Mozambique Border - Entering w. a Trike on a trailer

Fly-in destinations and airfield information - also use this forum to make contact with people in other areas
ndiza
Found a flight school

Mozambique Border - Entering w. a Trike on a trailer

Postby ndiza » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:37 pm

Does anyone know what is involved in taking a trike (on a trailer) across the border into Mozambique... Would appreciate any advice, Pls?
Stephen (ZU-BTR)
www.realti.co.za
Mobile +27 82 600 5881
ndiza
Found a flight school

Postby ndiza » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:58 pm

This came from Steve McCurrach via the SAMicro Newsgroup. Have posted it here in case anyone else is interested.
----------------------------------
Hello Stephen,

In answering your question; I believe quite a lot depends on which border you're using to enter Moz. The Komati border officials have been known to get very bureaucratic and hassle a person needlessly. At Ponto D'ouro on the other hand it has been accomplished often and regularly.

Having said that; take the proper precaution of obtaining a flight clearance from Moz ATC for the duration of your stay. I say this because whilst the Moz people appear laid back/island style, they do take their rules and officialdom quite seriously. For example, if you set up camp/home somewhere and start operating off the beach, you WILL be approached by the local 'Marine/Port Captain' and asked for your flight clearance. Without which he will get 'heavy' with you - whether in seriousness or in order to extort some money from you, nevertheless he will. However, I have found, providing you have your paperwork and airmanship in order and you do not lie down too easily (understanding that being too subservient and polite, is almost taken as a sign of weakness in Africa) then you will be met with cooperation and a smile.

I transited through Maputo International with a 3 axis microlight recently (end July) and the perceived bureaucracy was non existent. In fact on our return voyage it took exactly 25min from parking to firing up again, and this included fuelling, immigration and filing of a flight plan - but we had everything in order and to a certain extent 'acted like we own the place'. Previously at Ponto Malongane with a Trike the primary issue,was to first visit the Marine Officer, show him the issued flight clearance, tell him what you're going to be doing, specifying that you will be staying away from the people in the beaches, further specifying (window dressing) that Maputo have told you that there are no further fees applicable, but "can I buy you a beer"? i.e. go to him first, not the other way around and whilst doing so, use the stance of implied consent, rather than begging his consent.

Contact details and layout/details required for a flight clearance are as follows and you need to submit this about 2 weeks prior to your intended entry in Moz. Don't send it too early, they'll lose it, or pay it no attention and doing it too late puts you under pressure.

Att: Pedro or Edmundo

Flight Clearances Department

Direcao Nacional de Aviacio Civil
Ph No.: 09 2581 465 685 & Fax No.: 09 2581 465 415 or 466 272

Durban, South Africa

Ph: +27 XXXXX Fax: +27 XXXXX
Page 1 of 1 Monday, March 07, 2005

Att: Pedro/Edmundo,

RE: APPLICATION FOR FLIGHT CLEARANCE/PERMIT – (YOUR NAME) ZU-GWW

I will appreciate your assisting me with this flight clearance application. You previously assisted me in March of this year.

Flight Region

We intend to depart from Durban International airport and to enter Mozambique at Maputo International. We will then fly to Beira along the coast and return along the same track from Beira to Maputo and then Durban. (Here you will substitute with: We will be trailering the aircraft in at XXX border, for rigging and use at XXX region only and departing by the same route.)

Aircraft Details

The aircraft is a two seat Rainbow Aircraft Cheetah (type Z 194), registration ZU-GWW and with a cruise of 70knots and a maximum service ceiling of FL90. We have a range of 600kms and will be two crew only – myself and XXXXXXX.

Color is black and green. (Wherever possible avoid any mention of 'Microlight', they have a dim view of microlights and yet are quite cooperative with light aircraft clearance requests. I was asked on several occasions if this application was for a microlight and in the knowledge that I would likely be refused, I steadfastly stuck to repeating the fact that it was a rainbow cheetah, type Z194)

Purpose of Flight

The purpose of the flight is recreational.

Dates and Duration of Flight

We intend flying into Maputo on Monday 18th July and departing on Saturday 23rd July. A total of 6 days.

I will look forward to calling you in a day or two, to get a clearance number. Your assistance is much appreciated.

With thanks

A suggestion: If you can (providing your road travel takes you through Maputo) then first prize is to visit the ATC, armed with a bottle of Whisky and go greet them, clarify who you are, what you're doing and hand over your 'token of appreciation'. I've not needed to do this, but a Nelspruit resident and regular visitor, who I chatted with on the beach and who's name I've forgotten (but I think its the David that Russell has suggested you call), did exactly this and it was warmly received and has resulted in the door always being open for him.

Stephen, my closing comment is that you'll love Moz and the unbelievable flying it has to offer, but tread carefully; you don't want to cock things up for the wealth of aviators who will be visiting there in coming years and you certainly don't want to land in a position where you need to be CASEVAC'ed out of there.

Keep it tidy and Happy landings, Cheers
Steve
Stephen (ZU-BTR)
www.realti.co.za
Mobile +27 82 600 5881
ZU-ANE

Postby ZU-ANE » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:53 pm

Hi guys, have been of the air the past month. I have bussinesses in Moz and also a member of the aeroclub there. You require two things if you whish to fly in moz. 1 is flight clearence from DCA and 2. you need to inform the Aero club of moz. If you intend to fly in then clearence will be a breeze. If you trailer in you will need a letter from the aeroclub in moz that will tell the customs officials of your intentions and there shouldn't be a problem they will also then apply for clearance on your behalve. They will impound your aircraft or send you back if you do not have these papers. Pm me for my cell nr and i will assist whith tel nr's. I was told by the officials that they will be even more strict than in the past because of SA pilots not plying by Moz rules. PS. Bribes at the border will get you no where.
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:23 am

ZU-ANE wrote: PS. Bribes at the border will get you no where.
Fortunately as it just creates an expectation for the next sorry soul :roll: