like you.

Kind regards

Len
Attachments
JOwen Gyro 006.jpg
JOwen Gyro 006.jpg (19.18 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
mikemat
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby mikemat » Wed May 06, 2009 2:02 pm

JetRanger wrote:Hello Jonathan!

Wow, what a pleasant surprise to hear from you. Hope you have done lots of flying since you left here.

We have just finished an amazing trip of Botswana and the Okavango Delta, 50 hours in total and we had an awesome time.

Hurry back and come fly with us! I can always do with 'natural' students like you.

Kind regards

Len
C'mon Len/Dave, bring on some foties of your Botswana trip!
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Wed May 06, 2009 4:51 pm

Dave Lehr is writing an article accompanied by photo's so I dont want to steal his thunder.

Jonathan took a classic picture of us holding for the DC3 at Gaberone International, DC3 pilot waving and Dave Lehr waving back. The DC3 Pilot said, "Sheez you guys must be cold" to which I of course answered... "well I'm not" :lol:
DSCN2535a.JPG
Some history on her:-

c/n 13541 Douglas DC-3/C-47 ZS-CAI

To USAAF as 42-93610 on 09 June 1944
To RAF Nassau as KG674 on 22 June 1944
To SAAF as 6838 on 23 July 1944

To Department of Transport as ZS-CAI on 21 August 1958. (Used for a variety of duties including navaid calibration.

Sold to (DRC-based) Business Aviation in Jan 2002

Purchased from Dewaldt Brussow by Skyclass Aviation on 25 May 2007 and named “Marilyn”.

Although named “Marilyn” she is affectionately know as “Charlie” and since the beginning of July 2007 has faithfully plied her trade as a freighter between OR Tambo International and Sir Seretse Khama International Airport, Gaborone in Botswana.

Skyclass has had a wonderful response from pilots wishing to fly her and all agree she is the sweetest Dak to fly.

When parked on Delta apron at OR Tambo she quickly becomes the centre of attraction with crew from around the world coming to visit her and commenting, “Oh how I would love to fly her”

ZS-CAI is fitted with a partial Remmert-Werner speed kit incorporating gear doors and a modified tail cone.

William F. Remmert and Bob Werner

Contributed by John Austin-Williams
8 October 2008
jonathan o
Heard about flying

Postby jonathan o » Mon May 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Hi Len
Your botswana trip sounds truly amazing.
It's only the memeory of our flying in S.A. that keeps me going.
Don't know if you received my e mail re flying at popham, the two lessons I had there
didnt go particularly well but Ithought I would persevere so I booked 5 more days to fly
for 2 hours each day. Unfortunately last week another student having landed after his
first solo flight was caught by a strong gust of wind with the cyclic not into wind. This
as you rightfully told me really spoilt his day, writing off the gyro.
Have found an alternative gyro school at rochester, about an hour & a half away & have
lesson booked for this Thursday. Really do hope the flying is more like the flying which I
so enjoyed in S.A.
If you had any pictures of your recent trip it would be great to see them.
Best regards
Jonathan
JetRanger wrote:Hello Jonathan!

Kind regards

Len
Gyronaut
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Gyronaut » Wed May 20, 2009 11:55 am

jonathan o wrote: If you had any pictures of your recent trip it would be great to see them.
LearJet and I have posted some pictures on viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10587

Go take a look!

Rgds

Len