Botswana Non certified Type Permission

Fly-in destinations and airfield information - also use this forum to make contact with people in other areas
Andrew M
Found a flight school

Postby Andrew M » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:46 am

Hi

I am planning a trip to Botswana and would like to operate in Botswana and cross the border in my Bushbaby (non certified aircraft)
Has anyone recently got such permission from the Botswana authorities to do this?

From a brief conversation with the Botswana DCA they first told me I need to de-rig and trailer across the border. I mentioned to them that my aircraft does not de-rig easily and I need to fly in and I have been informed to submit an application to this effect and they will evaluate it.

On one of the other topics I read it appear there are duties applicable when cross by road but not by air, any comments on this.

Any advice would be useful.

Andrew
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:05 am

Get hold of Dave Amstrong. I don't have his number with me, but he was linked to the RAF Gyro, maybe Eben and co can help with his number. He is based in Bots and they had an RV flying there not so long ago that he helped arrange. All the RV's are ZU reg'd.
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
avgas
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby avgas » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:53 pm

Get letter from our CAA to confirm you have an valid ATF etc.
Fax it to their DCA with your intentions. Rather say that you have a NTCA than microlight as they think all microlights must look like samoosas :wink: and that they de-rig easily .
They may want you to to have a transponder but just say SORRY cant comply. There is a Bush baby opperating in Maun. Dries Krause owns it.
Pm me if you need more info. We are going there again 4 sure.
Cheers
RN
Real men don't have to kill a Rhino for a Horn
Balls to the wall
Andrew M
Found a flight school

Postby Andrew M » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:02 pm

Thanks for the information.

I called the Botswana DCA and got pretty much the same instruction you gave.

I will post a reply later if all went well with the application.
Old, Fat and Hairy
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Re: Botswana Non certified Type Permission

Postby Old, Fat and Hairy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:29 am

Any more news?
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Botswana Non certified Type Permission

Postby Morph » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:14 am

You have to carry your full flight folio including your registration card, ATF. You will need a Radio Station licence from ICASA for the plane. You will need your 3rd party insuranc plus a letter from Misasa stating that you have insurance. No transponders are needed but then you must specify when contacting BCA

All flights into Botswana require a flight plan, you have to phone BCA before departure and log this plan with them. Also you will need to find out which airfields have customs and imigration for exiting and entering RSA/Bots
Greg Perkins